Who would live in virtual reality?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2012, 01:27 PM
RE: Who would live in virtual reality?
Virtual Reality really wouldn't be any different from actual reality. Our "reality" we live in is just governed by sub-atomic structures that have properties and as such exert logic rules on the other structures around them, thus making our laws of physics that we work to discover. In some ways you can view our universe as a giant logic sequence playing out.

In VR instead of just being subject to the natural properties, you get to design the logic.

There are some in the physics field who actually think our universe doesn't really exist, and our minds are just participating in logic input. The thought then follows that we may be able to do things like alter the universe someday by discovering enough about the core logic the universe runs by and simply reprogramming it. Want to go to Mars? Just change the logic function enough that it is more mathematically probable that you exist there!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Superluminal's post
06-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Yeah, I think I'd do it. If I'm happier there, why not?
06-03-2012, 06:22 PM
(06-03-2012 08:55 AM)robotworld Wrote:  An interesting idea, BUT what if we are already in a VR world right now?

Yeah, I mean who says we ain't? And how would we know? ... Wait I've heard this before somewhere ... Ah, yes now I remember. Brain in a Vat.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
06-03-2012, 06:28 PM
(06-03-2012 08:33 AM)satan69 Wrote:  If you could be in some virtual reality machine, and pick any heaven like perfect place of your choosing for the rest of your physical life, would you do it. You would be there until your physical body died, and then you would cease to exist. BUT, you would never know you were in a VR world, and it would feel 100% real. So lets say you die of a stroke at 50. at 30 you would go into the VR machine and live 20 years in a fake utopia, but you wouldnt know it was fake. then you would die. who signs up?

Boy, if I went there I'd be already dead!

As long as I don't have to die at 50 I'd go. But you're gonna have to move the age up quite a bit.

Sounds like a deal to me.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
(06-03-2012 08:33 AM)satan69 Wrote:  If you could be in some virtual reality machine, and pick any heaven like perfect place of your choosing for the rest of your physical life, would you do it. You would be there until your physical body died, and then you would cease to exist. BUT, you would never know you were in a VR world, and it would feel 100% real. So lets say you die of a stroke at 50. at 30 you would go into the VR machine and live 20 years in a fake utopia, but you wouldnt know it was fake. then you would die. who signs up?

Christians, but then again they already are living in make believe.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
07-03-2012, 12:22 AM
I've spent long enough amounts of time on less immersive simulations. Let me live without humans and I'd be perfectly content. The virtual experiences of Second Life prove to a large extent the diversity of just plain human ingenuity and imagination. And I really loved being on there as a cat with all my cats I hung out with. It felt so wonderful to not have to look at huns all the time. Life was so different on there =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
07-03-2012, 12:35 AM
Once in a while maybe... but I've got a thirst for cars and motorcycles that can only be quenched through hearing a wonderful roar of an engine and thrill of the throttle. No matter how elaborate a VR could ever get, I'd take the real deal over it any day. That said... I wouldn't mind a trip to the holodeck now and then.
07-03-2012, 12:44 AM
No, I wouldn't, I like reality, reality is in hardcore mode all the time, so it makes it more exiting Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
07-03-2012, 06:39 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 07:05 AM by houseofcantor.)
Me and my Gwynnies...

[Image: th_about____.jpg]

I'm already there. Any more Gwynnies and my head would explode.

The question is kinda pointless as stated. If it seems that I'm crazy about Gwyneth Paltrow online, you should see me in person. Thing is, the human ain't wired for that kinda excitement. Utopia would become mundane by Tuesday; or heads would explode.

See? That's what I'm talking about...

I went out to have a smoke. I got Gwynnies on the brain (and on the google image search Wink ), I'm talking to the neighbor's cat when I take a step forward... right into the ground. Big Grin

I'm at the bottom of the stairs, in the snow, laughing like an idiot. If I was a real person, it prolly woulda hurt, prolly woudna been funny. Might have been blood involved. Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-03-2012, 07:51 AM
You know, it would be interesting to hear the age of everyone who answered.

To me, it sounds like a perfect way to retire. Which I could do in real life but something always catches my attention and I postpone it. At this rate, I will never retire unless I go to a different reality. And you said, it would feel just like reality.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man