Who has read Darwin's Book?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Who has read Darwin's Book?
How many guys have read "The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex"??
Explain, What is it about ...

Hp
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2014, 11:33 AM
RE: Who has read Darwin's Book?
(07-02-2014 12:02 AM)khushko Wrote:  How many guys have read "The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex"??

Hp

The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex

Google is your friend. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
07-02-2014, 11:41 AM
(07-02-2014 11:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 12:02 AM)khushko Wrote:  How many guys have read "The Descent of Man and Selection in Relation to Sex"??

Hp

The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex

Google is your friend. Drinking Beverage

I think you mean The Descent of Man, and Selection in Relation to Sex?

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
07-02-2014, 11:54 AM
I'm guessing here that when the new poster finds out very few people have read the book they'll start accusing us of having faith in evolution and that it's just another religion. And that if so then why reject Christianity?
[+] 1 user Likes Mathilda's post
15-02-2014, 08:09 PM
I read a book once.

You can take the egotistically-fathomed dogmatic moral system you call what "should be" and shove it up your asshole for thinking it's applicable to anyone but yourself.
[+] 2 users Like JesusChrist's post
15-02-2014, 08:26 PM

Hp

I'll have to try to find a copy.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
18-02-2014, 03:34 PM (This post was last modified: 18-02-2014 03:42 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
I have four of Darwin's volumes. I've only read any of it for historical purposes. I try to spend most of my valuable reading time on current, up to date, information. (I only mean valuable in that I have limited time, not because my time is so important)

But I do find it highly valuable to at least review it for the sake of understanding the history of scientific advancement. But it is not necessary to do, considering the myriad of all the very advanced, and extremely detailed current sources available which cover the same content in far greater detail and answer the still unanswered questions at the time.

I just finished reading A Short History of Nearly Everything. And even though it was written in 2004, only ten years ago, there are already a number of areas in which I realized, at the time of publication, they did not have the knowledge of that we do today. So the book misses some things, and makes comments at times about how we are likely to never know the answer to this or that, but in reality, today in 2014 we do.

The point I’m getting at is more of a question: why are you interested?

If you are interested for the purpose of a snap shot of leading edge scientific thought at the time, or for a historical scientific reference, then by all means, read it. But if you are asking because you want to study the decent of man, there has been far more work and evidence done that has expanded, build upon, and exceeded this volume, including things Darwin himself would have had no concept of nor reason to have had such a concept at the time. Such as the mechanism of inheritance; gene theory. Or the physical structure of genes; DNA.

However if the actual reason you ask is to try to call out, either atheist or those who accept evolution, as having never actually read Darwin, then you are making a fallacious point. Your question may be genuine, and if so, refer only to what I’ve written prior to this paragraph. However, if this is in fact what you are attempting to do, then please note that

1) atheist do not have to read Darwin, or anything for that matter. They need only not believe in “God/gods”.
2) anyone who studies evolution is not required to read Darwin, as it’s not the person who wrote the text that matters. It’s the theory and the evidence for it that they need understand, and that continues to exist in the same state regardless.

Any number of books produce by biologist or any other scientist in an evolutionary related field can be resources for the same information, because it’s not based on one man’s idea which must be adhered to, but on the physiological realities of the world in which we find ourselves. If, hypothetically, Darwin never existed, if, hypothetically, his books were never written, at some point, (very closely to when he did publish, I might add) someone else would have come to the same conclusions, and the same information would be written about, because we live in the same world with the same reality.

I do find it interesting though, if all religions disappeared without a trace or memory, and we started all over again, man may reinvent a religion of some sort, some general concepts may be similar, but not a single detail would be the same, and not one single religion in existence today, would be created again. Because religions is based on imagination, and evolution is based on physical realities.

18-02-2014, 04:09 PM

Hp

I have the DVD.

But it's now called "Dude Goes Down on a Choice of Chick-holes!"

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
19-02-2014, 08:12 AM
(07-02-2014 11:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm guessing here that when the new poster finds out very few people have read the book they'll start accusing us of having faith in evolution and that it's just another religion. And that if so then why reject Christianity?

Don't know about this site, but I've seen this tactic applied on other sites.

(says he with a magnificent 18 posts to date...)
[+] 1 user Likes jockmcdock's post
27-02-2014, 01:27 AM
(19-02-2014 08:12 AM)jockmcdock Wrote:  
(07-02-2014 11:54 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I'm guessing here that when the new poster finds out very few people have read the book they'll start accusing us of having faith in evolution and that it's just another religion. And that if so then why reject Christianity?

Don't know about this site, but I've seen this tactic applied on other sites.

(says he with a magnificent 18 posts to date...)

You guys don't worry, I won't do anything like that.. Just asking bcz I want to know, what is it about ???