Who's doctor Who?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2011, 07:20 AM
Who's doctor Who?
Looks like there are several Doctor who lovers on this forum. To be honest, I've never watched even one minute of doctor who in my life. While digging in references made on this forum is slowly get the feeling that I am missing something.

What do you "Dr who lovers" recommend to a newbie.
Can I watch sample episodes on You-tube or do I need to buy the DVD's?
I read the the series are already running since the sixties. What is the best period? Can you watch it just like that or do you need a runner-up to know who's who in Dr Who Smile (couldn't resist the cheap shot)

Care to help filling the void in my culture?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-06-2011, 03:41 PM (This post was last modified: 29-06-2011 06:23 PM by Hughsie.)
RE: Who's doctor Who?
I've never seen any of the original run which went from the 1950s/1960s until the 1980s but I've been a massive fan since it came back in 2005 and never missed an episode.

The general format of the show is that the Doctor (an alien) time travels around with a (human) companion and they usually end up somewhere where there are hostile people/aliens or unfortunate circumstances threatening the existence of innocent people/aliens and the Doctor, with the help of his companion, has to 'save the day'.

I think you would be best watching the episodes in order as quite often there are plot elements or story arcs that span several episodes. I would recommend beginning with the 2005 series as it was my favourite and, because it was the first series for nearly 20 years, it was designed to introduce new people to the series. I suppose you may get away with starting on the 2006 series though as that was the first series to have David Tennant playing the Doctor and he is widely regarded as the 'best Doctor' (11 people have played the Doctor since the show first aired).

I definitely wouldn't recommend beginning on the newer series (introducing Matt Smith as the Doctor) as I feel that the quality has been a bit more patchy and the storylines a bit more cheesy since they had a new head writer in (I think) 2010, though that is just my personal opinion.

Sorry but I'm no help as to anywhere to watch it online as I have all the series on DVD/Blu-Ray so have never needed to watch it online.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
29-06-2011, 06:50 PM
(29-06-2011 07:20 AM)The_observer Wrote:  What is the best period?

Oh shit, that's like asking which sauce goes best with His noodly communion, or whether meatballs are actually blasphemous. Duck and cover bitches! Fire in the hole!

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-06-2011, 08:59 AM
What do you mean who is Doctor Who? Well, he is The Doctor.

Smile

I've only seen a couple of episodes and they are great. If I start, I will start with the original series. I can not believe there are some of you who love the show, but didn't see the original episodes. It like watching Star Trek and saying that you don't want to watch The Original Series with captain James T. Kirk. That is what I call BLASPHEMY!!

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
30-06-2011, 09:35 AM
(30-06-2011 08:59 AM)Filox Wrote:  What do you mean who is Doctor Who? Well, he is The Doctor.

Smile

I've only seen a couple of episodes and they are great. If I start, I will start with the original series. I can not believe there are some of you who love the show, but didn't see the original episodes. It like watching Star Trek and saying that you don't want to watch The Original Series with captain James T. Kirk. That is what I call BLASPHEMY!!

Smile

Its impossible to track down all the original episodes, some have been lost altogether and most others probably only exist in BBC archives. Only the most notable episodes from the original run have made it to DVD. I'm also not a big fan of crappy special effects, which the original run was known for, whereas the new series have good effects.

I guess I'll just have to be a blasphemer until the BBC track down all the episodes Smile.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
30-06-2011, 10:25 AM
No on-line source?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
30-06-2011, 12:39 PM
(30-06-2011 10:25 AM)The_observer Wrote:  No on-line source?

Sorry mate, I've got them all on DVD/Blu-Ray so I've no idea.

The first few series have been out for years now so, depending on how blasé you are about buying DVDs, it might be easier just to buy the first series and see what you think of it. I don't know whether american prices are similar to english ones but over here the first series is only about £10 on DVD.

Best
Worst
05-07-2011, 12:24 PM
It's so great you all giving me such praise. Smile

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like The Doctor's post
05-07-2011, 01:05 PM

[Image: motivator9936322.jpg]

This is the coolest thing Doctor Who has done in years, the new series has little continuity and the Doctor is quite a douchebag ("I am the doctor, don't fuck with me" is his general behavior in every episode). At least Eccleston had a few episodes where the Doctor showed a bit of modesty and told regular people they were more important than him by far.

Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2011, 08:34 PM
[Image: 9aPqP.png]

[Image: buddhasig.png]
“Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.” ~ Gautama Buddha
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user