Who is our next Hitchens ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2012, 06:07 PM
Who is our next Hitchens ?
Christopher Hitchens was my "Ah ha" moment 2 years ago when I saw his debate against Alister McGrath. http://www.videosurf.com/video/christoph...h-62236252

A podcast I was listening to today had a small excerpt from another of his speeches and it made me think of how extraordinary he was. Do we atheists have anybody in the near future that can come close to his brilliance? I like Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and many others but none have the same magnificent delivery that Hitchens possessed.

I wasn't . . . until I was
I am . . . until I'm not
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like free2011's post
02-02-2012, 06:48 PM
RE: Who is our next Hitchens ?
(02-02-2012 06:07 PM)free2011 Wrote:  Christopher Hitchens was my "Ah ha" moment 2 years ago when I saw his debate against Alister McGrath. http://www.videosurf.com/video/christoph...h-62236252

A podcast I was listening to today had a small excerpt from another of his speeches and it made me think of how extraordinary he was. Do we atheists have anybody in the near future that can come close to his brilliance? I like Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and many others but none have the same magnificent delivery that Hitchens possessed.

I agree. Hitch was awesome.
He made points that most others don't touch. He was a great man.
Few are as well read and as articulate. We would be most lucky to find another similar person to come to the podium.

It's all in your head, because there is no other place it could be.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-02-2012, 07:13 PM
Hitchens is irreplaceable.
Don’t fear, the free thinking movement is organic.
We are like a virus, but the good kind.
We grew because of him and we will continue to grow because of all of us.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
02-02-2012, 07:16 PM
(02-02-2012 06:07 PM)free2011 Wrote:  Christopher Hitchens was my "Ah ha" moment 2 years ago when I saw his debate against Alister McGrath. http://www.videosurf.com/video/christoph...h-62236252

The conservative forces (before the wacky religious right gained ascendance) had the erudite, compelling voice of William F. Buckley, Jr. He died in 2007 and no one has taken his place.
It may be that we only get one voice per generation per side. Sad

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
02-02-2012, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 02-02-2012 11:29 PM by Hughsie.)
Dawkins is for me what Hitchens seems to be for most of you. The guy's a total legend!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
03-02-2012, 11:23 AM
I like Hitchens but he wasn't the guy for me.

The question may be different as I see it but I also don't think there is another one out there for now.

The brilliance with language accompanied with a drunken bumbling state in public with his sometimes extreme conservative stances make the collection of how great Hitchens had been. I can't see it elsewhere.
03-02-2012, 12:18 PM
(02-02-2012 07:13 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Hitchens is irreplaceable.

This.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes NotSoVacuous's post
03-02-2012, 02:50 PM
(02-02-2012 09:15 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Dawkins is for me what Hitchens seems to be for most of you. The guy's a total legend!

Same.

Still, Hitch was amazing.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
03-02-2012, 03:22 PM
(03-02-2012 02:50 PM)kineo Wrote:  
(02-02-2012 09:15 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Dawkins is for me what Hitchens seems to be for most of you. The guy's a total legend!

Same.

Still, Hitch was amazing.

I admired Hitchens for his erudition, beliefs, passion, and honesty.

I feel much the same about Dawkins. They certainly respected each other.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
03-02-2012, 06:57 PM

Richard Dawkins, Daniel Dennett, Sam Harris and Christopher Hitchens in the "Four Horsemen".

We could never replace Christopher Hitchens. He helped continue the Atheist revolution and we should as well.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?