Who was Jesus?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2011, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 26-12-2011 11:19 PM by Mia.)
RE: Who was Jesus?
Theory one is covered extensively in this video I found on Youtube a while back

I think this is a valid theory, particularly since it seems to be almost identical to the Hercules example shown in the video.
Being that apologetics will often use the "there is proof for Jesus's existence" argument, this is a good way of explaining to them that existence doesn't necessarily equate to the supernatural claims attached to his existence
(26-12-2011 10:38 PM)Egor Wrote:  I mean seriously, look at my signature. What kind of person would say something like that? What kind of person would brazenly forgive people of the sins they have done against other people--as if they could. Lunatics don't even act like that. I'm telling you, when you go looking for Jesus Christ, you find a mystery. You can dismiss the mystery and walk away, but a thinking person can't do that. They will either follow him, like me. Or they will spend their lives trying to justify why they dont, like you.

To be quite honest, I find the concept of atonement, as the New Testament describes, repulsive.
This idea that you can be absolved of your wrong doings by simply believing in Jesus and asking for his forgiveness is a literal rejection of actual accountability for the hurt you may have caused to others. You can kill, rape, steal, ruin lives, etc, and in the Christian belief system, just ask for Jesus's forgiveness and your conscience is clean, that does not jive with me at all.
If I hurt someone, as far as I'm concerned, the only atonement I can receive is from my victims forgiveness, that's it. There is no adding a third party into this as a way out in my book

And not only that, the Biblical act of atonement involved the horrific torture of an innocent person, which makes it even worse than in the OT where we have god commanding we sacrifice innocent animals to him. Why does [your] god require blood, pain and death to allow forgiveness?

"it is a principle innate and co-natural to every man to have an insatiable inclination to the truth, and to seek for it as for hid treasure..."
-Thomas Aikenhead
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Mia's post
27-12-2011, 02:40 AM
Who was jesus?.......................Hi.

Twice the anger, Half the space!
[+] 1 user Likes Hamata k's post
28-12-2011, 10:48 PM
Couldn't Jesus simply have been a cultured man who taught flawed people about morality as he believed in it? What if every account of his declaration of being the son of God was simply 'inserted' for the sake of the bible's initial goals?

I don't see why a historical figure like Jesus couldn't have existed. A man who thought differently and preached about it, whether religious or not, and who encouraged a more peaceful way of life. Anything else could easily have been exaggerated.

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter!"

[+] 1 user Likes Bairny's post
29-12-2011, 10:07 AM
I like the time traveller story, there is actually a german movie based on that theroy "Das Jesusvideo" (the jesus video) not sure if that has been translated into other languages.
Anyway in the movie archeologists find a sealed plasticbag with a camcorder in it.
They check the model but can't find an existing match.
They check what was filmed and you see a man walking who looks like Jesus (lol).
They also found bones in the same place and think that these are jesus bones, though the bones have been fixed with nails or so.
Anyway, the church starts hunting the archeologist, who find a woman who helps him.
Of course they fall in love.
They find out about experiments about time traveling.
Somehow he travels back in time with a camcorder just that model - and there we are.

But cool action movie, really Big Grin

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
04-01-2012, 12:05 AM
Jesus was a Rabbi, educated in Egypt, who knew the scriptures and used them to portray himself as the savoir that was prophesized. He was the bastard son of a Roman solder and a woman named Marry. (Sorry Joseph, she was no virgin). Jesus and his half brother Judas hated the Romans and wanted to start a civil uprising to get them out of Palestine. The religious leaders of the Jews (Pharisees) had just struck a deal with Pilot "Not to Kill every Hebrew in Palestine" and this Jesus guy was screwing it all up, so he had to go.

Occam's Razor - the simplest explanation will be the most plausible.
Notice that there was "NO mass conversion" of Jews to Christian immediately following the "so called" resurrection. Does this make sense?

He basically just got himself killed and 300 years later a Roman tyrant named Constantine used the myths to start a state religion in Rome. He needed what only a state religion could provide, "worldly torture with a side eternal damnation". Unfortunately for thousands of innocent people who were burned at the stake, etc. the story "stuck". They did call this the "dark ages". What a legacy for Christians to claim as theirs. How do you even begin to apologize for that?

So, who was Jesus? Either a Foolish Ballsy Dude or a Complete Myth, but he wasn't the "son of one of the 1,300 gods invented by humans". (give or take a few hundred)

Peace be with you my Christian Brother. You'll need to detox for about 30 days to get the Christendom out of your system, but you will feel sooooo much better on the other side. I know it sounds hard, but you can do it. I have faith in you. Welcome to the enlightenment. Next time bring a friend, or two.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
04-01-2012, 03:19 AM
One of my favourite quotes about J.C:

"A man who was merely a man and said the sort of things Jesus said would not be a great moral teacher. He would either be a lunatic – on a level with the man who says he is a poached egg – or else he would be the Devil of Hell. You must make your choice. Either this man was, and is, the Son of God; or else a madman or something worse. You can shut Him up for a fool, you can spit at Him and kill him as a demon; or you can fall at His feet and call Him Lord and God. But let us not come with any patronizing nonsense about His being a great human teacher. He has not left that open to us. He did not intend to.--C.S. Lewis

Sums him up quite well I think..!
And remember Jesus didn't come to save you [Matthew 15:24] or bring peace to the world! [Matthew 10:34]
04-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Jesus? Wait...do you mean this guy??

[Image: e2Oq8.jpg]

Big GrinBig GrinTongueTongueBlush

We make our world significant by the courage of our questions and the depth of our answers.

- Carl Sagan
[+] 1 user Likes zaika's post