Neither
I have no idea. Hell, I'm only voting because I don't want to feel left out
[Show Results]

Who's lost the plot? Me or my Dad?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-05-2012, 10:16 PM
Who's lost the plot? Me or my Dad?
I didn't really know where to put this, feel free to move it if you want Lucradis (not that you'd hesitate if you wanted to anyway Big Grin).

I'm seriously asking this question for my own sanity.

I've mentioned my Dad on here a few times before and as I've said we've never really agreed on my but we've always respected each others opinions. Recently though he's just started spouting shit. At times it's like he's just saying the first crazy thing to come into his head and then defending it like his life depends on it.

I've created this thread because I've started to ask myself whether it's actually me who's going crazy. So here are some of the things that have filled me with incredulity, some slightly, some completely.

1) CCTV
As most of you probably know I'm not a big fan of people championing their privacy, especially when they're in public places. We we're talking about CCTV and I mentioned that I don't get why people complain about the amount of CCTV cameras in public areas. I think that if you're in a public place you're accepting that people might see you. He's not a big fan of all the CCTV. He started talking about how if someone was to continually watch you then they would eventually catch you doing something you shouldn't and even if they didn't they could always misconstrue something (such as a married man talking to an attractive women). I kinda think that the risk of that is minimal at best given that the CCTV cameras in the UK are controlled by all sorts of various people anyway so continually watching someone would be practically impossible. Besides, I can't imagine many people would want to watch a particular person anyway. And I think it's offence to use CCTV footage of someone improperly anyway (not 100% sure). I also think that the tiny risk is worth all the extra crimes that are successfully proven and criminals caught due to CCTV footage. He didn't accept that.

2) DNA
I was saying (as I did in this thread) that I think police should be able to keep any DNA they collect on record, not just convicted criminals. He was against this as well because of the possibility of an innocent person missing out on job opportunities if they needed a background check. He was worried the fact they gave a DNA sample may show up on the check and causing their potential employer to doubt their trustworthiness. I said that, rather than the police destroy potentially useful records, they should just ensure that having your DNA taken doesn't show up on records. He didn't agree though. I also said that if they took everyone's DNA then it would be a level playing-field. He still didn't agree.

3) American Court System
We were talking about Ramsey's Kitchen Nightmares (I haven't seen the episode so I can only go off the description he gave me). He told me about an episode were Gordon Ramsey told a restaurant owner they were over-charging for dishes. The owner agreed but said that when he extended his bank loan the terms of the loan were that he had to charge a certain amount. Ramsey told the owner to tell the bank to fuck off and to change his prices. I thought it was kinda stupid for Ramsey to act like he could just alter a legal agreement at will when he clearly couldn't, my Dad didn't agree though. He said that the prices had been changed. My view is that either the bank agreed or decided not to fight the changes. My Dad still didn't agree, he said I had no way of knowing. I said that it was common sense, if the bank didn't agree and decided to fight it Ramsey couldn't do anything about it as terms of the loan would constitute a contract. My Dad told me that saying that Ramsey couldn't just overrule a legal document was speculation on my part, apparently in his world American Courts recognise Gordon Ramsey's rulings over signed contracts.

So (congratulations if you made it this far, I'd have given up by now), what's the verdict? Am I going crazy?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2012, 11:12 PM
RE: Who's lost the plot? Me or my Dad?
In a word, NO! You're not crazy but you may want to consider a rational thinking course for your daddy! Big Grin

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
30-05-2012, 11:34 PM
As someone who is just naturally a little creepy, can I just say that if it was my job to watch CCTV cameras all day, I totally would follow one person around all day.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
30-05-2012, 11:43 PM
(30-05-2012 11:34 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  As someone who is just naturally a little creepy, can I just say that if it was my job to watch CCTV cameras all day, I totally would follow one person around all day.

If you work in any normal place that has CCTV you'd have a job. You'd be able to watch them for all of five minutes (longer if you're in a business such as a shop or bank but still only an hour or so) and then you'd lose them. After all, if you're working in a shop or something you can hardly go to the shop next door to use their cameras when your victim leaves.

Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
30-05-2012, 11:50 PM
or can you....? *insert creepy music here*

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
30-05-2012, 11:57 PM
(30-05-2012 11:50 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  or can you....? *insert creepy music here*

Hahaha

If you're ever in England you should come to the shop I work in and try that. That would give me a right laugh Big Grin.

Best
Worst
31-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Son please, trust me when I say that I can talk myself into or out of anything.
Keyword being anything.
Smile

31-05-2012, 12:08 AM
You're a fucking lunatic. Especially if you go against Gordon Ramsay!

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
31-05-2012, 12:43 AM
I voted neither. Just different opinions and comfort levels.

The DNA thread I missed but my first thought is that if you have DNA for everyone on file and it got into the wrong hands (if you think the police can stop that there is a little thing about corruption to know about) then anyone can be framed for things they didn't do. Sad

CCTV, if you have this at a shop and the same person walks by everyday and then someone like earmuffs knows about it, maybe at this point of day (or night I guess) that person could end up in trouble. Mostly I think it's okay though.
[+] 1 user Likes LadyJane's post
31-05-2012, 05:29 AM
(31-05-2012 12:43 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  I voted neither. Just different opinions and comfort levels.

The DNA thread I missed but my first thought is that if you have DNA for everyone on file and it got into the wrong hands (if you think the police can stop that there is a little thing about corruption to know about) then anyone can be framed for things they didn't do. Sad

CCTV, if you have this at a shop and the same person walks by everyday and then someone like earmuffs knows about it, maybe at this point of day (or night I guess) that person could end up in trouble. Mostly I think it's okay though.
Wait a sec...
What are you saying LJ!?

I'm not a psycho! I'm just... creatively insane. Tongue