Poll: Were you told about the Nephilim as a child?
This poll is closed.
Yes 5.88% 1 5.88%
No 88.24% 15 88.24%
Somewhat 5.88% 1 5.88%
Total 17 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Who were the Nephilim?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-05-2012, 02:21 PM
Who were the Nephilim?
I know that this is going to make people facepalm but I'm a closet atheist and I want to ask a question to the atheists here. My dad firmly believes
the truth of the book of Revelation and believes that the European
Union is talked about in the book of Revelation and that there are
people who are descended from this race of demonoid hybrids (I kid you
not). My question is:

1. Does the Biblical account of the Nephilim (my dad talks to us
about this a lot) have any precursors in mythology of the Near East?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-05-2012, 03:47 PM
RE: Who were the Nephilim?
Wow. I'll have to think about that and get back to you with a bit of research. Being a lifelong non-Theist, I'd never heard of these Nephilim until well into adulthood. But some time ago, I read a little modern Spiritualist work which does refer to such creatures. Quite a convoluted load of hooey. Shy

What a strange thing for your Dad to obsess about. What does he think those goofy little fuckers are up to? Unsure

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
16-05-2012, 04:03 PM
Just Google it. Lot of stuff there, as I recall. If there is anything there about "Apkallu" or that myth, click on the link, if there is one. It should lead somewhere to the the god Enki, which is the same god "Enkidu" (from Gilgamesh ... the flood myth).

The question maybe isn't so much where this myth came from, but it might be interesting for you to investigate the orogins of the Book of Revelation, (as well as all the myths they appropriated when it was compiled), why, how and when it was accepted, rejected, accepted, rejected, and accepted, (to this day .. only by some) again into the canon.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
16-05-2012, 11:27 PM
I was told about them.

I still remember the pictures of them in the "My book of bible stories' publishes by the JWs.

Yes, they are the offspring of (rebellious) angels who looked down on the earth (from the heavenly realm) who lusted and wanted physical sex with female women.

So anyway they materialized into men and had sex with them....and VIOLA! The babies grew into big giants of the earth. And they were bullies and mean. Anyway, Jehovah/Yahweh wiped them out the in the flood.

This is what I was taught about nephilem being raised a Jovie anyway.

In conclusion, it's a nice mythical story you can chalk up with all of the other of the bibullshit. So if you ever get sick of mocking biblethumpers on logic by using the the talking donkey, flood legend or Jonah etc... This is a another nice lil story to throw in their face.

Forget Jesus. Stars died so you could live.-Lawrence Krauss

For god loved the world so much he tortured his only begotten son, gave him a 3 day nap only to wake up in ultimate awesomeness and called it a sacrifice.
[+] 1 user Likes Atheist Chiefs fan!'s post
17-05-2012, 11:42 AM
um, so if the flood wiped these creatures out (along with the dinosaurs) wouldn't there be a fossil record of them along side the dinosaurs?
17-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Some people think the nephilem were an ancient alien species that crash landed on earth and decided to procreate with the people of our planet. Making alien human hybrids. They also think that the Christ was one of the surviving offspring from these humpfests, which is why he had supa powers. And you know that somehow makes more sense to me than the bible version. Maybe it's because aliens rate higher on a list of probability than heaven and god.

Maybe aliens did it.

Cue Jpeg of crazy ancient aliens guy with the hair of a drug abuser.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
17-05-2012, 11:53 AM
(17-05-2012 11:42 AM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  um, so if the flood wiped these creatures out (along with the dinosaurs) wouldn't there be a fossil record of them along side the dinosaurs?
Don't go getting all sciency and sh*t Consider

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user