Who is Rick Roderick?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2013, 09:45 AM
Who is Rick Roderick?
Do I even want to know? I&I sent me a PM with one of this guy's videos in it and he suggests I watch his other videos.

I will assume it's not worth the eyestrain till one of you can tell me otherwise.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2013, 09:47 AM
RE: Who is Rick Roderick?
(24-11-2013 09:45 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Do I even want to know? I&I sent me a PM with one of this guy's videos in it and he suggests I watch his other videos.

I will assume it's not worth the eyestrain till one of you can tell me otherwise.

How did I&I send a PM? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2013, 09:47 AM (This post was last modified: 24-11-2013 09:54 AM by Anjele.)
My bad, on the other forum.

But who is he and what's he about?

24-11-2013, 10:34 AM
He was (he's deceased) a philosophy professor at Duke who was known for being an exceptionally gifted teacher of the "continental" tradition in philosophy, so people like Heidegger, the Frankfurt School critical theorists, Foucault, etc. He is really a very gifted teacher, and whilst for some figures his interpretations are questionable (his interpretation of Nietzsche for example), most of the time his lectures are a really good way to get a quick intro to certain philosophers. I'd recommend him.
24-11-2013, 10:36 AM
(24-11-2013 10:34 AM)Philo Wrote:  He was (he's deceased) a philosophy professor at Duke who was known for being an exceptionally gifted teacher of the "continental" tradition in philosophy, so people like Heidegger, the Frankfurt School critical theorists, Foucault, etc. He is really a very gifted teacher, and whilst for some figures his interpretations are questionable (his interpretation of Nietzsche for example), most of the time his lectures are a really good way to get a quick intro to certain philosophers. I'd recommend him.

Thank you for the response...though I am feeling a bit intimidated, I may check it out at least to see if I can even understand any of it. I am not versed in philosophy.

24-11-2013, 11:17 AM
(24-11-2013 10:36 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Thank you for the response...though I am feeling a bit intimidated, I may check it out at least to see if I can even understand any of it. I am not versed in philosophy.

You don't need to be, that's what's wonderful about him. I believe the lectures were recorded for "The Great Courses" or another one of those video series, so are aimed at the general public.
[+] 1 user Likes Philo's post