Who is our next Hitchens ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2014, 11:57 AM
RE: Who is our next Hitchens ?
(02-02-2012 06:07 PM)free2011 Wrote:  Christopher Hitchens was my "Ah ha" moment 2 years ago when I saw his debate against Alister McGrath. http://www.videosurf.com/video/christoph...h-62236252

A podcast I was listening to today had a small excerpt from another of his speeches and it made me think of how extraordinary he was. Do we atheists have anybody in the near future that can come close to his brilliance? I like Dawkins, Dennett, Harris, and many others but none have the same magnificent delivery that Hitchens possessed.

ME !
Only kidding - I wish I had the podium skills for magnificent delivery.
I have had some "Hitch moments" with family "debates" - I am working on the art of delivery.
I was a closet atheist - now I engage a religious family in some fun humour which is not directly antagonistic but "gets them thinking" and my favourite story is Noach flood and the animals.
I mean....what about the penguins ? Smile How did THEY get to Antarctica ! Big Grin
Angel fly ?

The Ingersol lectures redone in English are fun. I am stunned that this man could deliver such lectures without being stoned to death.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2014, 12:06 PM
Quote:"'Gays for Palestine'? Give me a break. If 'Gays for Palestine' were in Palestine, they'd have to go Israel."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-0PJxVnQA

That is very funny...and true. A gay Palestinian will not last long in Gaza, Jenin or Ramala.
Gay Arab Israeli citizen (>1,000,000 arab Isaelis living in Israel) can have gay sex with Israeli secular Jews and no one will do anything. Israel has secular courts and it is not illegal to be gay - infact they had one of the largest pro gay marches which made the religious right wing very angry - but there is separation from "religion & state" like in much of the western democracies.

On the other hand not a good idea for an ultra orthodox jew from a religious area being caught gay by a community member - likely to be ostracized by the orthodox community.

A wise man proportions his belief to the evidence -
David Hume

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhOs7rUrS5bRKvWS7clR7...gNs5ZwpVef]
25-01-2014, 12:16 PM
I only recently discovered the likes of Hitchens and others. I have listened to several debates and speeches by Hitchens, Dawkins, Aron Ra, and others. While I have found many of things I have listened to interesting; Hitchen's delivery is unparalleled in my opinion. I still search from time to time to see if I can find things I may have missed.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
25-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I can't see Richard Dawkins as being on the same plane as Hitchens.

When comparing their arguments, Hitchens was by far and away the most convincing... I suppose its just different approaches. Dawkins is first and foremost a scientist, and so tends to approach religion scientifically, which while very effective, is somewhat removed from most people's lives...

Hitchens on the other hand approaches the subject more philosophically, posing questions to the audience, inviting them to see things from a different perspective.

I find that Richard Dawkins' arguments do sometimes fall short, where Hitchens can deliver a full broadside...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2014, 02:23 PM
Matt Dillahunty. From an overall standpoint, no one can refute Xtian fallacies quicker, his overall knowledge of all contentious points of religion and pseudoscience is unparalleled and he has the same disdain for stupidity as Hitchens. He can be charismatic at times, not as much as Hitchens, but it's there, and he is a very successful debater, backing down to no one. He's a leader and outspoken.

I think Krauss feels the need to fill Hitchens' shoes with his arrogance and contempt, but he lacks grace in religious debates. Hitchens could be telling you to go fuck yourself and you'd thank him for it because of his profound vocabulary and elegant use of it.

Check out my atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes WillHopp's post
25-01-2014, 03:16 PM
(25-01-2014 02:23 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  I think Krauss feels the need to fill Hitchens' shoes with his arrogance and contempt, but he lacks grace in religious debates. Hitchens could be telling you to go fuck yourself and you'd thank him for it because of his profound vocabulary and elegant use of it.

Haha...he was quite the wordsmith.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
25-01-2014, 06:42 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Harris. He's very cool under fire, and while not charismatic, has an understated sense of humor. I appreciate his willingness to challenge the paradigm within the atheist movement, and to aggressively attack radical Islam. I think he can grow into the role as a spokesman and crusader that will appeal to youth. I'm at least curious about his rational mysticism. In this regard I've found his simple encouragement to live in the moment to be very helpful.
25-01-2014, 07:53 PM
OMG! OMG! OMG!

I thought I recognised this thread.

post #20 was my first ever post on this forum... any forum... nearly 2 years ago.

I want my 2 years back
Sadcryface

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
25-01-2014, 08:03 PM
(25-01-2014 07:53 PM)DLJ Wrote:  OMG! OMG! OMG!

I thought I recognised this thread.

post #20 was my first ever post on this forum... any forum... nearly 2 years ago.

I want my 2 years back
Sadcryface

You were so adorable.

I want your two years back too. Tongue

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
27-01-2014, 10:28 AM
Douglas Murray, Oxford Alumnus, Friend of Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Gay Marriage, Critic of Islam

He is atheist ("Mohammed made me an atheist"), hard on Islam, is pro-gay marriage, pro- Iraq War, and very much for free speech. He is an Oxford-educated historian and author.

Debating alongside Ayaan Hirsi Ali against Islam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TChhWlM8LsE

"'Gays for Palestine'? Give me a break. If 'Gays for Palestine' were in Palestine, they'd have to go Israel."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy-0PJxVnQ
[+] 1 user Likes jps40's post