Who's doctor Who?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
RE: Who's doctor Who?
(10-04-2012 07:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I contemplated watching old school episodes, but then I remembered they were the reason I never was into Doctor Who as a youngster.

Yeah, the lack of Rose Tyler Big Grin.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
10-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Sigh
[Image: 2x01-New-Earth-Screencap-Rose-Tyler-rose...40-368.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
03-09-2012, 12:16 AM
Who's doctor Who?
I'm watching the new season premier. Daleks!!!!!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
04-09-2012, 09:58 AM
(29-06-2011 03:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I've never seen any of the original run which went from the 1950s/1960s until the 1980s but I've been a massive fan since it came back in 2005 and never missed an episode.

The general format of the show is that the Doctor (an alien) time travels around with a (human) companion and they usually end up somewhere where there are hostile people/aliens or unfortunate circumstances threatening the existence of innocent people/aliens and the Doctor, with the help of his companion, has to 'save the day'.

I think you would be best watching the episodes in order as quite often there are plot elements or story arcs that span several episodes. I would recommend beginning with the 2005 series as it was my favourite and, because it was the first series for nearly 20 years, it was designed to introduce new people to the series. I suppose you may get away with starting on the 2006 series though as that was the first series to have David Tennant playing the Doctor and he is widely regarded as the 'best Doctor' (11 people have played the Doctor since the show first aired).

I definitely wouldn't recommend beginning on the newer series (introducing Matt Smith as the Doctor) as I feel that the quality has been a bit more patchy and the storylines a bit more cheesy since they had a new head writer in (I think) 2010, though that is just my personal opinion.

Sorry but I'm no help as to anywhere to watch it online as I have all the series on DVD/Blu-Ray so have never needed to watch it online.
Thanks for the advice. I kept hearing about Dr. Who for years in popculture, but never had desire to start with the old original series which must be today cheesy as hell. I'll look up the 2005 series.

Btw, probably the first place where I saw any TARDIS and related easter-eggs was in the RPG called Dark Disciples by L. Lafebre. (if I remember, there's a dalek-slaying level) It's helluva good roguelike, modern, graphical, no permadeath and has even better second volume. (where I helped with debugging a little) I think Laurens is an Aussie, but very possibly a fan of this British show.
04-09-2012, 10:39 AM
(04-09-2012 09:58 AM)Luminon Wrote:  
(29-06-2011 03:41 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I've never seen any of the original run which went from the 1950s/1960s until the 1980s but I've been a massive fan since it came back in 2005 and never missed an episode.

The general format of the show is that the Doctor (an alien) time travels around with a (human) companion and they usually end up somewhere where there are hostile people/aliens or unfortunate circumstances threatening the existence of innocent people/aliens and the Doctor, with the help of his companion, has to 'save the day'.

I think you would be best watching the episodes in order as quite often there are plot elements or story arcs that span several episodes. I would recommend beginning with the 2005 series as it was my favourite and, because it was the first series for nearly 20 years, it was designed to introduce new people to the series. I suppose you may get away with starting on the 2006 series though as that was the first series to have David Tennant playing the Doctor and he is widely regarded as the 'best Doctor' (11 people have played the Doctor since the show first aired).

I definitely wouldn't recommend beginning on the newer series (introducing Matt Smith as the Doctor) as I feel that the quality has been a bit more patchy and the storylines a bit more cheesy since they had a new head writer in (I think) 2010, though that is just my personal opinion.

Sorry but I'm no help as to anywhere to watch it online as I have all the series on DVD/Blu-Ray so have never needed to watch it online.
Thanks for the advice. I kept hearing about Dr. Who for years in popculture, but never had desire to start with the old original series which must be today cheesy as hell. I'll look up the 2005 series.

Btw, probably the first place where I saw any TARDIS and related easter-eggs was in the RPG called Dark Disciples by L. Lafebre. (if I remember, there's a dalek-slaying level) It's helluva good roguelike, modern, graphical, no permadeath and has even better second volume. (where I helped with debugging a little) I think Laurens is an Aussie, but very possibly a fan of this British show.

Yeah, Lumi, definitely skip the old stuff. It's meaningful if you watched it back in the day, but it's so painfully dated that it's practically unwatchable. I started with the 2005 series and it seemed like no time passed at all until I had caught up with all the episodes. Thumbsup

~Izel
04-09-2012, 10:54 AM
(03-09-2012 12:16 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm watching the new season premier. Daleks!!!!!

Doctor who?

This Matt Smith man is starting to warm up to me.. which makes me think it's time he regenerate.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
04-09-2012, 10:58 AM
Dr. Who is the theme of a Las Vegas slot machine that gave me $1,200.00 on a 5 cent spin.

I put in 10 more 5 cent spins and then decided to go home and buy me a new TV.

Perhaps I should use that TV to watch Dr. Who now - sounds like karma. Never saw any of it...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
04-09-2012, 11:04 AM
(29-06-2011 07:20 AM)Observer Wrote:  Looks like there are several Doctor who lovers on this forum. To be honest, I've never watched even one minute of doctor who in my life. While digging in references made on this forum is slowly get the feeling that I am missing something.

What do you "Dr who lovers" recommend to a newbie.
Can I watch sample episodes on You-tube or do I need to buy the DVD's?
I read the the series are already running since the sixties. What is the best period? Can you watch it just like that or do you need a runner-up to know who's who in Dr Who Smile (couldn't resist the cheap shot)

Care to help filling the void in my culture?
I have 3 versions of “The Un-earthly Child”……..netflix has em, you can find torrent downloads. I have collected most of the DVDs you can buy. The NEW Doctor Who is good too…..
[+] 1 user Likes Chase200mph's post
07-09-2012, 10:18 PM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2012 10:29 PM by GirlyMan.)
You will save the Daleks!

I thought you'd run out of ways to make me sick, but hello again. You think hatred is beautiful.

Goddam I love this show. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-09-2012, 07:58 AM
There's one thing I hate about doctor who... or more accurately the BBC: they had a habit of re-using tapes or something apparently (it's on one of my DVDs, either the "William Hartnell years" with An unearthly Child, The daleks, the edge of destruction, or the Genesis of the daleks with Tom baker). When I saw that I wanted to scream. Ironically, though, the first doctor I saw was Christopher Eccleston, I watched the show for no reason other than "eh, nothing else on".

I was absolutely shocked how neat it was, and how they made neat little comments and things that just "made you think".