Who's out of touch?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2015, 10:25 AM
RE: Who's out of touch?
(01-06-2015 10:16 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've never heard of AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and a bunch of the bands you youngsters like. I listened to "music" from those three on the internet this a.m. so I wouldn't be so out of touch. It's great stuff if you enjoy jamming an ice pick in your ears.

Hmm. Consider

Hey Black Eagle, pull up YouTube and find the song Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin.

It has some definitive Zeppelin qualities thay can be overlooked in some of their other work.
It's really quite musical. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2015, 10:26 AM
(01-06-2015 10:16 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I've never heard of AC/DC, Van Halen, Led Zeppelin, and a bunch of the bands you youngsters like. I listened to "music" from those three on the internet this a.m. so I wouldn't be so out of touch. It's great stuff if you enjoy jamming an ice pick in your ears.

Yeah, well gramps -- if I got strapped down and forced to listen to your Lawrence Welk - I'd manage to drown in my own blood by chewing off my own tongue......

Wink

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
01-06-2015, 10:43 AM
I'd hang myself if I had to listen to Lawrence Welk. My taste generally runs to classical music and opera. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5DNpB91C8 My 10 year old grandson loves Angela Gheorghiu [his mother is Russian] and he listens to this and then tells me that in the opera, after she sings it, she throws herself into an avalanche to commit suicide. I've always thought that was a classy way to check out.

"Stairway to Heaven" was one of the Led Zeppelin ditties I listened to this morning. I must say, it's not nearly as bad as country western but it's still pretty bad. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Black Eagle's post
01-06-2015, 11:09 AM
(01-06-2015 10:43 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I'd hang myself if I had to listen to Lawrence Welk. My taste generally runs to classical music and opera. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5DNpB91C8 My 10 year old grandson loves Angela Gheorghiu [his mother is Russian] and he listens to this and then tells me that in the opera, after she sings it, she throws herself into an avalanche to commit suicide. I've always thought that was a classy way to check out.

"Stairway to Heaven" was one of the Led Zeppelin ditties I listened to this morning. I must say, it's not nearly as bad as country western but it's still pretty bad. Big Grin

Ah well, to each his own. Shy

I do love my Jazz... I probably go to it for comfort ... and Liszt. Always Liszt. Wink
Currently and for several years now, I've also really been into Middle Eastern music.

After many years of piano lessons starting at the age of 4 ... I've always look to music as an art to move me in whatever way it is capable of. I suppose I like exploring more than most. Variety being the spice of life and all that. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
01-06-2015, 11:18 AM
Oh yes! Angela Gheorghiu - I have her doing Madama Butterfly - kills me every time! Smile

01-06-2015, 11:19 AM
(01-06-2015 11:09 AM)kim Wrote:  ... and Liszt. Always Liszt. Wink

See, Kim, you are a woman of the early 1800s. Big Grin Franz Liszt has been described as the world's first rock star and I think that's probably accurate.
01-06-2015, 11:29 AM
(01-06-2015 11:19 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 11:09 AM)kim Wrote:  ... and Liszt. Always Liszt. Wink

See, Kim, you are a woman of the early 1800s. Big Grin Franz Liszt has been described as the world's first rock star and I think that's probably accurate.

Yep, but its not just the the "rock star" image - it's the music. In the last decades of his life, his music progressed profoundly. He ushered in 20th century modern music. Without him, there would be no Ravel, no Debussy, no Prokofiev ... I might even place Charlie Parker & John Coltrane in that lineup.

Liszt was a man of his time but he was an artist ... and art transcends time.
Doncha know. Wink

01-06-2015, 11:41 AM
(01-06-2015 11:29 AM)kim Wrote:  Liszt was a man of his time but he was an artist ... and art transcends time.
Doncha know. Wink

You are right and I think that you, too, are an artist. Big Grin
01-06-2015, 11:45 AM
(31-05-2015 06:35 PM)kim Wrote:  ...

Pssss... Dirty Deeds, Done Dirt Cheap Wink

Dangit! You made me Google. Sleepy

01-06-2015, 12:26 PM
My husband teaches high school and the kids don't know who Paul McCartney is. Ringo? Pfffft. No idea. Anything before the year 2000 is sketchy whether it's music or basic popular culture......except for Queen. They know who Queen is because We Are the Champions is played at football and basketball games. They have zero idea who the Marx Brothers are, 1950's teen rebel, James Dean. To them the world began when movies switched to color. Anything before that doesn't exist.

How can anyone not know who the Marx Brothers are? The Marx Brothers and Monty Python and Charlie Chaplin were required learning when my two kids were little.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post