12-08-2015, 08:46 PM
RE: Who wrote the gospels?
I didn't mean to start a fight.

Sapere aude
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-08-2015, 09:47 PM
(12-08-2015 08:46 PM)f stop Wrote:  I didn't mean to start a fight.

It's okay. Many of us fight all the time on this forum. We bash each other over the head one day, and then laugh with each other the next.

We just like to argue, is all.

Big Grin

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
13-08-2015, 12:54 AM
(12-08-2015 09:47 PM)Free Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 08:46 PM)f stop Wrote:  I didn't mean to start a fight.

It's okay. Many of us fight all the time on this forum. We bash each other over the head one day, and then laugh with each other the next.

Big Grin

The disagreements here are nice compared to those over at the atheist group on usenet. This had been a very informative thread and a keeper. Thanks F stop for asking this.
13-08-2015, 09:03 AM
(13-08-2015 12:54 AM)MattB Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 09:47 PM)Free Wrote:  It's okay. Many of us fight all the time on this forum. We bash each other over the head one day, and then laugh with each other the next.

Big Grin

The disagreements here are nice compared to those over at the atheist group on usenet. This had been a very informative thread and a keeper. Thanks F stop for asking this.

Not all atheists subscribe to this ridiculous Jesus Mythicism movement. I view that movement in the exact same light that I view any religious belief system; it's just another belief system poorly designed to explain the history of Christianity and Jesus of Nazareth.

It has absolutely no evidence whatsoever to support itself. It bases it's arguments on improbable and virtually impossible explanations of what is deemed to be the evidence supplied by qualified and respected historians.

Being a historian, I defend the history of the Christian religion against Jesus Mythicists in the exact same manner evolutionists defend Darwinism against the young-earther religionists, because Jesus Mythicism employs the exact same logical fallacies as theism does. I defend it in the same way as cosmologists defend the origins of the universe against creationists.

Jesus Mythicism is a logically fallacious position to hold, and anyone who supports it can easily be compared to any fucking theist.

Drinking Beverage

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
28-08-2015, 01:10 PM
(07-08-2015 02:12 PM)f stop Wrote:  I'm in a debate where I anticipate that I will soon have to make the claim that the gospels were not written by the disciples Matthew, Mark, Luke and John. That, in fact, early copies of the gospels do not have an author credit. Am I correct and, if so, how can I back that up?

Barth Erhmans books are amazing on this topic. Now having said that I don't personally know any theists who take the time to read an atheist book, but it might help you.
[+] 2 users Like highlyclassified's post
03-09-2015, 01:50 PM
I can not tell a lie.

T'was I.

What do you mean Life is short. It's the longest thing you're going to do.
03-09-2015, 02:16 PM
(12-08-2015 07:40 PM)Free Wrote:  
(12-08-2015 05:34 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  I don't care what f stop wrote or what Acharya said. I said in the sentence preceding the one you are trying to hang your hat on, that it was Irenaeus who was the first to name your stupid fucking gospels c 185. Obviously, you have trouble holding a thought from one sentence to the next. One might almost think you were Rick Perry!

Now, either produce evidence that Irenaeus was not the first to name these books or STFU. Because right now you are just making a fool out of yourself...which must be commonplace for you.

Here is your quote again:

Quote:Justin, writing to Emperor Antoninus Pius c 160, has never heard of any of these BOOKS.

You did not say, "Justin, writing to Emperor Antoninus Pius c 160, has never heard of any of these AUTHORS." In addition to this, you make the positive claim that Justin never heard of these books, and you do so just because he didn't name the authors of these Gospels?

How the fuck can you possibly make a positive claim that Justin never heard of these Gospels just because he never named the authors, and when he quotes verbatim from these same fucking Gospels?

Are you that fucking stupid?

Obviously, YOU have trouble holding a thought from one sentence to the next, since you speak about Irenaeus naming the AUTHORS in the preceding sentence, and then follow it up with saying Justin never even heard of the BOOKS ie Gospels at all, a wholly unsupported assertion since he does indeed mention the Gospel in general and fucking well quotes from it.

Can you not even tell the difference between AUTHORS and BOOKS, you stupid fucking mythicist retard? Nah, your fucking intention is obvious; you so totally intended to make f stop believe that nobody even heard of the gospels unto the late 2nd century.

And that's the reality here, you dumb fuck.

Drinking Beverage

Oh fuck off, you dipshit. Not my fault if you cannot understand the simplest nuance.

Really, how did you get through school being such a dumb fuck?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
03-09-2015, 04:27 PM
This site gives basic tenants on each of the main hypotheses that are in circulation today. I'm sure this isn't a complete picture though. You can side with what "most scholars" go with but then you may be setting yourself up for an appeal to authority.

As shitty as this sounds, your best bet may be to study each of the main theories and do a comparison of the source theories and all the objections to each to see which makes the most sense to you. Choose your own ending! Smile

The Synoptic Problem

**Crickets** -- God
[+] 1 user Likes Tonechaser77's post