Whooping cough.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-08-2017, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 28-08-2017 11:23 AM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
Whooping cough.
So, I have this. I'm on the tail end of it.

In the province I live in there was an outbreak a couple months ago. "Low immunization community". Oh, anti vaccinators. Luckily, I am not an infant or low immunity individual and I'll get though this. Despite this, I can't believe how difficult my life has been, how annoying this illness has been and how it's (in a sense) stolen my life experience for the summer of 2017. I can't imagine what it is like for people who are truly compromised from the grossness of whopping cough.

This is the symptom description of WC:

runny nose.
sneezing.
mild cough.
low-grade fever.

Doesn't seem so bad. Sounds like every other cold or whatever. Well, mild cough is an understatement of the year though.

What it doesn't explain is the fucking panic, non breathing, painful inhalation one tries to take after coughing that creates the whopping sound. No wonder they created a vaccination. No one creates a vaccination for a 'mild cough'. lol. I panic if my inhaler is not next to me. I honestly thought I would never take another breath some of these moments. This is two months of shit I'm still dealing with. I sleep sitting up. I can't eat or drink certain foods that trigger coughs. I stayed in bed for nearly a week part way through. A two week cold is nothing on this.

I was vaccinated as a child. I wish I took my booster.

Anyone else catch an illness that now has a vaccine, or they could have used the booster? What was your experience?

I can't wait to run and breath and eat and sleep (and other stuff) like a normal person. Such luxury.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-08-2017, 01:56 AM
RE: Whopping cough.
Side note: I think you mean "Whooping Cough", as Whopping means "big", like "the whopper" from burger king. Incidently, calling somebody a whopper is an insult here in the UK haha.

Seriously though, sucks to have that, my daughter had it on/off for AGES and ended up having to have an inhaler to help her breath properly at times. She's good now like, but it sucks a bit.

Hope all is well and you power through Smile

Quote:Son of an owl!
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
22-08-2017, 02:02 AM
(22-08-2017 01:56 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Side note: I think you mean "Whooping Cough", as Whopping means "big", like "the whopper" from burger king. Incidently, calling somebody a whopper is an insult here in the UK haha.

Seriously though, sucks to have that, my daughter had it on/off for AGES and ended up having to have an inhaler to help her breath properly at times. She's good now like, but it sucks a bit.

Hope all is well and you power through Smile

You're totally right with the spelling. I have diagnosed verbal and written dyslexia, and it's getting hella bad as I age (at least I think it's the aging). I used to pride myself in being diligent in its management, but my attitude is changing lately.

I was wondering about long term affects. You're poor daughter. My doctor told me for the next year or so, anytime I get sick the symptoms will reappear. Ugh.

Thanks for the well wish.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
22-08-2017, 02:30 AM
That sounds horrible. Glad you're getting over it though Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
22-08-2017, 03:03 AM
Quote:You're totally right with the spelling. I have diagnosed verbal and written dyslexia, and it's getting hella bad as I age (at least I think it's the aging). I used to pride myself in being diligent in its management, but my attitude is changing lately.

I was wondering about long term affects. You're poor daughter. My doctor told me for the next year or so, anytime I get sick the symptoms will reappear. Ugh.

Thanks for the well wish.

AH man, now I'm a right Whopper for pointing that out haha. I'm right there with you though, dyslexic myself and try my best with spelling/reading/writing. Lately it's been dropping off a bit, but it hasn't stopped us yet Smile

She's fine these days, no longer needs the inhaler, but as a little kiddo it wasn't cool, plus the coughing would make her puke sometimes, although it's in the distant past now Smile

Quote:Son of an owl!
22-08-2017, 07:09 AM
I had whooping cough as an infant. My crib was in my parent's bedroom, and one night mom woke up and didn't hear me breathing. Woke up dad, and he didn't know what to do, I was all blue. So he grabbed me by the legs and started swinging me around. And I screamed. Or so went the story.

I have had issues with my lungs ever since, and they may well be the end of me some day. I know your torture very well. Just hang in there, it shall pass. Heart

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
22-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Several years back during an ER clinical, there was one kid that came in that probably had this--he was whooping like mad and turning colors. Poor, poor kid. The doctor was pretty miffed the parents had waited a long time before seeking treatment.

Sorry you're having to endure this. Hopefully it'll be over soon!

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
22-08-2017, 09:11 AM
In the US they strongly push that grandparents and others to be around infants get a booster. Apparently there are a lot of "carriers" who don't realize it. So it's especially important for adults to get a booster if the child is in any way immuno-compromised. It is also added to the tetanus shot here too, so whenever an adult gets that (which is generally going to be more likely) they get a shot of whooping cough booster too. So my husband had his a year or two before the grandkid was born, because he needed/got a tetanus shot. I had mine while my kid was pregnant.

I can't imagine what it has been like for you. I've had pneumonia as an adult and it was bad enough. Whooping cough? That's scary. I hope everyone around you has had a booster now?

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
[+] 1 user Likes outtathereligioncloset's post
23-08-2017, 05:03 AM
Hope you feel better soon!
25-08-2017, 01:24 AM
(23-08-2017 05:03 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Hope you feel better soon!
LadyJane,

+1 from me! Thumbsup

D.