Who knows how to use a slide rule?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-12-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: Who knows how to use a slide rule?
(20-12-2015 06:15 AM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  My dad is an engineer, as was his dad, his dad, and his dad. I'm the first firstborn son in five generations to not become an engineer. However, I grew up reading every engineering book my dad brought home, and I can use slide rules.

I also went to flight school, where we learned to use a type of circular slide rule called a "Whiz-Wheel", the E6B Flight Computer.

[Image: jeppesen-e6b-1a.jpg]

Note that the Navitimer dial is a subset of the E6B. That's what it was designed to be.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2015, 05:40 PM
I have heard they are particularly effective in the hands of Catholic nuns. Consider

[Image: Nun-Ruler.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
20-12-2015, 05:45 PM
I used one back in the day when I was considering being an engineer. I also used one to crop photos when I didn't have a crop wheel.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
20-12-2015, 05:45 PM
It's been a while, but I'm sure I could again. I also had a duplex one with conversions.
20-12-2015, 09:32 PM
Moi. I have a Post Versalog 1460 (like this) http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?poi=&adpo...4564559673

and a Post 1447 (like this) http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/28186728453...ps&lpid=82

I even have the leather holster I used to carry the Versalog on my belt. Smartass
20-12-2015, 09:43 PM
My dad showed me as a kid and I was able to use it foe a while. I have however long since forgotten.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
20-12-2015, 10:04 PM
(20-12-2015 09:32 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Moi. I have a Post Versalog 1460 (like this) http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?poi=&adpo...4564559673

and a Post 1447 (like this) http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/28186728453...ps&lpid=82

I even have the leather holster I used to carry the Versalog on my belt. Smartass

I have 3 or 4 including a K&E and a Pickett.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
20-12-2015, 10:24 PM
[Image: e1cbc9a97f21f03e2af7da5ac50e935ab129c2f6...d7b2c9.jpg]

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
21-12-2015, 12:11 AM
It's all we had in high school... well before they got those thingys with the battery-driven light-up numbers on 'em.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
21-12-2015, 01:06 AM
Other "old school" technologies -----

Who can use ---

Vernier calipers or height gauge (NOT dial)???

Operate a mill or lathe using ONLY the vernier dials, and accounting backlash??

I can, and do use all of the above on a regular basis, in my shop... No digital readouts.

I can also send/receive morse code, including numbers and punctuation..... I actually did CW traffic for a living for 5 years...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.