Who waaants to liiiive forevvvverrrr?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2014, 11:33 AM
RE: Who waaants to liiiive forevvvverrrr?
(10-02-2014 10:40 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 09:01 AM)War Horse Wrote:  Hey , can I get on as backstage security ? I work for beers and BBQ baby.... Big Grin

You're in mate, head of security and chief roadie. Which means as a bonus you also get a motorhead t shirt of your choice and a massive bunch of keys that don't fit anything! Thumbsup

Cool beans... I cant wait to deal with unruly fans and see what the girls are willing to do to get backstage, ala Richard Cole style. (ref. Zepplin) Cool

And , oooohhh ! shiney keys. Dodgy

If bullshit were music some people would be a brass band.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes War Horse's post
10-02-2014, 11:36 AM
(10-02-2014 11:33 AM)War Horse Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 10:40 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  You're in mate, head of security and chief roadie. Which means as a bonus you also get a motorhead t shirt of your choice and a massive bunch of keys that don't fit anything! Thumbsup

Cool beans... I cant wait to deal with unruly fans and see what the girls are willing to do to get backstage, ala Richard Cole style. (ref. Zepplin) Cool

And , oooohhh ! shiney keys. Dodgy

Careful with that though mate ... lots of people talkin' few of them know. The soul of a woman was created below! Heh Cool

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
[+] 1 user Likes Monster_Riffs's post
10-02-2014, 02:14 PM
(08-02-2014 04:34 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Me, that's who!

By the way, if you didn't read the thread title as the chorus of the classic queen song, you suck! Big Grin

Anyway, it seems a standard goto atheist answer to the question is usually something like, I'd get bored after 1000 years, or, Nah, I can't think of anything more depressing!

I put it to you my mortal brothers and sisters of the world that you aren't creative enough! I DO want to live forever and I'd train, participate in cool activities like diving and dominoes! I'd be looking forward to GTA157 on my PS94 and watch Jaws 307 and LOVE it! Smile

Who would/wouldn't want to live forever and why?

Oh fuck no.

Living forever would probably be one of the most hellish things you could do to a living creature. Doubly so if the creature is intelligent enough to be able to consider the ramifications of it's immortality.
No matter what it wants, it must live forever, even when the creature begs for death. It must live on, knowing that it will outlive every single fellow creature has or it will ever love. To avoid the pain of watching them all die with no end for itself it would by necessity either have to turn it's back entirely to it's fellow creatures or allow it's so precious emotions to be dulled one beloved at a time until it is little more than a shell of it's former self, forever forced to deal with the knowledge that this will never end for it. Also; how would one deal with the fact that they eventually would be the last of their species, how would the creature react when it found out?
Practically everyone else in the anti-eternity camp has pointed out bored as you do: given eternity everything that can be accomplished will be accomplished and beyond that nothing but pointless existence remains. Once the creature has done everything there is to do, what next?

I can see a plus side. If I had eternity, though it probably would take me quite a bit more time than your average hypothetically eternal user here would, I could master every minutia of knowledge, eventually I may even come to know the extent of reality itself with my unending time; the sum of all things ever knowable would eventually become learned to me. Speaking in the stupidity I find so classic in optimism, my greatest goal at this time is to learn and share my knowledge and with eternity to learn I could well to do, spread my knowledge to whatever then exists; I get the feeling humanity wouldn't be around by that time though.

Ultimately I wouldn't want to live forever. Maybe some extra time 'young' would be nice but I'm not all that fussed.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
10-02-2014, 06:43 PM
(10-02-2014 02:14 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  

By the way, if you didn't read the thread title as the chorus of the classic queen song, you suck! Big Grin

Anyway, it seems a standard goto atheist answer to the question is usually something like, I'd get bored after 1000 years, or, Nah, I can't think of anything more depressing!

I put it to you my mortal brothers and sisters of the world that you aren't creative enough! I DO want to live forever and I'd train, participate in cool activities like diving and dominoes! I'd be looking forward to GTA157 on my PS94 and watch Jaws 307 and LOVE it! Smile

Oh fuck no.

Living forever would probably be one of the most hellish things you could do to a living creature. Doubly so if the creature is intelligent enough to be able to consider the ramifications of it's immortality.
No matter what it wants, it must live forever, even when the creature begs for death. It must live on, knowing that it will outlive every single fellow creature has or it will ever love. To avoid the pain of watching them all die with no end for itself it would by necessity either have to turn it's back entirely to it's fellow creatures or allow it's so precious emotions to be dulled one beloved at a time until it is little more than a shell of it's former self, forever forced to deal with the knowledge that this will never end for it. Also; how would one deal with the fact that they eventually would be the last of their species, how would the creature react when it found out?
Practically everyone else in the anti-eternity camp has pointed out bored as you do: given eternity everything that can be accomplished will be accomplished and beyond that nothing but pointless existence remains. Once the creature has done everything there is to do, what next?

I can see a plus side. If I had eternity, though it probably would take me quite a bit more time than your average hypothetically eternal user here would, I could master every minutia of knowledge, eventually I may even come to know the extent of reality itself with my unending time; the sum of all things ever knowable would eventually become learned to me. Speaking in the stupidity I find so classic in optimism, my greatest goal at this time is to learn and share my knowledge and with eternity to learn I could well to do, spread my knowledge to whatever then exists; I get the feeling humanity wouldn't be around by that time though.

Ultimately I wouldn't want to live forever. Maybe some extra time 'young' would be nice but I'm not all that fussed.

Come on FT, you can't start a post all hells no and talk yourself in to a maybe! Get off the fence! Are you going to be an eternal lifer or a minion? Come on young man, get off the fence! Big Grin

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
10-02-2014, 06:56 PM

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
10-02-2014, 06:56 PM
(10-02-2014 11:36 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Careful with that though mate ... lots of people talkin' few of them know. The soul of a woman was created below! Heh Cool

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-02-2014, 06:58 PM
(10-02-2014 06:56 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 11:36 AM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  Careful with that though mate ... lots of people talkin' few of them know. The soul of a woman was created below! Heh Cool

Duh! ... Thanks Girly, forgot to ground my reference again Tongue

Im_Ryan forum member
10-02-2014, 06:59 PM
(10-02-2014 06:56 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

I don't want Bon Jovi to live forever either! Drinking Beverage

Im_Ryan forum member
10-02-2014, 07:33 PM
(10-02-2014 06:59 PM)Monster_Riffs Wrote:  
(10-02-2014 06:56 PM)LostandInsecure Wrote:  

I don't want Bon Jovi to live forever either! Drinking Beverage

Lol I loved this song when I was a kid. It was on one of the NOW Thats What I Call Music CD's I had lol. Jeez that makes me feel so old. I do want to live forever btw. Why the heck not?

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
10-02-2014, 07:41 PM
I think after a good five centuries I'd get kind of bored. If I were able to come a few mountains, visit every country at least twice, try every dish on the planet (without getting fat), and learn at least 30 languages
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user