Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-04-2013, 03:40 PM
Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?
I miss Carl Sagan. Nobody could explain the nonsense of superstition so clearly while simultaneously being so polite about it as he could.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
03-04-2013, 03:46 PM
RE: Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?
Robert A. Heinlein.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
03-04-2013, 04:56 PM
It's tough to pick a favorite, there are so many great minds coupled with a great delivery like Hitchens and Sagan that have had a real impact on by beliefs. But I will always have a soft spot in my heart for George Carlin. I was 12 or 13 when I purchased "Class Clown". I was raised Roman Catholic and I think that that album was a real turning point for me. It was the first time I heard someone saying what I was thinking. What was really quite funny is that it was my mother (still a very devout R.C.) who turned me on to George, letting me stay up late to see him on Johnny Carson. She had no idea what kind of material was on his records. I was looking forward to showing her that record but after playing it, I decided to hide it from her. TV was so sanitized back in those days, you would never have heard his routines about the church on the Tonight Show. I saw George perform in 1976 and it counts as one of the most memorable performances I've ever experienced.

When I joined TTA, my signature was an easy choice.

"Which is more likely: that the whole natural order is suspended, or that a jewish minx should tell a lie?"- David Hume
[+] 2 users Like Heathen's post
03-04-2013, 05:31 PM
(03-04-2013 03:32 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  There may be a few people who fit the category, but they carry other baggage that promote other questionable things. Hitchens was mentioned - he was promoter of US invasions and occupations, and maybe possibly probably a misogynist?

Hitchens wasn't a promoter of "US invasion and occupations", that is usually attributed to his adamant support of the Iraq war, but that doesn't make him automatically in favor of all "US invasion and occupations".

With that, he was also far from a misogynist. That seems to be more from his "Women aren't funny" article in Vanity Fair. You may disagree with what he wrote, can't say I agree with all of it myself. But his overwhelming support for empowerment of women tends to nick that one in the butt.

[Image: atheistsignature.jpg]
03-04-2013, 09:28 PM
(03-04-2013 05:31 PM)yumeji Wrote:  
(03-04-2013 03:32 PM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  There may be a few people who fit the category, but they carry other baggage that promote other questionable things. Hitchens was mentioned - he was promoter of US invasions and occupations, and maybe possibly probably a misogynist?

Hitchens wasn't a promoter of "US invasion and occupations", that is usually attributed to his adamant support of the Iraq war, but that doesn't make him automatically in favor of all "US invasion and occupations".

With that, he was also far from a misogynist. That seems to be more from his "Women aren't funny" article in Vanity Fair. You may disagree with what he wrote, can't say I agree with all of it myself. But his overwhelming support for empowerment of women tends to nick that one in the butt.

Hitchens reasoning behind his support for the Iraq war is one of the few things that keep me from completly dismissing it as total folly. Granted I think he was in a very small minority that actualy was worried about human rights. As to the mysogynist thing I think his massive support of all oppresed women speaks for itself.

As for my favorite atheist wow thats hard, probably George Carlin and Christopher Hitchens.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
03-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Easily my favorite has to be Bill Maher, comedy comes first to him, but wow does it have such insight on things. I don't think I've seen an episode of his show that I haven't liked.

“My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrell
[+] 1 user Likes Misenhelter's post
03-04-2013, 09:36 PM
(03-04-2013 02:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  My favorite is Baron d'Holbach (the man in my avatar).

His work "Good Sense" was a delightful read.

Thanks for linking Good Sense Without God or Freethoughts Opposed to Supernatural Ideas. Thumbsup

04-04-2013, 12:09 AM
Hm... TJust to stand out I think one of my favorite atheists is Richard Feynman, but I don't know what his impact might be on atheism at large.
04-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Re: Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?
All of you are my favorite atheists! <3

But... I would go with Penn Jillette. Part hilarious and a quality skeptic, yet of not for him, I don't know when I would of realized I was am atheist over just an agnostic/God doubter as I felt.
[+] 3 users Like ClydeLee's post
04-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Hmm...I'm gonna do my own thing here and expand to include all people of irreligion.

I personally like

Thomas Jefferson
Voltaire
Mark Twain
David Hume
Benjamin Franklin
Isaac Asimov
George Bernard Shaw
Douglas Adams
Woody Allen
Ricky Gervais
James Randi
Stephan Fry

I probably left quite few off, but I like those. I don't know I have a 'favorite'. I like different people for different reasons.

[+] 1 user Likes Dark Light's post