Whom do you blame for the mess we are in and why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-01-2012, 01:47 PM
Whom do you blame for the mess we are in and why?
My top candidates are, in the following order:

1./ Scientists
2./ Journalists
3./ The Public

I know this is not the expected list, most people would start with politicians and businessmen, but I have a reason for this grading.

Scientists are number one because they have given the bastards the tools to threaten the world with: weapons of mass destruction: chemical, biological and, most of all: nuclear: thousands of nuclear warheads on hair-trigger alert aimed at each others’ cities, homes, children – it is unforgivable because they should know better – they have the logical minds to see the truth and they (with a very few exceptions) don’t care. Many of them invent, install and help justify destructive practices in both industry and big pharma.

Journalists are number two because they prostituted their profession to the exact opposite of what it is supposed to be: educate and inform the general public who had no higher education and wouldn’t know how to find the truth.

The Public is number three because they are too lazy, hypocritical and complacent to make an effort in order to find out the truth and stand up for basic decency, fairness and justice.

These three make the politicians and the businessmen, who are just opportunists riding on the gravy train, possible,

OK, I said my piece, so whom do you blame and why?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-01-2012, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 02:23 PM by Chas.)
RE: Whom do you blame for the mess we are in and why?
(27-01-2012 01:47 PM)Zat Wrote:  My top candidates are, in the following order:

1./ Scientists
2./ Journalists
3./ The Public

I know this is not the expected list, most people would start with politicians and businessmen, but I have a reason for this grading.

Scientists are number one because they have given the bastards the tools to threaten the world with: weapons of mass destruction: chemical, biological and, most of all: nuclear: thousands of nuclear warheads on hair-trigger alert aimed at each others’ cities, homes, children – it is unforgivable because they should know better – they have the logical minds to see the truth and they (with a very few exceptions) don’t care. Many of them invent, install and help justify destructive practices in both industry and big pharma.

Journalists are number two because they prostituted their profession to the exact opposite of what it is supposed to be: educate and inform the general public who had no higher education and wouldn’t know how to find the truth.

The Public is number three because they are too lazy, hypocritical and complacent to make an effort in order to find out the truth and stand up for basic decency, fairness and justice.

These three make the politicians and the businessmen, who are just opportunists riding on the gravy train, possible,

OK, I said my piece, so whom do you blame and why?

I largely disagree.
1 - public - Same reasons as you, but especially parents.
2 - government - greed, dishonesty, hidden agendas
3 - media - greed, dishonesty, hidden agendas

People don't take responsibility for their own lives.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-01-2012, 02:40 PM
(27-01-2012 02:09 PM)Chas Wrote:  People don't take responsibility for their own lives.

This. A thousand times over.

The public is what enables government, media, big pharma, factory farms, and all the other nasties to do what they do.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
27-01-2012, 02:50 PM
I highly disagree with #1. The fact that a 1 million megaton hydrogen bomb exists isn't an excuse for someone using it.

The education system is to blame for every single economic and social problem this country faces IMO. And I strongly believe that.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post
27-01-2012, 03:03 PM
(27-01-2012 02:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I highly disagree with #1. The fact that a 1 million megaton hydrogen bomb exists isn't an excuse for someone using it.

The education system is to blame for every single economic and social problem this country faces IMO. And I strongly believe that.

At the root of all of this is people teaching their children, people being involved in the schools, people electing their representatives, people being involved in their communities, people making their own decisions.

Thermonuclear weapons are a danger. The danger is people using them.

27-01-2012, 03:10 PM (This post was last modified: 27-01-2012 03:22 PM by Zat.)
In the "Ethics of Science" chapter of the book I am writing on Physics, I wrote the following:

"One of these days we may look up at the sky and see the first alien star-ship visiting us from another civilization, from one of the galaxies of our Universe. One day we may pick up an intelligent message from outer space, just as Carl Sagan imagined it in “Contact”. One day we may even invent our own inter-galactic space vehicle and go for a look.

On the other hand, one day we may look up at our sky and see a mushroom-shaped cloud, for a fraction of a second, before we lose our eyes and our lives.

Which of the two alternate futures awaits us depends, to a large degree, on the scientists themselves. Not just on the scientific breakthroughs they will provide, leading us to a possible glorious future but, more importantly, on the ethical stand they will take when being bribed or coerced by madmen to give them weapons of mass destruction. Without the greatest brains of the twentieth century (Bohr, Oppenheimer, Feynman, Teller, etc) these madmen wood be more or less harmless fools, messing up everything they touch, but not really threatening all of humanity and every living species on the planet with total annihilation. It was scientists who gave them the tool to do that."

Look at the big picture guys: all of humanity, all of the planet.
27-01-2012, 03:19 PM
4. The priests - all religious propagandists, past and present.
They dupe the ignorant and perpetuate ignorance. They encourage the powerful to subjugate the weak and browbeat the weak into subservience. They feed the narrow, xenophobic self-interest of believers to spread bigotry and hate.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
[+] 1 user Likes Peterkin's post
27-01-2012, 03:24 PM
(27-01-2012 03:10 PM)Zat Wrote:  In the "Ethics of Science" chapter of the book I am writing on Physics, I wrote the following:

"One of these days we may look up at the sky and see the first alien star-ship visiting us from another civilization, from one of the galaxies of our Universe. One day we may pick up an intelligent message from outer space, just as Carl Sagan imagined it in “Contact”. One day we may even invent our own inter-galactic space vehicle and go for a look.

On the other hand, one day we may look up at our sky and see a mushroom-shaped cloud, for a fraction of a second, before we lose our eyes and our lives.

Which of the two alternate futures awaits us depends, to a large degree, on the scientists themselves. Not just on the scientific breakthroughs they will provide, leading us to a possible glorious future but, more importantly, on the ethical stand they will take when being bribed or coerced by madmen to give them weapons of mass destruction. Without the greatest brains of the twentieth century (Einstein, Bohr, Oppenheimer, Feynman, Teller, etc) these madmen wood be more or less harmless fools, messing up everything they touch, but not really threatening all of humanity and every living species on the planet with total annihilation. It was scientists who gave them the tool to do that."

Look at the big picture guys: all of humanity, all of the planet.

It was these scientists who provided the tool to end the Second World War with less loss of life than without that tool.

Human curiosity will lead to all the possible technologies. It is up to us to use them wisely. Blaming science for existing is to shirk one's own responsibility.

[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
27-01-2012, 03:26 PM
(27-01-2012 03:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Blaming science for existing is to shirk one's own responsibility.

Is that what I did? Huh

PS. The 'Like" was an accident. I meant to click on Edit! Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Zat's post
27-01-2012, 03:30 PM
(27-01-2012 03:03 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-01-2012 02:50 PM)germanyt Wrote:  I highly disagree with #1. The fact that a 1 million megaton hydrogen bomb exists isn't an excuse for someone using it.

At the root of all of this is people teaching their children, people being involved in the schools, people electing their representatives, people being involved in their communities, people making their own decisions.

Thermonuclear weapons are a danger. The danger is people using them.

Guns don't kill people. People kill people. But I agree that people, especially the parents are not involved enough in their kids lives and educations. If they were maybe the school systems wouldn't suck so bad.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes germanyt's post