Whoooooaaaaahhhh Woooahhhooouuuoooaaahhh Oooooah

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-08-2016, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2016 09:09 PM by cactus.)
Whoooooaaaaahhhh Woooahhhooouuuoooaaahhh Oooooah
Is anybody else annoyed by the "epic whoa" trope in modern (and by modern I mean like in the past 5 years or so) radio pop?
It's usually accompanied by a trumpet, bassy synth beat, or jump cut video footage of people jumping off of tall things.

I always notice it when I hear a song like this at a shopping mall or wherever "trendy hip teen music" plays, and I think to myself "uh ohhhhwoahwoah, it's one of those songs again." I then casually slow down my walking pace so it's deliberately not in step with the beat of the song.

I haven't ascertained the primary vector of this very specific strain of the contagion, but Imagine Dragons seems to be a likely candidate for subject zero. Further research is needed. Consider

Not every song in this video is an example of this particular style of "epic whoah syndrome" but most of them are:

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes cactus's post
02-08-2016, 05:41 PM
RE: Whoooooaaaaahhhh Woooahhhooouuuoooaaahhh Oooooah
possibly a lack of consonants? I go with the letter theory. Real lyrics reuire thought and letters and words and things. Ideas, Difficult stuff like that.
02-08-2016, 05:44 PM
This type of lazy songwriting has been going on for a long time.
02-08-2016, 05:53 PM
Have you never listened to Sweet Child O' Mine by Guns N' Roses? Woah oh oh is literally part of the chorus lol

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
02-08-2016, 06:05 PM
When I saw the thread title, I thought for sure you were talking about this song. Big Grin

And for some reason, this subject makes me think of this song... Hobo Tongue

02-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Sweet Child O Mine is a little different in that it's a falsetto whoooooaaaaaaah, not a chorus of people chanting "whooo oooo oooouuuoooooOOOOahhhhh! *blaring trumpet solo* *slap knee* *clap clap* *xylophone diddlydee*" I'm referring to a very specific phenomenon, and "Sweet Child" ain't it Tongue
Certainly a precursor, though, since everything is a remix of every other song we've ever heard. lol

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
02-08-2016, 07:49 PM
Doo doo doo, da da d a da da...

Worked for the Police. Smile

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
02-08-2016, 07:51 PM
(02-08-2016 06:05 PM)Escape Artist Wrote:  When I saw the thread title, I thought for sure you were talking about this song. Big Grin

And for some reason, this subject makes me think of this song... Hobo Tongue

Too funny, I immediate thought of this one.

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
[+] 1 user Likes Smercury44's post
02-08-2016, 08:13 PM
Yup, you're the second person I've seen notice it, I hear it all the time in commercials, like it's been standardized or something. Why's it so popular?

02-08-2016, 08:25 PM
One of my least liked bands ever.