Who's Your Daddy?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2013, 08:04 PM
RE: Who's Your Daddy?
(07-06-2013 07:24 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  I'd call them whatever they styled themselves, if they were nice. Some like Reverend, some prefer Deacon.

And some, like the OP, prefer Hellbound Preacher. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-06-2013, 08:14 PM
Well, I've had almost no exposure to Catholicism in the real world, even if I were a Christian I wouldn't call him "father". I wouldn't have known to. I know there is a hierarchy, with priests, bishops, archbishops, and probably more. I think the British use a different system...correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know how "they" address each, and I certainly can't distinguish between these. Anyhow, I would just go with "sir". Not out of disrespect, but "sir" is pretty universal. It works for damn near anyone with a penis, minus royalty, and perhaps the pope. Hell, as a US Sailor, I've even addressed two presidents as "sir".

This does remind me of something I did as a 15 year old atheist who first encountered a group of nuns. I was a dick, which I immediately regretted, but when I saw them I said "Say hi to God for me!". Teenagers can really be assholes.

08-06-2013, 03:53 AM
Heh. I used to know a woman priest in Church of England who said you have to be called "Father" even as a woman Tongue

I dunno. I'd just call them "you" most probably, if I was talking to them. If I was talking *about* them I'd just call them whatever their first name was, if I knew them. If I *didn't* know them, I'd call them Father X or so, just so that the other person would know who I was talking about.
08-06-2013, 03:58 AM
Using family titles like "father" and "brother" is par for the course with religious indoctrination. It does have a measurable psychological effect. It's one method (among many others) cults use to make their members abandon their blood relatives to follow their new family.

We are your family now... right?

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
08-06-2013, 09:08 AM
Yes, Father DeepThought.

Although you could be my son, or my son's son... Tongue

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
08-06-2013, 09:26 AM
I find it extremely disrespectful to omit the titles of people you don't know. Very few get a title without working their arse off for it and they deserve to be shown that respect.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
[+] 1 user Likes Cetaceaphile's post
08-06-2013, 10:29 AM
I would use their title. Even if the conversation became less than polite.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 2 users Like KidCharlemagne1962's post
08-06-2013, 07:29 PM
(08-06-2013 03:58 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  Using family titles like "father" and "brother" is par for the course with religious indoctrination. It does have a measurable psychological effect. It's one method (among many others) cults use to make their members abandon their blood relatives to follow their new family.

We are your family now... right?

I was going to say this. Father, brother, sister. Same shit, different pile. "Bride" of Jesus, etc etc.
08-06-2013, 08:41 PM
I'd go with Father. Doesn't mean they're anyone's father. It's just a title.

The one I have a problem with is calling a Mormon missionary "Elder." 19-year-old kid comes to the door with his short-sleeve white shirt, tie, and black name tag that says "Elder Smith" or "Elder Johnson." I could be his grandfather. And I'm supposed to address him as Elder? Huh

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
08-06-2013, 09:00 PM
I'm your daddy, Erx, you bitch!

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post