Subject F gets news from CNN.com and Foxnews.com
Subject G gets news from MSNBC.com and Foxnews.com
Subject H gets news from CNN.com and MSNBC.com
I like Jello
[Show Results]

Who is best informed.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-09-2015, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2015 10:49 AM by ClydeLee.)
RE: Who is best informed.
Today on those stations they are showing John McCain rattle off on another one of his crotchety tirades the same way that was also probably broadcast on CSPAN2 for those who wanted to see it... then they began to talk about the headline that the Pope has met with Kim Davis... so anyone not watching those channels is the best informed.

It also still leaves open the question, informed on what? What politicians are doing? What issues are popular according to those news stations talking about those particular & just those particular issues? Informed on data that only affect the US interests? That's probably more a strike against those formulating the questions and data but at times it is based on certain ideas like what were the results of the Iraq war & what was found in Iraq, post 9/11 data, certain election data, and some polls bring in international questions more. There was some studies about watching Fox+other things were better informed but purely fox was the least informed. Though after some years data also included more than just those networks a lot more.

http://dcinno.streetwise.co/2014/02/07/s...x-viewers/

http://www.inquisitr.com/2105906/fox-new...n-adviser/

http://www.poynter.org/news/mediawire/17...-informed/

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-09-2015, 11:24 AM
Define best informed.

According to the 2013 State of the News Media study by Pew MSNBC programming is dominated by commentary and opinion programing. Both Fox and CNN have a better balance between commentary/opinion and factual reporting with Fox leaning slightly commentary/opinion and CNN leaning slightly factual reporting. So theoretically a person could watch all three and only get commentary/opinion which would be bad as far as being informed goes.

[Image: 1-On-MSNBC-Opinion-Dominates-Reporting.png]

That’s only part of the equation though. Even factual reporting can be biased as far as what is reported on. Most would say that MSNBC is heavily biased to the left and Fox is heavily biased to the right. Most studies I have seen say CNN has a more neutral stance with only a slight bias to left although most conservatives probably disagree with that assessment of CNN. That being said a person could get more facts and less bias by watching only CNN, but the bottom line is anyone who depends any combination of these 3 networks alone for information is a fucking idiot.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
30-09-2015, 11:30 AM
There was a study in the last year or so that found people who only watched Fox News were less informed than people who said they watched no news. That's pretty damning of Fox.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-09-2015, 11:31 AM
(30-09-2015 03:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If one doesn't get news from any of those sources, how informed is one?

Blush

... and I vote for Muffsy's preservations of the English language.

Thumbsup

The poll is only about the subjects described in the poll. It isn't about you or any other forum member. Your news sources could be completely different and you could be the most informed person in the world. Having different news sources does not preclude you from deciding who, among the subjects described in the poll, is the most informed subject.
30-09-2015, 11:34 AM
(30-09-2015 11:30 AM)BnW Wrote:  There was a study in the last year or so that found people who only watched Fox News were less informed than people who said they watched no news. That's pretty damning of Fox.

Did people who watched no news also beat out people who only watched CNN or MSNBC?

I don't watch news cause I don't watch TV. Instead I read it.
30-09-2015, 11:36 AM
(30-09-2015 11:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 11:30 AM)BnW Wrote:  There was a study in the last year or so that found people who only watched Fox News were less informed than people who said they watched no news. That's pretty damning of Fox.

Did people who watched no news also beat out people who only watched CNN or MSNBC?

I don't watch news cause I don't watch TV. Instead I read it.

here is a link to a report on the study.

It was further back than I realized. 2012.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
30-09-2015, 11:46 AM
(30-09-2015 11:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(30-09-2015 03:48 AM)DLJ Wrote:  If one doesn't get news from any of those sources, how informed is one?

Blush

... and I vote for Muffsy's preservations of the English language.

Thumbsup

The poll is only about the subjects described in the poll. It isn't about you or any other forum member. Your news sources could be completely different and you could be the most informed person in the world. Having different news sources does not preclude you from deciding who, among the subjects described in the poll, is the most informed subject.

Apologies. It was an ill-formed question ... mainly I just posted to make the jam joke.

What I meant was ... what if one watches no news.

Like you, I don't watch any news. Unlike you, neither do I read it.

Olds, on the other hand, I consume tons of olds.

Wink

30-09-2015, 02:02 PM
I use Reuters.

http://www.reuters.com/

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-09-2015, 03:00 PM
I watch PBS news. Even though it can be so dry sometimes that it makes me want to poke my eyeballs out, it is the best source of unbiased news that I've found.

.... And when it isn't dry, it's actually quite good. There are usually reports in there that no one else is covering but are very informative.
30-09-2015, 06:58 PM (This post was last modified: 30-09-2015 07:07 PM by GirlyMan.)
(30-09-2015 03:00 PM)Aliza Wrote:  I watch PBS news. Even though it can be so dry sometimes that it makes me want to poke my eyeballs out, it is the best source of unbiased news that I've found.

.... And when it isn't dry, it's actually quite good. There are usually reports in there that no one else is covering but are very informative.

I like PBS. I like Al Jazzera America for the same reason.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post