Who killed more people in the Bible? God or Satan?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
03-01-2010, 02:11 PM

Who killed more people in the Bible? God or Satan?
First of all, I'd like to introduce myself. My name's Nahuel, I'm from Argentina and I'm an atheist.

I found a really neat article on Dwindling In Unbelief. The author (Steve Wells) tries to estimate the number of people killed by God ( READ!) and then by Satan. Here's a transcript:

Who has killed more, Satan or God?
Quote:And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. Job 1:1-19
Since I revised the number on God's kill list, I also have to change the God vs. Satan killing contest results. So here it is.

In a previous post, I counted the number of people that were killed by God in the Bible. I came up with 2,301,417, which, of course, greatly underestimates God's total death toll, since it only includes those killings for which specific numbers are given. No attempt was made to include the victims of Noah's flood, Sodom and Gomorrah, or the many plagues, famines, fiery serpents, etc., with which the good book is filled. Still, 2 million is a respectable number even for world class killers.

But how does this compare with Satan? How many did he kill in the Bible?

Well I can only find ten, and even these he shares with God, since God allowed him to do it as a part of a bet. I'm talking about the seven sons and three daughters of Job.
Quote:There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job ... And there were born unto him seven sons and three daughters.
And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil? Then Satan answered the LORD ... put forth thine hand now, and touch all that he hath, and he will curse thee to thy face. And the LORD said unto Satan, Behold, all that he hath is in thy power; only upon himself put not forth thine hand. So Satan went forth from the presence of the LORD.
And there was a day when his sons and his daughters were eating and drinking wine in their eldest brother's house...And, behold, there came a great wind from the wilderness, and smote the four corners of the house, and it fell upon the young men, and they are dead; and I only am escaped alone to tell thee. -- Job 1:1-19
So it seems that both Satan and God share the blame (or the credit) for these killings. If so, then the tally would be:

killings
God 2,301,417
Satan 10
[Image: countable_killings.jpg]

source
Quote this message in a reply
03-01-2010, 07:32 PM

RE: Who killed more people in the Bible? God or Satan?
Hey Nahuel, how ya doing. I don't know much about the bible but I'm betting either humans or natural conditions did most of the killing and then it was attributed to either God or Satan. But if I were a betting man and believed in God, I'd say God did it.
03-01-2010, 09:19 PM

Well sure. Here's a revised list with details on how the calculations were made. Of course, as the author states, the number greatly underestimates the total of people killed by or in the name of God, according with the Bible.
03-01-2010, 11:50 PM

Hello,
This one is easy, satan!

Those people were/are of satan. Because of satan those people died the way they did!

What would you think would of happened if satan did not have his hooks into those people as deep as he did? Do you think God would of said that the world is good so therefore I'm gonna kill everyone except Noah?
The Lord our God, underline our, is going to do it again! The corruption and sin of this world is going to come to an end again! This time for ever!

Are you ready?

God bless!
04-01-2010, 03:35 AM

(03-01-2010 11:50 PM)alton Wrote:  This one is easy, satan!
Confused

(03-01-2010 11:50 PM)alton Wrote:  Those people were/are of satan. Because of satan those people died the way they did!
What I'm having trouble understanding is: why play it like that? Wiping people off the face of the earth because they were living in sin?
Here's one of many verses on the Bible that claim sin forgiveness upon regret:
Acts 3:19 Wrote:"Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord."
Was God so sure these man were hopeless and would never stop to sin and/or regret the sins they had committed, that the only way of cleansing the earth was to eliminate them? What about the forgiving, loving God? Another example is God's murder of every Egyptian firstborn child. What evil could children have? Judging from these quotes, God did what he did, just because he could and wanted everyone to know what he's capable of:
The Bible Wrote:I will stretch out my hand, and smite Egypt with all my wonders. Exodus 3:20

I will harden Pharaoh's heart, and multiply my signs and my wonders in the land of Egypt ... And the Egyptians shall know that I am the LORD. Exodus 7:5-7

Now shalt thou see what I will do to Pharaoh. Exodus 6:1

For I will at this time send all my plagues upon thine heart, and upon thy servants, and upon thy people; that thou mayest know that there is none like me in all the earth. Exodus 9:14

For I will pass through the land of Egypt this night, and will smite all the firstborn in the land of Egypt, both man and beast; and against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment: I am the LORD. Exodus 12:12
All I can get from these quotes is that that wasn't the job of a loving God who was trying to save the earth from Satan. It just shows a jealous, egocentric God simply showing off and scaring people.

(03-01-2010 11:50 PM)alton Wrote:  The Lord our God, underline our, is going to do it again! The corruption and sin of this world is going to come to an end again! This time for ever!

Are you ready?
Then what's he waiting for? Again, why play it like this? Were all previous mass murders just experiments to see which one worked the best? How's he gonna do it this time? When?
04-01-2010, 08:43 AM
(04-01-2010 03:35 AM)Nahuel Wrote:  Then what's he waiting for? Again, why play it like this? Were all previous mass murders just experiments to see which one worked the best? How's he gonna do it this time? When?

That's easy.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2010, 11:14 PM

Gods don't kill people---people kill people.
07-01-2010, 01:24 AM

Yes, I believe we all agree with that. The problem is people's convictions or certainty about what God wants.
17-01-2010, 02:27 AM

(03-01-2010 11:50 PM)alton Wrote:  Hello,
This one is easy, satan!

Those people were/are of satan. Because of satan those people died the way they did!

Then why did god kill ALL the first born males in Egypt, but no one else?
From what I understand, all the first born males where killed so as to ensure that 1 particular baby was killed.. All the rest where indicrimatly murdered, whether they where of satan or not.
25-04-2010, 09:55 PM

Likely because the bible, is a barbaric iron age hodgepodge of detritus material from both living and dead mythos. Christianity did not get where it is today through love and peace. It survived because it killed its competition, in bloody battles.