Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?
George Carlin died back in '08, but every time I look up the most recent "New Rules" from Bill Maher, or the latest comedic snippet from John Stewart, or Charlie Brooker on YouTube, I'll find a vid with Carlin's name in it, & I'm still entertained by his standup and interviews! His ability to tell it like it is, and have it be hilarious was the best entertainment I've ever known. I was once a believer because it's how I was raised, and though I'd already started saying to myself "this is bullshit", Carlin was the 1st person of fame who I saw on TV, or heard on the radio, who (at least I felt) had the guts to speak on it. I'm sure there's others that came before him, that I haven't heard, but none would be able to take his place in my memory! R.I.Oblivion George Carlin. No
Who's your favorite of all time?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2013, 01:17 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 09:44 PM by HU.Junyuan.)
RE: Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?
Mr. DENG Xiaoping, former Secretary General of the Communist Party of China, and the Chief Architect of China's Reform and Opening up. A great man. Had great impact on hundreds of millions of Chinese people's lives. Changed the whole world in some aspects.

Edit: He seemed not that helpful for the development of atheism in the west. Didn't get point. My bad.

Edit: I love Jon Stewart for his daily show !

Want something? Then do something.
[+] 3 users Like HU.Junyuan's post
03-04-2013, 01:22 PM
Gowing up Catholic in a Catholic town and attending Catholic schools, George Carlin was the first person I ever heard taking shots at the Church. I could relate to some of his old bits about being in Catholic school as a kid. Sister Mary Elephant and other skits. I followed his career right to the end.

While I liked his other topics, his religious ones let me know that you can doubt and you can say it out loud. Back in the 70s I could recite most of his stuff. He probably opened the door a bit for me to look outstide of my insular world.

See here they are, the bruises, some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
03-04-2013, 02:04 PM
(03-04-2013 01:22 PM)Anjele Wrote:  Gowing up Catholic in a Catholic town and attending Catholic schools, George Carlin was the first person I ever heard taking shots at the Church. I could relate to some of his old bits about being in Catholic school as a kid. Sister Mary Elephant and other skits. I followed his career right to the end.

While I liked his other topics, his religious ones let me know that you can doubt and you can say it out loud. Back in the 70s I could recite most of his stuff. He probably opened the door a bit for me to look outstide of my insular world.

The people right here! Especially Egor who is the greatest atheist of them all.

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
03-04-2013, 02:29 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 02:33 PM by Vosur.)
My favorite is Baron d'Holbach (the man in my avatar).

His work "Good Sense" was a delightful read.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
03-04-2013, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 02:37 PM by Full Circle.)
Me. I'm my own favorite atheist Big Grin
A close second has to be Mark Twain for writting "Letter From the Earth" and third Bertrand Russell for writting "The Devil's Dictionary".

*** Links
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mvz/bible/ltrs-from-earth.pdf

http://www.hermetics.org/pdf/Bierce,_Amb...ionary.pdf

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
03-04-2013, 02:34 PM
(03-04-2013 02:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  My favorite is Baron d'Holbach (the man in my avatar).

His work "Good Sense" was a delightful read.

Thanks for the link Thumbsup

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
03-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Lord Erxy

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
03-04-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm always tied between Christopher Hitchens and Neil deGrasse Tyson (even though he isn't one for the atheist label).

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes yumeji's post
03-04-2013, 03:32 PM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2013 03:39 PM by PoolBoyG.)
The way I'd classify "favourite atheist" is a person who is directly and openly responsible for the growth of atheism in an intelligent and ethical manor, even after they've passed on.

There may be a few people who fit the category, but they carry other baggage that promote other questionable things. Hitchens was mentioned - he was promoter of US invasions and occupations, and maybe possibly probably a misogynist?

The person that I have in mind that promotes atheism and not anything else that's questionable would be Matt Dillahunty or Stephen Fry (no racism, sexism, homophobia, militarism, class war, supernaturalism, no agnostic nonsense, etc)

I have a few individuals in mind that I want to say are my favourite, but they haven't openly promoted atheism.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post