Who or what throws the dice for atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 5 Average
11-11-2013, 02:34 AM
Who or what throws the dice for atheists?
This is a thread about randomness and I think Dr Polis does a good job in this video about explaining what randomness is.

Dr Polis talks about randomness

The randomness that we observe in nature, where does it come from? What is generating it? As a theist, I can say God is throwing the dice, but what can atheists point too?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2013, 02:39 AM
RE: Who or what throws the dice for atheists?
I don't see any randomness in nature.

I see patterns.

I can't help myself.

God made me that way.

Thumbsup

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
11-11-2013, 02:47 AM
Ahh, Heywood. I've missed you since I've been gone. Your moronic trolling hasn't lost its edge, I see.

In any case, you already knew this I'm sure, but for any believers who may happen upon this thread and fall under the mistaken impression that your question is a good one, I'll point it out anyway. Your question is flawed from the outset, because you ask who or what is controlling randomness. Randomness is completely random, li'l fella. There is no control. There is no one throwing any dice. There is simply randomness in randomness.

Correct this crippling flaw in your premise and try again. Shy

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like Misanthropik's post
11-11-2013, 02:50 AM
True randomness does not exist. It is a concept. It's something we say when we cannot or are not willing to sort out all the variables.

[+] 5 users Like Dark Light's post
11-11-2013, 02:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2013 03:00 AM by sporehux.)
Gravity.Solar radiation. The weather. The moon. Comets oids and ites.
Magnetic sphere. Tectonic plates.species migration.
The imperfectness of mutating genes.
And so on and on and on and on

In summary every thing that happens is a result of a near infinite array of other factors.

Not a dice roll but analogous to one

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 2 users Like sporehux's post
11-11-2013, 02:57 AM
(11-11-2013 02:47 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Your question is flawed from the outset, because you ask who or what is controlling randomness. Randomness is completely random, li'l fella. There is no control. There is no one throwing any dice. There is simply randomness in randomness.

How do you justify this claim you made? Randomness in randomness makes no sense.
11-11-2013, 02:59 AM
(11-11-2013 02:50 AM)sporehux Wrote:  Solar radiation. The weather. The moon. Comets oids and ites.
Magnetic sphere. Tectonic plates.species migration.

In summary every thing that happens is a result of a near infinite array of other factors.

Not a dice roll but analogous to one

Its that way until you get to the quantum level and then the "other physical factors" run out....but randomness is still generated. Who or what is tossing the dice and generating that randomness upon which our world depends?
11-11-2013, 03:02 AM
(11-11-2013 02:50 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  True randomness does not exist. It is a concept. It's something we say when we cannot or are not willing to sort out all the variables.

Bells theorem says you are wrong.

The implication of Bell's theorem is that there is something unphysical generating the randomness our world depends upon.
11-11-2013, 03:06 AM
At quantum level we have string theory and a whole load of
We don't know so lets build a big ass colider and try and figure it out
Or we could just throw our hand in the air and say well lets
Retire and say the God of the gaps did it. Why learn anything new if a fairytale says. I know all therefore all that is to know I know.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
[+] 3 users Like sporehux's post
11-11-2013, 03:10 AM
(11-11-2013 02:34 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  As a theist, I can say God is throwing the dice, but what can atheists point too?

An assertion made without evidence can be dismissed without evidence. The honest answer is, that once we come to the edge of our knowledge, we simply admit 'we don't know'.

We don't know what causes the seeming randomness at the quantum level, and an honest observer acknowledges this. Unfortunately Heywood is not, instead he decides to insert his god, then tries to turn it around on non-believers while pretending like he has an adequate answer. Once again all Heywood as done is relabel his ignorance 'god'.

Not at all compelling Heywood. I'm really disappointed too, you were getting almost reasonable for a while there...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post