Who's Your Daddy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Who's Your Daddy?
I'm watching a movie where the protagonist is not religious, but he strikes up a friendship with a small town priest. The character addresses him as "Father". It set me to wunderin.

If you were to converse with a Padre, how would you godless heathens address him? Who amongst the unwashed TTA brethren would have an issue calling a man who is not your dad, "Father?" Or is it simply not an issue?

Ready.

Set.

Go!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 07:04 PM
RE: Who's Your Daddy?
Too many years in Catholic school and church...I would go with Father...without a second thought.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
07-06-2013, 07:06 PM
(07-06-2013 06:59 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm watching a movie where the protagonist is not religious, but he strikes up a friendship with a small town priest. The character addresses him as "Father". It set me to wunderin.

If you were to converse with a Padre, how would you godless heathens address him? Who amongst the unwashed TTA brethren would have an issue calling a man who is not your dad, "Father?" Or is it simply not an issue?

Ready.

Set.

Go!

Even when I was religious I never referred to our Pastor as father (different brand of christian I guess) but to answer your question I suppose it would depend on how well I knew the man. I probably wouldn't use the term father but I would use reverend until such a time as we were on first a name basis. It's an honorific in my mind like Doctor, and as such I would use it in respect even while disagreeing with them on a few things.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
07-06-2013, 07:08 PM
(07-06-2013 07:06 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [Quote]

Even when I was religious I never referred to our Pastor as father (different brand of christian I guess) but to answer your question I suppose it would depend on how well I knew the man. I probably wouldn't use the term father but I would use reverend until such a time as we were on first a name basis. It's an honorific in my mind like Doctor, and as such I would use it in respect even while disagreeing with them on a few things.

This exactly

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-06-2013, 07:11 PM
I'd go with Bob...even if his name was Bill.

No?

Ok..yea I'm a whimp I'd call him Father. Out of respect. Like calling a police officer 'officer' or a judge, "judge"

I'd only call him Daddy if he said I was a naughty girl. Tongue

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 5 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
07-06-2013, 07:18 PM
Hehe, daddy was the pastor. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
07-06-2013, 07:23 PM
I'd just do what I usually try to do.

Avoid titles like "Father" and just call the priest "Priest" or "Preacher". Or whatever their name is.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
07-06-2013, 07:24 PM
I'd call them whatever they styled themselves, if they were nice. Some like Reverend, some prefer Deacon.
Prick, if they were being rude!

[+] 3 users Like TheGulegon's post
07-06-2013, 07:31 PM
I'd ask him what he preferred to be called. However, I often just refer to people I don't know as Sir or Mam for a woman. Or... I've been calling people Man since my formative years. I've had a nodding acquaintance with a few ministers & priests - they've never had a problem with me calling them Sir or Man. At least they've never said so. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
07-06-2013, 07:35 PM
I agree, whatever rocks their boat. I don't care. I respect their wishes as long as they respect mine, too.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post