Who wrote the bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Who wrote the bible?
I was thinking about how christian's believe the bible to be "the word of god"; obviously it is not and was written by men because of its various imperfections. I wonder if it had been written by women maybe it would be a little more believable that it came from a superior being. ;-)

And if you do any of these (forbidden) things, he will send you to a special place, of burning and fire and smoke and torture and anguish for you to live forever, and suffer and burn and scream until the end of time. But he loves you. He loves you and he needs money.
-George Carlin
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-10-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: Who wrote the bible?
(11-10-2012 09:43 PM)BipolarA Wrote:  I was thinking about how christian's believe the bible to be "the word of god"; obviously it is not and was written by men because of its various imperfections. I wonder if it had been written by women maybe it would be a little more believable that it came from a superior being. ;-)

The bible being "the word of god" is as true as the Flying Spaguetti Monster Tongue

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
Find all posts by this user
11-10-2012, 10:21 PM
(11-10-2012 09:43 PM)BipolarA Wrote:  I was thinking about how christian's believe the bible to be "the word of god"; obviously it is not and was written by men because of its various imperfections. I wonder if it had been written by women maybe it would be a little more believable that it came from a superior being. ;-)

Interesting question. I don't know if there are theories about the New Testament. There are some significant women in parts of Paul, and at least one of the Gnostic gospels were written by women. There is a theory that a substantial part of one of the sources of the Old Testament, (the "J" source), may have been a woman. There is a book about it here.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Book-J-Harold-...+book+of+j
It's based on the relative inferred status position, and women's issues and other rather complicated stuff which (supposedly) reflected a higher position of women at court in the days of the Kingdom, (pre-Exile). The book is a good introduction to the Documentary Hypothesis, which is one of the most popular theories about who and when the texts were assembled into the texts that later became known as the Bible.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
11-10-2012, 11:06 PM
Whoever it was, they have a lot to answer for!

11-10-2012, 11:46 PM
Who didn't?

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Misanthropik's post
12-10-2012, 07:09 AM
There are some people who believe that Priscilla wrote Hebrews.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
12-10-2012, 07:19 AM
If you look hard enough, you'll probably find people who think the bible was written by aliens or an advanced civilisation or something equally silly, KC.

As for the question, I think the documentary hypothesis (is that it?) may shed some light on who wrote the damn thing.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
12-10-2012, 07:54 AM
(12-10-2012 07:19 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  If you look hard enough, you'll probably find people who think the bible was written by aliens or an advanced civilisation or something equally silly, KC.

As for the question, I think the documentary hypothesis (is that it?) may shed some light on who wrote the damn thing.

I was just saying that there are Christian scholars that believe a female could have authored one of the books. Not really silly, so I'm confused about your response.

[Image: vjp09.gif]