Who would you obey ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2016, 08:40 PM
Who would you obey ?
I saw a video the other day in which a kid asks Bill Nye, "If there was a god would you obey it ?"

And it made me think about the behavioral traits of someone that I think most people might obey.

A rich, insane person who threatens to kill everyone you know and then tortures you with a slow death if you don't do this small favor for him.
He has the money to hire hitmen and zero empathy when it comes to torture.

This is the guy you will probably obey.

Now let's look at someone who is super smart, kind and doesn't command you to do anything, but merely gives you the best advice he can with the latest available data.

With this guy, you have the free will to make your own choice.

If people want you to obey their god, it's a pretty safe bet that god is an insane evil fuck.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Rahn127's post
20-07-2016, 08:44 PM
RE: Who would you obey ?
Do the rich guy and the smart guy both exist simultaneously, and do we get a choice knowing what their methods are?
[+] 2 users Like pablo's post
21-07-2016, 06:20 AM
If someone is pointing a gun at my head, I will obey. I will do exactly what they tell me to do. No more, no less. It doesn't mean I like the person holding the gun. It doesn't mean I approve of their methods. But I'm not stupid.

The second one would have my respect. And I would probably end up taking their advice if it was sound.
21-07-2016, 08:30 AM
If a smart person makes a suggestion and I think it's a good idea I'll do it because it's a good idea, but maintain the option to say no. If someone holds leverage over me (including but not limited to a significantly higher probability of being able to kill me than I have to kill them), I will choose the option that is most likely to lead me towards whatever objective I have which, in the short term, might be simply to survive. In the meantime, as I play the submission game, I will begin looking for leverage which I can use to reverse the role and convert them into my own slave or destroy them.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
21-07-2016, 12:13 PM
I think the premise is correct and reminds me of the mob boss comparison to God, it doesn't matter how much your alliance with him might benefit you, if you reject him you will suffer.

Another comparison I use is the idea that God loves you so much, it's like a stalker who happens to have magical powers listening to your thoughts, judging every choice you make, trying to decide if you are truly worthy of him and wanting your love in return, why? Because he has your soul held hostage, if you don't love him back you will be tortured...umm I don't see how this is love or why that should be a good enough reason, a stalker may "love" their victim but that doesn't owe him their love back or justify any reasons to obey them.

So in the end it will always come back down to fear, even if this stalker only wanted you to do what was in your best interests if they never directly speak to you or communicate clearly you will make mistakes and how can you be judged for those mistakes? You're only human, you're not a magical being. Anyone with any sense of self respect would tell that asshole to fuck off and let me live my damn life but nope many people gladly leash themselves to the psychopath and act like it's all about joy and love, ok whatever you gotta tell yourself to sleep at night.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
21-07-2016, 12:25 PM
Here's my take on "gods". Essentially if there is a god they are most likely a more advanced lifeform vs a supernatural being in my opinion. There is no built in reverence/obedience requirement to that "god". I would question their motives if it was something I disagreed with either morally or otherwise.

If Obama(or any other similar figure) showed up on doorstep and said that I need to quit my current job (which I like) and move my family somewhere else because He (or my country) really needed it, I wouldn't blindly say yes. I would consider it, discuss it with my wife and maybe if I thought that it benefited both parties I would do it but there shure as hell wouldn't be blind obedience.

Just because something has more advanced technology or is in a position of power over me does not mean that (1) they are acting in my interests and (2) that I should obey them purely on the basis of the perceived power position.

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored- Aldous Huxley
21-07-2016, 12:43 PM
With obey there's always a threat, yup. I might comply, but I won't obey. (To me, obey implies the subordination of an inferior to a superior; I don't do "obey" well.)

I agree that touchy-freely-lovey God is easier to ignore or disobey than angry dad God.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post