Who/what made your ego?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-11-2011, 02:23 PM
RE: Who/what made your ego?
Go Filox! It's your birthday! It's your birthday!

Some would consider Filox to be incorrect, but he speaks truth. My problem has been the duality of ego to arrogance, whereas many consider ego to be a Freudian concept. I consider myself arrogant without displaying some of the negative aspects of such a consideration because I know truth as well - the only morality that is continually tested and improved is my own.

But if ego is the outward expression of self, mine comes from my love of Gwyneth Paltrow. A rational perspective is that all she was to me was inspiration to an uninspired artist; my irrational interpretation is that she created me, and from me, the universe. More poetic that way. Wink

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-11-2011, 03:13 PM
Strong ego is good. Self confidence should be the center of our intellectual, creative person.

Arrogance is not the best way to to be either intellectual or creative.

To me, the difference between arrogance and self confidence....

Arrogance - To be unteachable or unwilling to learn...

...everything else is self confidence. The more the merrier.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like defacto7's post
24-11-2011, 06:39 PM
(24-11-2011 03:13 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  Arrogance - To be unteachable or unwilling to learn...

Definitely not a component of this unit. My naive philosophy of the past was to consider the two terms in relation to the self; that ego glorified the individual and arrogance glorified an idea of the individual. Thus I remain "arrogant" in that all of these words are "Yay my Gwynnies!" rather than "Yay me!"

It is conceivable at this time that the entirety of my personality has been crafted of naive philosophy around the core trait of an inability to love myself; if anything is to be learned from this unit it is that the responsibility of parenthood has one key component - love.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-11-2011, 07:47 PM

(24-11-2011 03:13 PM)defacto7 Wrote:  Arrogance - To be unteachable or unwilling to learn...
...everything else is self confidence. The more the merrier.

defacto is right: "Arrogance - To be unteachable or unwilling to learn..."

The mindset of American/Canadian citizens is full of arrogance. We live in our comfortable tiny bubble, cobbled together by history and geography, in almost total ignorance about what it costs the rest of the world. Our ego is a combination of pathetic narcissism and unbelievable ignorance about the condition of the whole planet we live on. What made our egos? The unlucky accident of having a stubbed toe and the lucky coincidence of not having our throats cut (yet).

Other than that, we are full of confidence. Undecided
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Zatamon's post
25-11-2011, 02:12 AM
(24-11-2011 07:47 PM)Zatamon Wrote:  ... Our ego is a combination of pathetic narcissism and unbelievable ignorance about the condition of the whole planet we live on. What made our egos? The unlucky accident of having a stubbed toe and the lucky coincidence of not having our throats cut (yet).

Other than that, we are full of confidence. Undecided

Zat... I think my minimalism is too minimal. Sorry....

I make a distinction between a healthy ego and an unhealthy one. If we have a healthy ego we are less likely to be unteachable or unwilling to learn. I propose that the sick society of which you have spoken so elequently is made of people who have little or no ego at all. What so many have misinterpreted as being "yourself" or "doing what you want, regardless" is actually lack of individuality and more properly associated with an inability to survive outside of a societal cradle, if you will.... lack of ego. A person with a healthy sense on self has the ability to listen and learn from his environment and make decisitons without relying on acceptance of peers to dictate actions. It's the willingness to lead or be a follower based on understanding where you fit in any particular scheme. It also means the ability to change based on ones experience or reasonable trust.

Refusal to change when reason/necessity perscribes it, is arrogance. Unwillingness to learn is arrogance. I propose that arrogance obliterates ego and replaces it with the possibility of devolution. To say "everything else is self confidence" is actually to say we are not very confident... the true ego of man is dying and with it man's ability to survive.

Houseofcantor, Some of your posts show a lot vision and optimism. I do appreciate it. I don't share much of it.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
25-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Well, considering what some of you have written here, I would not call myself to be arrogant, because I do like to learn and I will listen to other people, I'm not blind and deaf to new ideas. But what I do not like is that occasionally I can sound extra arrogant, when I am in a strange mood (mostly in the morning and that is when I'm online, my evening posts are much different Smile ) and when I do not have a lot of patience for explaining without attacking, so I don't always like what and how I write my answers, but what the hell, what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, so in a way that can help someone to become stronger, or more resilient to other peoples ranting at them.

So you see, again, I am great, I do everything for your benefit, like it or not.

Smile

Filox The Great. I like the sound of that...

Smile

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
25-11-2011, 06:34 PM
Oh, brave new world
that has such people in't!

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.