Who waaants to liiiive forevvvverrrr?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-02-2014, 05:17 PM
RE: Who waaants to liiiive forevvvverrrr?
I do. There is a lot of shit to see that I ain't gonna get to see because of this stupid death thing. As long as I don't have to go through life with a bad Scottish accent...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
08-02-2014, 05:23 PM
I have put thought into this concept before. The thought of eternal life, like the one in described in heaven seems terrifying to me because it feels like you would get bored.

I see it this way. If heaven is really there, and is your reward for living a good, faithful life on earth, than you have already served your purpose, and now just get to chill in blissful paradise forever. I don't see this as desirable, because part of the fun of life is having goals, working for causes, bringing about meaningful change. If you already did these things on earth, and heaven is perfect, than the bliss of eternal living seems boring.

Now, I am up for living as long as possible on Earth. Provided the majority of it isn't as some hobbled old man, because then I can keep pursuing the things that give me fulfillment here. Eternal life (until, as said earlier, the odds of getting hit by a bus catch up to you) seems like a way more desirable way to spend such a large quantity of time.
08-02-2014, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 06:07 PM by Drunkin Druid.)
I honestly don't understand this "getting bored" concept. Maybe after a few billion years one might get bored assuming nothing will happen after the universe as we know it ends. Until that point comes a lot of shit is going to happen so I think it would be worth the risk if the risk actually exists. I also don't see a problem with a paradise. We all have different views of what a paradise. If you need adversity in your life it seems that would be your paradise would include that. As for me paradise would be good music and entertainment with an unending supply of beer and weed and good friends to share it with. I suspect that ideas are unending and we would never run out of things to talk about or ways to entertain ourselves.
08-02-2014, 06:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2014 06:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-02-2014 05:23 PM)mrlmichael Wrote:  I have put thought into this concept before. The thought of eternal life, like the one in described in heaven seems terrifying to me because it feels like you would get bored.

Eternity sounds interminably monotonous.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-02-2014, 06:23 PM

No thank you. Eternity would be horrible and not because there would be nothing to do. Look at all the people who have a hard time dealing with change in their lifetimes? Think of elderly people scared to death of technology and changing culture. Now expand that into millenniums the rise and fall of everything you know and love the loss of your place in time. People don't handle change well and the only truth in the world is everything changes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
08-02-2014, 06:50 PM
(08-02-2014 06:23 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  People don't handle change well and the only truth in the world is everything changes.

Your mission Jim, should you choose to accept it ...

As always should you or any member of your force be caught or killed we will disavow any knowledge of your actions.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
08-02-2014, 07:53 PM
That's something that annoys the fuck out of me about not just xtards, but every other religious type who believes in eternal alternate life and claims we can't have it because we don't believe their superstitions.

I would *love* to live forever. JUST for starters, I'd learn to play every instrument there is (well, maybe not EVERY one) to the level of a master. Hell, nowadays a person can't learn everything there is to learn about a single instrument, much less every style and song one would want to learn.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
08-02-2014, 07:58 PM
(08-02-2014 07:53 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  That's something that annoys the fuck out of me about not just xtards, but every other religious type who believes in eternal alternate life and claims we can't have it because we don't believe their superstitions.

I would *love* to live forever. JUST for starters, I'd learn to play every instrument there is (well, maybe not EVERY one) to the level of a master. Hell, nowadays a person can't learn everything there is to learn about a single instrument, much less every style and song one would want to learn.

Along about my 3rd billion year of afterlife, I'd take up the kazoo.
I'd practice a lot. Really I would. I'd like to be a famous kazoo virtuoso.
I 'm just a little busy for a while.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
If I could live forever, I would travel to alternate universes where there are different physics.
Different physics would never be boring.
I would also create a machine that can travel to universes are exactly the same as mine, but I could be in different times, so I could time travel without creating paradoxes.
I would call it "Time and relative dimensions in space" .

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
08-02-2014, 09:17 PM
Its a powerful desire, would have to question the sanity of those who did not want to.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".