Who waaants to liiiive forevvvverrrr?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-02-2014, 11:14 AM
RE: Who waaants to liiiive forevvvverrrr?
You people get bored easy, or have no imagination for the future, enjoy your recycling of elements while I adventure forever., the universe will go on possibly near infinity in some form, so much stuff to discover, galaxy's to explore, can the universe expand an unlimited amount of distance. AI development, possible human species evolution in space faring communities. thousands of musical instruments to master, thousands more may be invented to learn.
Exciting stuff.
Get to see religion as valid as astrology.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes sporehux's post
09-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Well...there were the "City Builders" (I think those are the correct group) in Niven and Pournell's "Ring Wrld" books who did just that with their 'immortality'. Built huge, star faring ocean liners and went of tours of the nearby galaxy in their Bussard Ram-ships.

So...one could join up with the Mars endeavor and, since one would live long enough to see the infrastructure be built there, actually have a round trip to Mars. Smile

Very much cheers to all.
09-02-2014, 12:44 PM
Well, there are a million things I'd like to see and do that I'll never get around to, so yes, I'd like to live longer -- even forever. However, if that actually happened (to everyone, not just me), I foresee a few problems:

1. All life depends on the death of other life (the food chain) -- why should we be exempt from that?

2. Overpopulation would be a huge problem unless we also stopped having kids, and I don't think that's desirable. Kids are cool, and new life leads to new ideas, etc.

3. A lot of good things happen as a result of people taking risks. Who would ever take a risk with a potentially infinite life at stake?

4. I'm a huge procrastinator as it is, and I fear that if I had eternity at my disposal, I would never do anything at all -- can always do it tomorrow. Mortality is a strong incentive to make your mark now rather than later.

So: immortality for everyone? Not such a good idea. Immortality for just me? Unfair, and it would get unbearably lonely losing my friends and loved ones over and over and over again. So I vote no.
09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
Can't believe nobody posted this..

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
09-02-2014, 01:21 PM
When I was in the deepest throes of my depression, where I just wanted everything to end, I took comfort from the fact that one day I will die and all of this will be gone.

As much as I am 95% over my depression and once again living a happy and relatively peaceful life full of new opportunities and goals there still remains that teeny weeny part that looks forward to the bliss of nothingness.

Would be interesting though to see how the human brain would cope with being active for thousands of years? Even though we have billions of braincells and billions of neural connections would it one day, like a hardrive on your computer, become full?

Would you still retain your earliest memories or would there come a point where your brain has to re-write over old memories with newer ones?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
10-02-2014, 06:27 AM
(08-02-2014 04:52 PM)earmuffs Wrote:  I decided I'm not gonna die ages ago.

I like your style muffs! Thumbsup

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
10-02-2014, 06:29 AM
(08-02-2014 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 04:34 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  By the way, if you didn't read the thread title as the chorus of the classic queen song, you suck! Big Grin

No you suck for not grounding your own fucking references asshole. Angry

Big Grin

Face of Boe time feels about right. Everything has its time.

Nuh-uh Girly, YOU suck. ... Great vids though, I wish I had posted them Tongue

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
10-02-2014, 06:50 AM
OK, ploughing through the answers, we have Bucky, Taq and I in a band with some emphasis on kazoo lead breaks and maybe some contrapuntal melody work? Taq, I'm sure you'll do well on all of your instruments throughout eternity but for some reason, you strike me as a drummer. Might I suggest you on percussion of eternity?

A theme seems to be, I'd live forever if I'm young and fit and it's not in any predetermined depiction of heaven we already hold. I can get on board with that. To my knowledge, no current depiction of heaven has Bucky shredding the kazoo back dropped against Taq taking us to funky town. ... I think I'll join this band on harpsichord by the way.

For the naysayers, I take a lot of the points. Boredom though is your problem! If after 253 000 000 years, the TTA band isn't doing it for you, then frankly you don't deserve eternal life. So, as well as conceding we stay young and sexy, we can also add that suicide is also an option. You can check out anytime you want.

For all of the selfless people who wish to obey natural laws and make room for the children of the future ... BLEURGH! HoboBeat_stick you can be our minions. You can have 9 to 5 jobs, reproduce and die. You can have fulfilment by knowing you are serving the needs of the eternal ones, keeping our planet alive and our amenities running! ... I salute you! Thumbsup

And ... Peebothulul, I've got something to say. It's better to burn out than fade away! Big Grin

Im_Ryan forum member
10-02-2014, 07:05 AM
(08-02-2014 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 04:34 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  By the way, if you didn't read the thread title as the chorus of the classic queen song, you suck! Big Grin

No you suck for not grounding your own fucking references asshole. Angry

Big Grin

Fun Fact: Brain May, the lead guitarist from Queen, has a PhD in astrophysics from Imperial College London.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-02-2014, 07:12 AM
(10-02-2014 07:05 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(08-02-2014 05:01 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  No you suck for not grounding your own fucking references asshole. Angry

Big Grin

Fun Fact: Brain May, the lead guitarist from Queen, has a PhD in astrophysics from Imperial College London.

Another fun fact. He received treatment for 'sexual addiction' in the 90s for his amorous behaviour towards his partner Anita Dobson, who incidentally had exactly the same hairstyle as him! Big Grin

Im_Ryan forum member