Whooping cough.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-08-2017, 05:13 AM
RE: Whopping cough.
Hope you get this thing kicked soon!

I recently noticed ads on TV about getting Whooping Cough vaccines and boosters so it must be becoming an issue again. Undecided

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-08-2017, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I'm doing better. I have the coughing attacks about three-four times a day still, but I at least feel normal in between. I was able to go on a hike yesterday, my first real physical activity all summer. It was amazing and felt really good. It's nice to have relief in between the coughs and I am getting better by the day.

I'm generally a healthy individual who loves physical activity, I can't imagine someone who has compromised immunity to deal with this and the complications that could come up. It sounds funny to say that something that is a need, breathing, is a true privilege, but it honestly is. I feel bad for people who struggle with their lungs (ex asthma), it feels so good to breath deep. I can't wait to build up my lung capacity again.
[+] 3 users Like LadyJane's post
28-08-2017, 09:20 AM
MD here, two notes for everyone:
- Check before traveling if the target country has a pertussis (whooping cough) outbreak and if it does, get a booster vaccine if you haven't received one in the last 10 years. The vaccine that contains immunization against pertussis is called DPT (or the newer one DTaP or TDaP since 2005) and the booster shot is either ADACEL or BOOSTRIX. Whooping cough is a very serious illness for older people, those with respiratory illnesses like asthma or COPD, pregnant women, and for children under 1 year old. Don't travel into a pertussis-outbreak area (see https://www.cdc.gov/pertussis/index.html) if you or one of your close contacts are one of the above!
- Symptoms regularly persist for up to 2 months (in some languages, it's known as "the 100-day cough"). If they persist for half a year or longer, you should get checked for other respiratory conditions (in most cases for younger people, asthma)

The end of the world only hurts those who have something to lose.
[+] 4 users Like Naridar's post
28-08-2017, 11:23 AM
RE: Whooping cough.
I edited the post to change the spelling. Feel better ladyjane.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

29-08-2017, 01:45 AM
(26-08-2017 03:29 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  Thanks for the kind words, folks.

I'm doing better. I have the coughing attacks about three-four times a day still, but I at least feel normal in between. I was able to go on a hike yesterday, my first real physical activity all summer. It was amazing and felt really good. It's nice to have relief in between the coughs and I am getting better by the day.

I'm generally a healthy individual who loves physical activity, I can't imagine someone who has compromised immunity to deal with this and the complications that could come up. It sounds funny to say that something that is a need, breathing, is a true privilege, but it honestly is. I feel bad for people who struggle with their lungs (ex asthma), it feels so good to breath deep. I can't wait to build up my lung capacity again.

Sorry to hear that happened to you. Is there a reason you didn't get a DPT booster before you contracted this? An ounce of prevention.......

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
29-08-2017, 11:04 AM
Hoping you are doing better. This is a good reminder for adults to get their TDaP.

I cannot begin to imagine the fear in a parent's mind when their community was losing children everyday to this disease. Absolute panic, I expect. My father's only sister died around six years of age from diphtheria. I can only assume that those who fight against vaccines have no idea the number of children who died from such diseases.

As long as we are talking vaccines... Get your shingles vaccine (50 and up) and pneumonia vaccines.

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."
[+] 1 user Likes Jeanne's post
29-08-2017, 02:09 PM
I had it twice in a row when I was 6 or 7. It's bad... Hope you are better soon. I will hold back on praying for you.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
30-08-2017, 09:32 AM
(28-08-2017 11:23 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I edited the post to change the spelling. Feel better ladyjane.

Thanks MSBB. Smile I was kind of enjoying my slip up because I'm a little bit embracing my dyslexia authentically lately, I spent years feeling shame for my slip ups and that's just exhausting. But for the twitchy OCD types, it was probably pretty painful since I posted this to have this come across their screen everyday, so they're probably thankful now. Ha ha. Laugh out load SORRY OCD TYPES.

(29-08-2017 01:45 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Sorry to hear that happened to you. Is there a reason you didn't get a DPT booster before you contracted this? An ounce of prevention.......

Thank you.
I didn't know about the outbreak, I caught this weeks after the outbreak but I was so busy with life that I only learnt of it after. I didn't know people should be getting boosters. I had just gone to a travel clinic because I was looking at going to Indonesia and they said I was all up to date. I guess I didn't see that I needed to prevent this because it never entered my radar. Dang, would have saved some grief.
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
30-08-2017, 10:32 AM
(30-08-2017 09:32 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  
(28-08-2017 11:23 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I edited the post to change the spelling. Feel better ladyjane.

Thanks MSBB. Smile I was kind of enjoying my slip up because I'm a little bit embracing my dyslexia authentically lately, I spent years feeling shame for my slip ups and that's just exhausting. But for the twitchy OCD types, it was probably pretty painful since I posted this to have this come across their screen everyday, so they're probably thankful now. Ha ha. Laugh out load SORRY OCD TYPES.

(29-08-2017 01:45 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  Sorry to hear that happened to you. Is there a reason you didn't get a DPT booster before you contracted this? An ounce of prevention.......

Thank you.
I didn't know about the outbreak, I caught this weeks after the outbreak but I was so busy with life that I only learnt of it after. I didn't know people should be getting boosters. I had just gone to a travel clinic because I was looking at going to Indonesia and they said I was all up to date. I guess I didn't see that I needed to prevent this because it never entered my radar. Dang, would have saved some grief.

Whopping cough isn't all that bad of a description....Drinking Beverage

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post