Whoops. I "accidentally" banned FZUMedia. My bad.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-12-2012, 07:13 AM
RE: Whoops. I "accidentally" banned FZUMedia. My bad.
(31-12-2012 07:10 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(31-12-2012 07:00 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  It's not, actually. I've been saying that a person who continuously harms others with their speech should have that freedom taken from them. Go back and read my posts from the begining.

You basically stated that people should have conditional free-speech (based on the condition that they don't say anything with negative consequences). If it's conditional then how exactly is it free?
By definition, I suppose it's not. And if you'll refer to the first post I made in this thread, you'll see my dismantling of the concept of total freedom. In keeping with those views on freedom, I've not proposed it be enacted. On the contrary, I've simply advocated for limited freedoms. Which is why I'm ok with the guy being banned for some of the things he's said and done.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
31-12-2012, 07:15 AM
(31-12-2012 07:13 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  By definition, I suppose it's not. And if you'll refer to the first post I made in this thread, you'll see my dismantling of the concept of total freedom. In keeping with those views on freedom, I've not proposed it be enacted. On the contrary, I've simply advocated for limited freedoms. Which is why I'm ok with the guy being banned.

This place was founded on the concept of near-total free speech (excluding legal issues). That is what this place has always been about.

How can you square that with the banning?

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
31-12-2012, 07:20 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2012 07:25 AM by Misanthropik.)
(31-12-2012 07:15 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(31-12-2012 07:13 AM)Misanthropik Wrote:  By definition, I suppose it's not. And if you'll refer to the first post I made in this thread, you'll see my dismantling of the concept of total freedom. In keeping with those views on freedom, I've not proposed it be enacted. On the contrary, I've simply advocated for limited freedoms. Which is why I'm ok with the guy being banned.

This place was founded on the concept of near-total free speech (excluding legal issues). That is what this place has always been about.

How can you square that with the banning?
I don't, because I disagree with it.

To clarify: I believe people should be free to say as they wish. Sure, up to and including harmful things. But I disagree that they should be allowed (i.e., by mods or by a set of established guidelines) to continue to do so once it has been shown that they are causing undue harm to others. That is what this issue comes down to (or, at least, began with when I spoke up). A dickhead caused a continuous issue here on the forums. He did so intentionally and ignored requests to cease. At that point, I believe his banning was justified - regardless of whether or not it fit in to the official regulations. That has been and cotinues to be my argument.

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
31-12-2012, 07:24 AM
(31-12-2012 06:59 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(31-12-2012 06:58 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Yes he should have. He threatened members.

Not with physical violence.
Are you serious?

I don't talk gay, I don't walk gay, it's like people don't even know I'm gay unless I'm blowing them.
[Image: 10h27hu.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
31-12-2012, 07:26 AM
(31-12-2012 07:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Are you serious?

If he has it hasn't been brought to my attention, nor posted in the FMT section.

Lets see these posts then.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
31-12-2012, 07:33 AM
(31-12-2012 07:26 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  
(31-12-2012 07:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Are you serious?

If he has it hasn't been brought to my attention, nor posted in the FMT section.

Lets see these posts then.
His point is not that threats of physical violence have been made. That's not what he's saying. He's acknowledging (through implication) that narrowing it down to threats of physical violence is ridiculous. Whether FZU threatened with violence or simply harassed by saying "I love ice cream!"; he caused undue upset and discomfort to another member, who's done nothing to warrent it. This was a transgression, and in this particular case, was worthy of a ban.

(This has simply been my interpretation, based on my OWN reaction to your comment about physical violence. If I'm incorrect, Muffs should indeed correct me)

31-12-2012, 08:02 AM (This post was last modified: 31-12-2012 08:25 AM by Free Thought.)

It almost seems like this shit FZU has brought this place to it's proverbial knees, I mean look at all the bitching and indecision going around, not to mention the few members packing up their bags and pissing off.

I am very, very disappoint in all of you.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
[+] 2 users Like Free Thought's post
31-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Reasons for banning

#1:

He threatened Anjele in a PRIVATE message. Not the same as spouting crap in public during a confrontation.

#2:

He tried to sell his services without sufficient seniority. $25 per signature.

#3:

The comment he made in Stark's goodbye thread: "I always win". Intent to cause a forum melt down and topple admin.

#4: The vast majority of the forum members felt aggravated enough to complain and to rep him negatively, and in my book, that is a vote. All you need to do is read the rep reasons and you know he didn't get repped for being an airhead or holding controversial opinions.

Free speech is extremely important, yes!!!!!

Whose free speech? There comes a time when free speech causes a conflict and you have to decide something or have a forum meltdown like we did. It always happens like that. One idiot, if left on the lose, can destroy any forum online. There are people making a sport of it.

For the sake of freedom of speech you sit back and let the place that does provide freedom of speech be destroyed.

Where is the logic of that?

Free speech needs to be protected or there will be no place for it at all.

But, that aside, there are 3 "rule appropriate" reasons for banning, so no one needs to get their panties all in a bunch because exceptions to the rules have been found to also apply.

I didn't call for banning, I called for more intelligent solutions. But I am certainly happy Buddy pulled the trigger.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 9 users Like Dom's post
31-12-2012, 08:23 AM
(31-12-2012 08:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  Reasons for banning

#1:

He threatened Anjele in a PRIVATE message. Not the same as spouting crap in public during a confrontation.

#2:

He tried to sell his services without sufficient seniority. $25 per signature.

#3:

The comment he made in Stark's goodbye thread: "I always win". Intent to cause a forum melt down and topple admin.

#4: The vast majority of the forum members felt aggravated enough to complain and to rep him negatively, and in my book, that is a vote. All you need to do is read the rep reasons and you know he didn't get repped for being an airhead or holding controversial opinions.

Free speech is extremely important, yes!!!!!

Whose free speech? There comes a time when free speech causes a conflict and you have to decide something or have a forum meltdown like we did. It always happens like that. One idiot, if left on the lose, can destroy any forum online. There are people making a sport of it.

For the sake of freedom of speech you sit back and let the place that does provide freedom of speech be destroyed.

Where is the logic of that?

Free speech needs to be protected or there will be no place for it at all.

But, that aside, there are 3 "rule appropriate" reasons for banning, so no one needs to get their panties all in a bunch because exceptions to the rules have been found to also apply.

I didn't call for banning, I called for more intelligent solutions. But I am certainly happy Buddy pulled the trigger.
[Image: tumblr_m6hb27tYlk1rwcc6bo1_400.gif]

31-12-2012, 08:34 AM
It also sucks to say but hate speech is also protected under free speech. You can't deny the KKK the right to exercise their opinions. But this ain't the courthouse steps. This is a private forum open to public registration. Protecting those that are already here isn't so much a concern of mine, sometimes growing thick skin and/or using the ignore function are necessities. My concern is any new members or potential members. No one contemplating joining is reading these threads and liking what they are seeing.

I have had a number of disagreements on the forum, but it is irrelevant. We disagree on some issues and agree on others. The way of life. People like FZU and Egor (in some threads) disagree just to push buttons. That's just annoying, even if on my ignore list because I still see the replies and growing threads I care nothing about after they drop in.

Is this place still a shithole run by a dumbass calvinist?
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Are all PC food containers banned or is it just for babies ? HU.Junyuan 2 63 19-04-2014 06:31 AM
Last Post: Cathym112
  Banned Richard Stuckmeyer 114 4,999 04-02-2013 08:36 PM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Threat to out me from FZUMedia via messages Anjele 268 8,250 29-12-2012 03:42 PM
Last Post: Momsurroundedbyboys
  Anal sex is banned in USA ! Srsly?! Jedah 9 1,526 08-06-2012 11:47 AM
Last Post: Stark Raving
  Kate Upton dance banned from YouTube. Really? germanyt 14 969 04-05-2012 10:50 PM
Last Post: GirlyMan