Who is your hero?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-03-2016, 09:46 PM
RE: Who is your hero?
I can't name any single, specific individual; for me that's impossible.

Anyway, generically... medicos, firefighters, police, surf lifesavers. Basically anybody who puts their own life on the line for others, regardless of the risks to themselves.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SYZ's post
04-04-2016, 07:45 AM
[Image: vUfCEDz.jpg]

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 9 users Like earmuffs's post
04-04-2016, 08:02 AM
I'll put in another vote for Banjo, but he will have to share the podium with Anjele, who has also battled cancer and survived (not to mention an abusive father and a shitty job).

And of course, firefighters, police officers, military personnel, and anyone else who puts his/her life on the line to help others.
[+] 6 users Like Grasshopper's post
04-04-2016, 09:50 AM
batman. being batman is heroic.
04-04-2016, 11:00 AM
The surgeon who opened me up and cleaned up the mess from my perforated small intestine in 1996. He doesn't think he's a hero, but I'd be dead, painfully, if he hadn't done it right.
[+] 8 users Like Fireball's post
04-04-2016, 01:30 PM
My grandparents. My grandmother, an Irish Catholic, married my grandfather, a Welsh protestant who was also a British soldier. This caused a lot of conflict in both families. They lived in London. My grandfather fought in WWII and survived the horrors of Dunkirk. He was given some leave and they came back to Ireland. He would not speak of what happened in Dunkirk but my grandmother told us that he woke up screaming in terror most nights. The family in Ireland tried to convince my grandfather to stay in Ireland, but he and my grandmother went back to London.

He was killed in action in Tunisia on the 24/04/1943 age 26. He is buried in the Massicault War Cemetery in Tunisia. My grandmother returned to Ireland with three baby girls. She never remarried and brought the girls up on her own. She was a very strong woman. With the help of The War Graves Commission in the UK she visited his grave in the 1980's. She died in March 2000 age 84.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 7 users Like Marozz's post
04-04-2016, 06:09 PM
This is a question which I have always struggled with. I believe people do participate in heroic actions, but I just have a tough time calling a person a hero. There are plenty of people which I admire for one or even many reasons, though they have plenty of faults too.

noun, plural heroes; for 5 also heros.
a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:
He was a local hero when he saved the drowning child.
the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
Classical Mythology.
a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
(in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
(in later antiquity) an immortal being; demigod.
hero sandwich.
the bread or roll used in making a hero sandwich.

I've had plenty of hero sandwiches though. Especially when I was a young sailor living in the barracks with no kitchen. I could buy them pre-packaged for about 3 bucks at the exchange. Perfect for a young broke sailor who didn't have access to hot food.

04-04-2016, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2016 12:55 PM by GirlyMan.)
Alan Turing and John Nash. Schizoids gotta schiz together.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-04-2016, 07:26 PM
(04-04-2016 06:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  This is a question which I have always struggled with. I believe people do participate in heroic actions, but I just have a tough time calling a person a hero. There are plenty of people which I admire for one or even many reasons, though they have plenty of faults too.

a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
a person who, in the opinion of others, has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal:
Classical Mythology.
a being of godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.
(in the Homeric period) a warrior-chieftain of special strength, courage, or ability.
hero sandwich.

I've had plenty of hero sandwiches though. Especially when I was a young sailor living in the barracks with no kitchen. I could buy them pre-packaged for about 3 bucks at the exchange. Perfect for a young broke sailor who didn't have access to hot food.

Why didn't you take the cattle car to the chow hall? Food be free and shit, there.
04-04-2016, 08:15 PM
(04-04-2016 07:26 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(04-04-2016 06:09 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  This is a question which I have always struggled with. I believe people do participate in heroic actions, but I just have a tough time calling a person a hero. There are plenty of people which I admire for one or even many reasons, though they have plenty of faults too.

Classical Mythology.
hero sandwich.

Why didn't you take the cattle car to the chow hall? Food be free and shit, there.

I was at the shipyards in downtown Newport News, VA. There was no chow hall. There was no cattle car. The only restaurants within walking distance were crawling with cockroaches...literally. I stepped on one while eating at the local Chinese place, and there was one crushed and stuck to the side of my coke at the Greek place. The only place that had decent tasting food was a place we called "Fast Eddies" which was ran by Chinese women who spoke very little English who served greasy burgers and french fries. It was good, cheap, and terrible for you. She was presumably not Eddie. No matter what you ordered the total was "5 dollar", including tax. What are the odds? Big Grin It probably had cockroaches too, but I never saw them. Looked dirty as hell.

Here are the reviews, looks like shit ain't changed much Big Grin
http://www.yelp.com/biz/eddies-restaurants-newport-news