Who's doctor Who?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2011, 01:21 AM

RE: Who's doctor Who?
Did they change writers between Eccleston and the following incarnations? Might be the reason the show went from being about wonder and exploration to which enemy is going to piss themselves this week. Huh
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2011, 06:42 AM
(06-07-2011 01:21 AM)Maskelyne Wrote:  Did they change writers between Eccleston and the following incarnations? Might be the reason the show went from being about wonder and exploration to which enemy is going to piss themselves this week. Huh

They got a new head writer between Tennant (the guy after Eccleston) and Smith. That's when it went downhill for me Sad

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-07-2011, 07:11 PM
(06-07-2011 06:42 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  They got a new head writer between Tennant (the guy after Eccleston) and Smith. That's when it went downhill for me Sad

Blasphemer.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
14-07-2011, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2011 03:26 PM by otaku_cj.)
Now, I'm sure that someone will disagree with me on this, but this is how I started and how I'd advise others to start:

I started when my friend annoyed me about it and I started with 11th. However, I would advise people to start off with 9th, because 9th was kinda designed for new people to get into the series and for old fans to jump back in. They realised that a) Doctor Who had been off the air since the late 80s and b) young people might be jumping in for the first time (on account of not having been alive during classic Who years).

That said, when I went back and watched 9th and 10th, there were some things I had to look up online, there must be a Doctor Who wiki around here somewhere. I'd look for basic information on: regeneration, common enemies (including daleks and cybermen), companions, TARDIS, timelords, the Master. While it is possible to just jump on in, I think it makes it easier to jump in if you are familiar with a few terms.

My answers to some of these are:
Regeneration-when they need to switch actors because the old one is retiring from the position or whatnot, the essentially have the doctor "die" and then regenerate into another actor. That is the main point of it, really. "N"th Doctor simply refers to who played that role and is more a fan term as no one ever calls the 9th Doctor "the 9th Doctor", he's still just "the Doctor".
Common Enemies-Daleks and Cybermen are reoccurring enemies (among others) from the Doctor Whoniverse. I think you get a decent introduction on Daleks via 9th honestly.
Companions-normal people, usually from the contemporary era, who travel with the doctor. Act as a way for us normies to get into the show, and are companions to the doctor. There have been non-human companions, but not really any in the new series (with only one coming from non-contemporary era). Most of the ones in the new seasons tend to stay for the entire season, or at least one primary one will and a few others will be in some eps here and there.
TARDIS-Time and Relative Dimensions in Space. It's the Doctor's spaceship, which is bigger on the inside. The Doctor stole it from the Timelords and took it to 60s Great Britain. It looks like a police phonebooth because of the "chameleon circuit", but the circuit broke so it always looks like the phonebooth
Timelord-the Doctor's race. They are long lived and have evolved as such due to exposure from the timestream. Even without regeneration, they live for centuries, regeneration is just "a way to cheat death" (and change actors). They're understandably a bit mad at the Doctor.
The Master-the Doctor's archrival. Also a timelord

So I'm all for starting with the 9th doctor, which is the start of the new series. I also really liked that season, the seasons are fairly standalone to some degree, but 9th's is especially standalone (on account of being the first one)
14-07-2011, 03:40 PM
dang...
I'm really missing something[/php]...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
14-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Hmm, I feel like I totally forgot to mention that most of the episodes in any given season are their own episode. Like, there usually is an overall plot for the season with little hints dropped in the episodes that all gets tied up in the finale.

Actually, the newer seasons have episodes which are affectionately called "Doctor Lite" episodes, I think created due to time constraints, in which the Doctor and/or the companion doesn't show up very much and it follows some random one-shot character. I've quite enjoyed them just as a fun sci-fi episode (9th doesn't have any, they were made up after him). I'm debating if one of these would be a good place to go to see if you like the sci-fi (I still think starting with 9th and series 1 is faster).

But what I'm saying is that it's possible to just watch a few episodes at once, even if it's too addictive for that, without losing sight of a bigger story. I'm mostly saying that to try and make it not seem like such a big task (once I started it certainly wasn't). BBC America plays Doctor Who every afternoon and there might be some eps On Demand (usually for the newest season though). I'd also wager that Netflix has it.

They're in the 6th series of the new right now, which for some reason has had a lot of two part episodes (like 3 two-parters in 7 eps), and almost every season's last two eps are a two parter. However, the 6th series is not the place to start, it's 11th's second season and it does carry on quite a lot from series 5. My one friend insists that it's better to start off when there's a new companion vs a new doctor (because some things will be explained to the new companion again, and I kinda agree with him on that), in which case series 1, 3, 4, and 5 work.

Oh and another reason to start with the new series and series 1:
1) it hasn't been going on as long, it's realistically easy to catch up
2) all of the episodes are there. Earlier eps of the classic Who are missing as a result of 60s TV practices where they would just tape over old stuff. This mostly affects the 1st and 2nd Doctor (and maybe a bit of the 3rd iirc)
3) the first series doesn't expect you to know anything (the third one starts to though)
29-07-2011, 07:38 AM
(30-06-2011 10:25 AM)The_observer Wrote:  No on-line source?

The pirate bay Blush

I would also recommend starting with the new series, even though some of the old episodes are really great. I managed to find and download the first episodes of every doctor and I watched them just out of curiosity since the oldest ones aren't that exciting, but as soon as I started watching the the episodes with the 4th doctor (the guy with the long scarf) I felt I had to continue from there Smile

I still haven't seen that many episodes of the old series but their interesting and I'd recommend them for anyone who likes old sci-fi.
07-10-2011, 09:13 PM

I realize this is not a new thread but Dr Who is very important! I watched the first 5 seasons (of the relaunch) on Netflix streaming.
If you can watch the first season which is, in fact, quite bad (I mean, flatulent aliens? Wtf Great Britain? ) then you can get to the great stuff. And once you get to season 3 you can start Torchwood which is just fabulous, especially if you watched Buffy/Angel (James Masters FTW)
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2011, 07:34 PM
I've decided to give this damned show a shot, because the Doctor made fun of me.

However I don't have netflix and I have no intention of purchasing the boxed sets of the show before having watched it. Also the site I usually use to illegally watch things for free loads this show really slow for some reason... What am I getting at...

Anyone know where I can stream the shit out of this mother trucker? Free?

Don't bitch at me for stealing. I love stealing from big companies. It's great so fuck off.

Also I tend to use the internet to test out things for later purchase. Which with the prices of things these days (and the typical low quality) I think it's only fair. If you saw my movie collection you'd know I pay my dues. (I have a lot of movies)

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-10-2011, 11:14 PM
I think (and could be wrong) that major cable companies provide BBC America in their basic packages and I've found episodes of Doctor Who there. However, if you want to watch episodes online via whatever means I recommend the two episodes called "Blink" and "The Fires of Pompeii." The second one specifically made me cry manly tears, that and David Tennant is my favorite doctor.

But I've only been watching Doctor Who since the latest (2005) series, started in season 1 and just finished watching season 6 (so awesome). So I definitely recommend the show, and if you have the means to watch it, you probably should.

I've never seen the older 80's episodes (or whenever they were produced) so I can't attest to how good (or bad) they are.