Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2013, 05:33 PM
RE: Who is, or was your favorite Atheist?
Alan Turing. - "Science is a differential equation. Religion is a boundary condition."

Breathing - it's more art than science.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-04-2013, 06:12 PM
Of those who've been mentioned, Carlin and Jillette are both among my favorites. Carlin for his brave stand against not only religion but many other forms of indoctrination. Penn Jillette for a lot of the same reasons but he is also pretty vocal about his libertarian philosophy and that was a position I held for many, many years.

More recently and, much more comprehensively, Stefan Molyneux. As a philosopher, he reached his atheism the same way I did, through the tireless pursuit of truth, regardless of how unpleasant it might be. Unlike any other philosopher I've read, his examination of truth is not confined to a single perspective, such as politics or spirituality. Rather, he combines the discipline with all other disciplines relevant to the human condition and thus, is able to reach conclusions with (as close as is possible) the maximum amount of empirical evidence available.

I toyed with the idea of voluntarism for a long time but was never able to perceive how humanity could achieve it. His introduction of psychology into the practical understanding and application of philosophical principles filled the remaining voids, which is something that philosophers have been struggling with for years... if not centuries.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-04-2013, 06:15 PM
Cristina Rad. Big Grin

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
04-04-2013, 06:36 PM
(04-04-2013 06:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Cristina Rad. Big Grin

I love hot redheads, too Wink
wut?

04-04-2013, 06:46 PM
(04-04-2013 06:15 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Cristina Rad. Big Grin

I'll see your Cristina Rad and raise you a suvarenee!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
04-04-2013, 06:57 PM
My favorite by far is Christopher Hitchens. Not only is he a supporter of atheism and logic, he is a person I share most views with. D'holbach is another good one, and I personally enjoy quoting him in many discussions because he is articulate and scaldingly logical in terms of dismissing God.

(Props to Vosur for linking you guys the work, I would have done it myself had he not already.)

When I have the time, I will find the video which really made me like Christopher a lot more... He showed so much passion about the topic he was addressing that it left me feeling like:

"This guy is really sincere in his thoughts and the process of thinking."

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
04-04-2013, 08:12 PM
(04-04-2013 06:57 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  My favorite by far is Christopher Hitchens. Not only is he a supporter of atheism and logic, he is a person I share most views with. D'holbach is another good one, and I personally enjoy quoting him in many discussions because he is articulate and scaldingly logical in terms of dismissing God.

(Props to Vosur for linking you guys the work, I would have done it myself had he not already.)

When I have the time, I will find the video which really made me like Christopher a lot more... He showed so much passion about the topic he was addressing that it left me feeling like:

"This guy is really sincere in his thoughts and the process of thinking."

I know he is practically an institution to a lot of Atheists, especially the young, or new Atheists, I can't/couldn't fucking stand him. I fucking hated that sociologists lumped me in with him. It's all political though. I find his political views repugnant and even enraging. It would be difficult to find someone who had a more polar political stance from me than Hitchens.

04-04-2013, 08:22 PM

I think Penn really said it best

[Image: Hitchhikersguide_zps7678fbae.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-04-2013, 10:15 PM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2013 10:19 PM by amyb.)
Heh, nice Penn Point there, I agree with much of that.

I sort of love/hate Hitchens, personally. I have a whole shelf full of his books, but I'm not as into him as some people I know seem to be. I still need to finish reading Mortality, also. As for Penn, I enjoyed a lot stuff he's done. I don't always agree with him, but he's entertaining and says a lot of shit that makes sense. I can understand a dislike of him though, sometimes I read stuff and just something about his attitudes and personality rubs me the wrong way.

Everybody seems to dislike Sam Harris (I don't think he's mentioned in the thread, but I mean generally) but I like a lot of things about him, as well, though I also disagree with a lot of things. I enjoy reading his books and listening to him talk, as long as he's not debating, because he's a shit debater. But I think he sometimes brings up good points, and good things to think about further, even if he is occasionally completely full of shit.

I think Dawkins is adorable.

I don't know if I have a favorite atheist. I sometimes go on Carlin binges on Netflix.
[+] 1 user Likes amyb's post
04-04-2013, 11:20 PM
George carlin, definitely. he was and is a great comic relief for me after a confrontation from the other side of the fence....

Richard Dawkins is my other fave. and not just due to his intellect. his voice is somehow soothing to me. idk why lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Favorite pictures for a laugh at everything else... EvolutionKills 233 5,041 Yesterday 08:37 PM
Last Post: aurora
  Atheist TV Drunkin Druid 30 280 29-07-2014 04:18 PM
Last Post: Cardinal Smurf
  Favorite videos for a laugh at religion rampant.a.i. 7 168 23-07-2014 04:34 AM
Last Post: DemonicLemon
  Atheist Record for the Ages GawDamn 0 69 01-07-2014 07:38 AM
Last Post: GawDamn
  The World Through Atheist Goggles. lucradis 108 9,857 23-05-2014 02:10 AM
Last Post: Shadow Fox
  Resources to Atheist Content Forthright Atheist 3 91 22-05-2014 07:53 AM
Last Post: earmuffs
Brick The Thinking Atheist on Rational Wiki Zero 4 226 20-03-2014 05:32 PM
Last Post: Zero