Who's Celebrating a Secular Christmas?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-12-2011, 08:03 AM
Who's Celebrating a Secular Christmas?
Christians can flail and splutter all they like, but Christmas is not about Jesus. They just plugged Jesus in a couple of thousand years ago and now they whine because people aren't making it all about their special saviour.

Well, tough.

My family has been fully secular and irreligious for about 10 years, but we have a strong tradition of celebrating Christmas because we come from a long line of Catholics and we've just always done it. We celebrate Christmas with all the decorations, right down to the fully pagan Christmas tree, presents and chocolates. While others brave the cold for Christmas mass we drink mulled wine and feast on turkey, and laugh about the silly things people still believe in in the twenty-first century.

Do you celebrate a secular Christmas season? Do you put on a brave face and pretend to be Christian? Or do you ignore the season all together?
I'd love to hear it.

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2011, 08:12 AM
RE: Who's Celebrating a Secular Christmas?
(06-12-2011 08:03 AM)Smooshmonster Wrote:  Christians can flail and splutter all they like, but Christmas is not about Jesus. They just plugged Jesus in a couple of thousand years ago and now they whine because people aren't making it all about their special saviour.

Well, tough.

My family has been fully secular and irreligious for about 10 years, but we have a strong tradition of celebrating Christmas because we come from a long line of Catholics and we've just always done it. We celebrate Christmas with all the decorations, right down to the fully pagan Christmas tree, presents and chocolates. While others brave the cold for Christmas mass we drink mulled wine and feast on turkey, and laugh about the silly things people still believe in in the twenty-first century.

Do you celebrate a secular Christmas season? Do you put on a brave face and pretend to be Christian? Or do you ignore the season all together?
I'd love to hear it.

I celebrate the holidays in an I-enjoy-the-traditions kind of way; also, the Christians really have the best soundtrack - Bach, Handel, Kings College Choir, and so on.

It's a festival of light at the dark of the year - the pre-Christian festival co-opted by the Christians.

P.S. Are Catholic atheists different from Protestant atheists?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-12-2011, 08:22 PM
(06-12-2011 08:12 AM)Chas Wrote:  I celebrate the holidays in an I-enjoy-the-traditions kind of way; also, the Christians really have the best soundtrack - Bach, Handel, Kings College Choir, and so on.

It's a festival of light at the dark of the year - the pre-Christian festival co-opted by the Christians.

P.S. Are Catholic atheists different from Protestant atheists?

Come on, Chas. Duh, Catholic atheists have the Pope.

I like the idea of a festival of lights. My weakness at this time of year is my lighted Dickens' Village (no, I really am hetero), and multi-colored Christmas lights. So that's what I'm rockin' this year without a tree for the first time. Saved money and time as well!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
15-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Yup! We are. We are staying Christmas eve two hours from home at my parents. My father, siblings and I (and our partners and kids) will rock out to music (live) at the parents while mom goes to mass. When she comes home we will enjoy dinner and secular albeit traditional festivities. Joyous!
15-12-2011, 10:22 AM
We are celebrating our very own religion free christmas this year. The place is decorated, we have a very kitchy tree with colored lights and we have christmas hats and we will have a nice meal. And we will be happy to stay home on 24th evening and 25th morning and all the sundays before and after. We might not have mountains of presents because we are not children anymore and at least in my opinion it is more about spending some quality time together.
And as smooshmonster mentioned the pagan tree I had to think about one of the pagan traditions that I love very much for the symbology. Starting with 21st Dec you light a red candle every evening and let it burn over night (though we might not let it burn unsupervised), 12 nights in a row. 12 as a symbol for the month of a year, candle light because it is midwinter and the days get longer and we welcome back the light, red candle because red stands for life which we also welcome back after the cold season when everything seems dead in nature.

so a very happy secular christmas to all of you Smile

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
17-12-2011, 01:07 PM
we are doing a half and half this year. It is our first holiday after coming out atheist to our extended family so we still have to participate in some of their rituals - The kids will go to mass and be singing in the choir and then we will all have a big potluck dinner with family and friends.

but the other half will be around the solstice - having a family ceremony, as well as a gathering of friends at the local meditation centre. looking forward to gathering and lighting candles and being thankful that humans learned how to survive in winter conditions Big Grin

We also decided not to do presents or stockings this year - instead we are giving the kids each a book per day until new year's (62 books in all). We are giving to charity and will be giving the kids some money and a trip to a larger city to be able to go shopping. (living in a small town these kinds of trips become a huge deal!)

Happy Holidays!
[+] 1 user Likes niqi's post
21-12-2011, 06:10 PM
We absolutely celebrate Christmas. Christmas does not have to be religious in any way; we'll have a big family dinner, a tree, a few gifts on Christmas day, and enjoy each other's company. It's a lovely idea, why should I miss out just because I don't believe in a sky wizard? Wink

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way."
- Christopher Hitchens
21-12-2011, 07:03 PM
My problem is that dang Gwynnies - Gwyneth Paltrow if you somehow missed it. The joy of my life seems to be sending that girl anonymous valentines. Coupla weeks back, it was immortality. Because it's me and my Gwynnies, it's the potential link between existence, consciousness, and Void - the unholy trine - at the holy singularity of quantum mechanics. Involving the Schrodinger wavefunction, the theory of superposition, and this idiot; man, all trines are unholy, tell you whut. Big Grin

Thus my ROI on zero-state is a piece of the Hitch and the vengeance of the LORD. Party time? Prophets don't see future without tao - the path to make future happen. Creation, like god; like Satan is not supposed to do?

So help a fool out, peeps! Kinda odds we talking. we gotta pin ellenjanuary to the public cross of senseless sensationalism to fire up the NN of Gaia, five years down the road?

You know, Christmas Day massacre? ellenjanuary on trial for pure evil? Where the morality of Lucifer burns the world and religion ends? Did you not see the movie? Big Grin

Oh yeah, that's right! Gotta be insane! Do we have any sanity in the studio audience, or no? I got me some prophet-like superpowers. Incorruptibility in this case. tao is the secret. Balance between me and my Gwynnies. As long as she is sweet, adorable, and way the fuck over there - I'm way the fuck out here with the long-term strategy. Lucifer is the general, remember. Thank the Prophet - he gets a pbuh outta that deal. Wink

But even thinking about immoral shit fires up the simulators. Back in August broke out the Tarot, four months later the witch knows what the cards said. Big Grin

And this "2012" bullshit ain't about anything other that tao. Imbalance. Right know, morality is the ultimate fuel source; the prize up for grabs is simulation and the conscious collective. Can you not do the fucking math? The simulators - science, no more than 4% hair of the witch Big Grin gets those numbers out of the cards. That is how "sacrifice the queen for the kingdom of hell" is reading right now. Five years from now, it'll be popular entertainment; and Evil, INC will have bank. Big Grin

[Image: 10339580_583235681775606_5139032440228868471_n.jpg]
22-12-2011, 01:18 AM
(21-12-2011 07:03 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  My problem is that dang Gwynnies - Gwyneth Paltrow if you somehow missed it. The joy of my life seems to be sending that girl anonymous valentines. Coupla weeks back, it was immortality. Because it's me and my Gwynnies, it's the potential link between existence, consciousness, and Void - the unholy trine - at the holy singularity of quantum mechanics. Involving the Schrodinger wavefunction, the theory of superposition, and this idiot; man, all trines are unholy, tell you whut. Big Grin

Thus my ROI on zero-state is a piece of the Hitch and the vengeance of the LORD. Party time? Prophets don't see future without tao - the path to make future happen. Creation, like god; like Satan is not supposed to do?

So help a fool out, peeps! Kinda odds we talking. we gotta pin ellenjanuary to the public cross of senseless sensationalism to fire up the NN of Gaia, five years down the road?

You know, Christmas Day massacre? ellenjanuary on trial for pure evil? Where the morality of Lucifer burns the world and religion ends? Did you not see the movie? Big Grin

Oh yeah, that's right! Gotta be insane! Do we have any sanity in the studio audience, or no? I got me some prophet-like superpowers. Incorruptibility in this case. tao is the secret. Balance between me and my Gwynnies. As long as she is sweet, adorable, and way the fuck over there - I'm way the fuck out here with the long-term strategy. Lucifer is the general, remember. Thank the Prophet - he gets a pbuh outta that deal. Wink

But even thinking about immoral shit fires up the simulators. Back in August broke out the Tarot, four months later the witch knows what the cards said. Big Grin

And this "2012" bullshit ain't about anything other that tao. Imbalance. Right know, morality is the ultimate fuel source; the prize up for grabs is simulation and the conscious collective. Can you not do the fucking math? The simulators - science, no more than 4% hair of the witch Big Grin gets those numbers out of the cards. That is how "sacrifice the queen for the kingdom of hell" is reading right now. Five years from now, it'll be popular entertainment; and Evil, INC will have bank. Big Grin

So...I take it you're not celebrating.
Tongue

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
22-12-2011, 01:34 AM
On the contrary, it sounds to me like Johnny Cantor, Jack Daniels, and Mary Jane might just all be celebrating together, as we speak!

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 4 users Like Stark Raving's post