Who's out of touch?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2015, 12:37 PM
RE: Who's out of touch?
(01-06-2015 10:43 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I'd hang myself if I had to listen to Lawrence Welk. My taste generally runs to classical music and opera. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5DNpB91C8 My 10 year old grandson loves Angela Gheorghiu [his mother is Russian] and he listens to this and then tells me that in the opera, after she sings it, she throws herself into an avalanche to commit suicide. I've always thought that was a classy way to check out.

"Stairway to Heaven" was one of the Led Zeppelin ditties I listened to this morning. I must say, it's not nearly as bad as country western but it's still pretty bad. Big Grin

I enjoy classical music myself - although opera isn't my thing.....

And country western??? Only thing worse is having your brain wired up directly to the pain centers and running the leads to a cattle prod or a stun gun.......

Press button, have seizure, repeat......

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-06-2015, 12:59 PM
I know a guy who didn't know about Queen and the Rolling Stones and only hardly had heard of the Beatles.
But even for AC/DC, I don't know how one can go his entire life without even having heard of them. I can only "forgive" people who don't live in the first world, people who don't own TVs and a radio and people who spend their entire lives in nightclubs (but fuck, even there you're bound to hear some weirdly remixed trance version of an AC/DC song).

It doesn't have to do with age. The internet makes it possible for anyone to find anything, if they are willing.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
01-06-2015, 01:13 PM
(01-06-2015 12:59 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I know a guy who didn't know about Queen and the Rolling Stones and only hardly had heard of the Beatles.
But even for AC/DC, I don't know how one can go his entire life without even having heard of them. I can only "forgive" people who don't live in the first world, people who don't own TVs and a radio and people who spend their entire lives in nightclubs (but fuck, even there you're bound to hear some weirdly remixed trance version of an AC/DC song).

It doesn't have to do with age. The internet makes it possible for anyone to find anything, if they are willing.

My dad barely knows who the Beatles are - and only because they were on the six oclock news....... He had internet for about 6 months and gave up... Didn't like it....

It's not all that unusual to find older people who grew up in the depression to not really have any appreciation for music at all - except what they heard in church.....

It was a different world....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
01-06-2015, 01:19 PM
(01-06-2015 12:59 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I know a guy who didn't know about Queen and the Rolling Stones and only hardly had heard of the Beatles.

It's a funny thing about Queen and high school students. Ever since the 1980's every group of high school students seems to fall in love with Queen . My own kids loved Queen when they were in high school. I think it's because they are sooooo ultra dramatic and to the teenagers mind the world is full of constant, over the top drama......therefore......Queen.

The other band they like is Kiss. It's the makeup.

One year my daughter went to a Halloween party dressed as the Bride of Frankenstein with the white streaks in her hair. The other teenagers didn't have a clue who the Bride of Frankenstein was. I couldn't believe it but then I remembered that the movie was in black and white so it didn't exist for them. If my husband shows his students any kind of movie it HAS to be in color or they simply WON'T watch it.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
01-06-2015, 01:29 PM
(01-06-2015 12:37 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(01-06-2015 10:43 AM)Black Eagle Wrote:  I'd hang myself if I had to listen to Lawrence Welk. My taste generally runs to classical music and opera. Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7f5DNpB91C8 My 10 year old grandson loves Angela Gheorghiu [his mother is Russian] and he listens to this and then tells me that in the opera, after she sings it, she throws herself into an avalanche to commit suicide. I've always thought that was a classy way to check out.

"Stairway to Heaven" was one of the Led Zeppelin ditties I listened to this morning. I must say, it's not nearly as bad as country western but it's still pretty bad. Big Grin

I enjoy classical music myself - although opera isn't my thing.....

And country western??? Only thing worse is having your brain wired up directly to the pain centers and running the leads to a cattle prod or a stun gun.......

Press button, have seizure, repeat......

I've tried so hard to like opera. I'll listen to an aria but a full length opera is pretty tough. Country western is exceptionally painful and I have to be honest with myself, part of my dislike is influenced by the politics and religion of many of the singers. For some reason I can take women country singers slightly more than the guys. The guys are a total turn off. I hate those stupid hats they wear.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
01-06-2015, 01:31 PM
(01-06-2015 01:13 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  

My dad barely knows who the Beatles are - and only because they were on the six oclock news....... He had internet for about 6 months and gave up... Didn't like it....

It's not all that unusual to find older people who grew up in the depression to not really have any appreciation for music at all - except what they heard in church.....

It was a different world....

Well that makes sense. My grandma's knowledge of music is limited to that of a 5 year old's (and even less). I was mostly talking about young people though and how it doesn't matter how young you are, because you can always find and like older music.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
01-06-2015, 02:00 PM
Being born in Oklahoma in 1984, my memories of music growing up were of 90s country. Garth, Reba, Toby, Tim, Faith and many more.

But I still knew who AC/DC was by the time I was in middle school. Thanks Beavis and Butthead.

Anyone ever played 'Thunderstruck' the drinking game?
01-06-2015, 03:20 PM
Well, you folks are way ahead of me. I learned who AC/DC was this morning.

But, you youngsters don't remember the days before television when we listened to the Lone Ranger and Arthur Godfrey on the radio. You also don't remember when all airplanes were propeller driven and people would stop whatever they were doing and look skyward when a jet came over. And, I'll bet I am the only one here who shook hands with Dwight D. Eisenhower BEFORE he became president. Laugh out load
01-06-2015, 03:34 PM
AGAINST CHRIST/DEVIL'S CHILD

HELL'S BELLS!!!!!!!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
01-06-2015, 04:08 PM
(01-06-2015 03:20 PM)Black Eagle Wrote:  Well, you folks are way ahead of me. I learned who AC/DC was this morning.

But, you youngsters don't remember the days before television when we listened to the Lone Ranger and Arthur Godfrey on the radio. You also don't remember when all airplanes were propeller driven and people would stop whatever they were doing and look skyward when a jet came over. And, I'll bet I am the only one here who shook hands with Dwight D. Eisenhower BEFORE he became president. Laugh out load

Yeah, well --- I'm one of the last professionals who worked morse code, and I know how to rebuild a carburetor......

So THERE ----

(ramming my wheelchair into yours)

[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post