Who is the Flutterbee?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Who is the Flutterbee?
Hello, my real name is Marshall. Yes I'm actually a male that uses the name Flutterbee as his online name. At this time I'm more known online as Flutterbee than my real name and any other name combined, so I use it for pretty much everything now. Originally the name came from an RPG site as a pixie character that I based on the Pokemon Butterfree. Now that I'm one of those Bronies (get over it if you are a hater) I started using it as my ponysona. Now I just use it all over the webs as I see no more reason to hide my love of colorful magical equines as I do my ability to think rationally and reject superstitious nonsense.

So a little religious history. I was a former member of a cult called The New Testament Christian church. They are a cult that primarily recruits young military members as they see them vulnerable and easy to make them follow orders without question. Fortunatly I was able to retain a portion of my brain and didn't give myself 100% to the cult. I still believed in Christian beliefs however. After getting out of the cult I did spend some time as a minister in a Southern Baptist church. I only left that church because I moved and became active in another church later. I don't think it was until I went to Bosnia that I really started to open my eyes. Both in the Baptist church and in the other churches later I would read the bible, unlike other Christians, and not ignore what I was reading. When asking other ministers that should have known more about the bible than me I was never given any satisfying answers and was instead ridiculed for not trusting in god enough. I would still be told the bible was perfect but found too many contradictions. Eventually I rejected the bible but still believed in that god, just not in Christianity. I started to look more at pagan beliefs but found a very similar problem that I noticed was present in christianity. The system just doesn't work. Magick doesn't work any more than prayer does and there was no evidence of any of the teachings being correct. Gradually I gave up that belief as well as all beliefs and became much more agnostic. I didn't start considering myself an Atheist until around one year ago. Now I am a very open and active atheist and work to try to undo some of the harm I caused before in my religious beliefs and help to make the world a better place by standing up to and fighting back against christian domination of my country.

Fortunatly I live in one of the least religious states in the USA now and I have never lost a job from it. Of course I also know not to bring it up at work and will only say anything if someone at work is pushing religion on me. I do have a sister that constantly tries to push her beliefs on me and tell me how wrong I am. I've won every single debate with her though she is too ignorant to realize it and keeps arguing anyway. She has a kind heart and helps me out but is just super pushy about religion and not too bright. I have lost dozens of "friends" over my openness about my Atheism, but I realize that they were not friends worth having. Now I consider them to be liars that were only pretending to be friends and that I'm better off without them.

So I've been listening to Thinking Atheist podcasts for awhile, however I'm the kind of guy that when I start listening to a podcast series I have to listen in chronological order. Right now I'm in stuff from around November 2013, so it will be awhile before I catch anything live. I have been a caller on a much lesser known podcast done by some acquaintances of mine called "Secular Yakking", but couldn't call in anymore when they switched to doing it on Monday mornings instead of Sunday nights.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Flutterbee's post
02-08-2015, 05:07 PM
RE: Who is the Flutterbee?
Welcome to TTA.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
02-08-2015, 05:16 PM
Welcome to TTA. Smile

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2015, 05:23 PM
Welcome Flutterbee from jennybee Big Grin My "bee" is from the first letter of my last name.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-08-2015, 05:24 PM
(02-08-2015 05:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome Flutterbee from jennybee Big Grin My "bee" is from the first letter of my last name.

yay! another bee! (hug)
[+] 1 user Likes Flutterbee's post
02-08-2015, 05:26 PM
(02-08-2015 05:24 PM)Flutterbee Wrote:  
(02-08-2015 05:23 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Welcome Flutterbee from jennybee Big Grin My "bee" is from the first letter of my last name.

yay! another bee! (hug)

Glad to have you here. I hope you enjoy TTA Smile

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
02-08-2015, 06:27 PM
Welcome.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-08-2015, 06:40 PM
jennybee's cool, so I bet flutterbees are too! Big Grin
Killerbees suck, though! Confused

Welcome! Tongue

[+] 2 users Like TheGulegon's post
02-08-2015, 06:43 PM
(02-08-2015 06:40 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  jennybee's cool, so I bet flutterbees are too! Big Grin
Killerbees suck, though! Confused

Welcome! Tongue

yeah the killer bees give us good bees a bad name. I only sting theists so I'm a good bee.
[+] 3 users Like Flutterbee's post
02-08-2015, 06:57 PM
I of course will be calling you fluttershy.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post