Who's your favorite foreign leader?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2016, 08:28 AM
RE: Who's your favorite foreign leader?
If we include former leaders, I would have to settle for Lee Kuan Yew. Not just a foreign leader, but just an overall leader. He was a bit of an autocrat, but often justifiably so. Turned Singapore from a fishing village into a global financial power.

For the worst former leader I go with Pol Pot. Pol Pot was brutal. Aside from human rights he also gratuitously destroyed Cambodia.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like tomilay's post
06-10-2016, 09:01 AM
Morgoth and Sauron.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-10-2016, 09:12 AM
Canadian Defense Minister Harjit Sajjan is kind of awesome.

[Image: harjit-sajjan.jpg] [Image: wx5wEiXk.jpg]Confused

'Murican Canadian
[+] 3 users Like yakherder's post
06-10-2016, 10:12 AM
(02-10-2016 09:25 PM)skyking Wrote:  Abdullah II of Jordan

I was serious about this guy. Watch the '60 Minutes' segment on him if you missed it and are interested.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-k...id-crisis/
I especially prefer his response to the terrorists torturing one of their pilots.
[+] 2 users Like skyking's post
06-10-2016, 10:51 AM
(05-10-2016 09:12 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(04-10-2016 03:49 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  ---
To say that every one of them sucks -- really?

Many people, especially younger people, have a tendency to have a messiah complex toward political leaders and celebrities. They need to be more perfect than any human can reasonnably achieve to gain "the right" and the necessary trust to lead. To me this phenomenon is fed by a culturaly ingrained dislike and mistrust of authority figures and, sometime, a lack of actual knowledge as of how power affect a social structure.

Beautifully stated and in fact, I champion this understanding. Thumbsup

However, young Zeke is very intelligent ... which also means he has a tendency to cling to his beloved laziness. Dodgy

The encouragement of unfortunate habits will not spur the young mind(s) in our midst to achievements beyond Burger King management. Challenge is a fair exchange.

Come on Zeke, you know someone - it can even be a dead guy - get weird with it.
Brain time, young man. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
06-10-2016, 01:23 PM
(06-10-2016 10:51 AM)kim Wrote:  
(05-10-2016 09:12 PM)epronovost Wrote:  Many people, especially younger people, have a tendency to have a messiah complex toward political leaders and celebrities. They need to be more perfect than any human can reasonnably achieve to gain "the right" and the necessary trust to lead. To me this phenomenon is fed by a culturaly ingrained dislike and mistrust of authority figures and, sometime, a lack of actual knowledge as of how power affect a social structure.

Beautifully stated and in fact, I champion this understanding. Thumbsup

However, young Zeke is very intelligent ... which also means he has a tendency to cling to his beloved laziness. Dodgy

The encouragement of unfortunate habits will not spur the young mind(s) in our midst to achievements beyond Burger King management. Challenge is a fair exchange.

There is a reason I said today, not period.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
06-10-2016, 01:40 PM
(06-10-2016 01:23 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(06-10-2016 10:51 AM)kim Wrote:  Beautifully stated and in fact, I champion this understanding. Thumbsup

There is a reason I said today, not period.

What's your beef about Joyce Banda or Jose Mujica? Both strikes me as exceptionnal specimen of human beings and capable leaders of their country.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
06-10-2016, 01:54 PM
(06-10-2016 01:40 PM)epronovost Wrote:  
(06-10-2016 01:23 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  There is a reason I said today, not period.

What's your beef about Joyce Banda or Jose Mujica? Both strikes me as exceptionnal specimen of human beings and capable leaders of their country.

I like Joyce Banda from what she says but her political career (at least according to Wikipedia) seems somewhat chequered.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-10-2016, 02:01 PM
(06-10-2016 01:23 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  There is a reason I said today, not period.

Ha! You know I adore you.
I enjoy hearing what's inside your noggin. Hug

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
06-10-2016, 02:23 PM
(06-10-2016 01:54 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(06-10-2016 01:40 PM)epronovost Wrote:  What's your beef about Joyce Banda or Jose Mujica? Both strikes me as exceptionnal specimen of human beings and capable leaders of their country.

I like Joyce Banda from what she says but her political career (at least according to Wikipedia) seems somewhat chequered.

Yeah, sure, her political career isn't exempt of all the tribulation of a young african democracy. Being a women, opposition to nepotism and classical authoritarianism isn't going to make your life easy as a political leader in most african country. Despite all this, she strikes me as one of the best world leader out there. Imagine what someone of her caliber could have been if Malawi wasn't an unstable third world country dependant on international aid and on the verge of civil strife. Like Commander Sisco said in Deep Space 9, it's easy to be an angel in heaven, not so much on the frontier.

Freedom is servitude to justice and intellectual honesty.