Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 03:57 PM
Why?
1. You don’t like the 10 commandments

2. You don’t believe Jesus is the God of the Old Testament

3. You believe the bible is full of errors and contradictions

4. You went to church and saw the hypocrisy of the pastors, priests and their ridiculous traditions

5. You believe evidence is against the existence of a supreme being

6. You see the suffering and the human condition in this world and you therefore don’t understand how a Merciful God could allow this

7. Something else

Pure Truth : http://shinkairi.blogspot.com/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 04:01 PM
RE: Why?
[Image: J3q3uxj.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 15 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-05-2015, 04:28 PM
Assuming the question is "Why are you an atheist?" and the items listed are the things you think might be reasons for it....

(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  1. You don’t like the 10 commandments

Liking or not liking them is irrelevant. I'm not a non-believer because I don't like the idea of a god or living by rules handed down by a god or anything along those lines. I don't believe because the evidence presented to me so far doesn't warrant accepting the claim that there is a god.

Quote:2. You don’t believe Jesus is the God of the Old Testament

I don't accept the claim that any god exists so there's nothing for Jesus to be. I don't know that Jesus even existed. If he did, then it seems most reasonable to me that the relationship between the historical Jesus and the character in the bible is about the same as that between the historical Abraham Lincoln and the character in the movie "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Slayer".

Quote:3. You believe the bible is full of errors and contradictions

What is most important is that it does not demonstrate any knowledge or wisdom that I wouldn't expect from the times and places it was written. As such, it offers no evidence that a god actually exists.

Quote:4. You went to church and saw the hypocrisy of the pastors, priests and their ridiculous traditions

They are hard to miss but, like the commandments, that is largely irrelevant to the question of whether or not a god exists.

Quote:5. You believe evidence is against the existence of a supreme being

Close, but it'd be more accurate to say that there is insufficient evidence that supports the claim of the existence of a supreme being.

Quote:6. You see the suffering and the human condition in this world and you therefore don’t understand how a Merciful God could allow this

Again, that misses the point. It assumes not only a god, but one that is defined as being merciful. Without sufficient evidence for any god at all it seems premature to ascribe qualities to one.

Quote:7. Something else

It is very simple: when there is sufficient evidence to warrant belief I will believe it. Until then, not so much.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 8 users Like unfogged's post
04-05-2015, 04:30 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 04:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
8. Any promise of a postmortem preservation of identity is utter and complete bullshit childish nonsense. Dualism is untenable. Don't mean I ain't Christian though. Just means I tell you this, no eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn.

I'll tell you this...
No eternal reward will forgive us now
For wasting the dawn.

Back in those days everything was simpler and more confused
One summer night, going to the pier
I ran into two young girls
The blonde one was called Freedom
The dark one, Enterprise
We talked and they told me this story
Now listen to this...
I'll tell you about Texas radio and the big beat
Soft driven, slow and mad
Like some new language
Reaching your head with the cold, sudden fury of a divine messenger
Let me tell you about heartache and the loss of god
Wandering, wandering in hopless night
Out here in the perimeter there are no stars

Out here we is stoned
Immaculate.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 4 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-05-2015, 04:35 PM
(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  6. You see the suffering and the human condition in this world and you therefore don’t understand how a Merciful God could allow this

The problem of evil or suffering is explained far better by an indifferent universe with no appeal to a alleged benevolent deity in control- shit happens.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
04-05-2015, 04:44 PM
(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  1. You don’t like the 10 commandments

2. You don’t believe Jesus is the God of the Old Testament

3. You believe the bible is full of errors and contradictions

4. You went to church and saw the hypocrisy of the pastors, priests and their ridiculous traditions

5. You believe evidence is against the existence of a supreme being

6. You see the suffering and the human condition in this world and you therefore don’t understand how a Merciful God could allow this

7. Something else

1. The ten commandments don't pass the rational test of the basis of a giving, caring god....dont covet thy neighbor is on there, but lets not talk about murder, rape, incest, and slavery. Sounds like something a man would make up...oh wait....

2. the Jesus-hero-god construct was written based on the OT, in a lame attempt to make it appear he was the messiah.

The Bible claims that Jesus made the following comment:

Matthew 16:28

“Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Jesus also advised against going to court over someone who steals something and also told people not to store up stocks or reserves for the future. Clearly, he thought the end was very near.

Likewise, Paul advised followers not to marry and that the end time was near. In this scripture he obviously believes that some of the people he is talking to will still be alive at the second coming.

I Thessalonians 4: 16-18

“For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet of God; and the dead in Christ shall rise first. Then we who are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and thus we shall always be with the Lord. Therefore comfort one another with these words.”

The obvious fact is that the second coming was not forthcoming at that time, or even close to being near. The 2000-year delay is a strong piece of evidence that Christianity is a failed religion.

The following quote from Stephen L. Harris, Professor Emeritus of Humanities and Religious Studies at California State University- Sacramento, completes this point with a devastating argument. Remember that Jesus was a Jew who had no intention to deviate from the Hebrew scriptures:

“Jesus did not accomplish what Israel’s prophets said the Messiah was commissioned to do: He did not deliver the covenant people from their Gentile enemies, reassemble those scattered in the Diaspora, restore the Davidic kingdom, or establish universal peace (cf.Isa. 9:6–7; 11:7–12:16, etc.). Instead of freeing Jews from oppressors and thereby fulfilling God’s ancient promises—for land, nationhood, kingship, and blessing—Jesus died a “shameful” death, defeated by the very political powers the Messiah was prophesied to overcome. Indeed, the Hebrew prophets did not foresee that Israel’s savior would be executed as a common criminal by Gentiles, making Jesus’ crucifixion a “stumbling block” to scripturally literate Jews. (1 Cor.1:23)”

Jesus’ immediate followers, mostly his 12 disciples, probably did not immediately identify this failure, because after Jesus’ body was likely stolen and concealed, a rumor spread that Jesus had been resurrected from the dead. A sense of optimism overcame their grief about his execution and renewed some hope that he was a true messiah. If they had known then that there was to be no return in the near or long-term future, they likely would have abandoned any further activity. Despite this resurgence in their faith, they never agreed with Paul’s concept of Jesus as being divine. Anything written in the Bible to suggest that they did is probably a result of later editing by some of Paul’s followers. Such a belief would have been an exceptional departure from the Jewish faith.

3. The bible is full of errors, contradictions, pseudepigrapha, interpolations, and the three Fs of christianity: Fiction, Forgery, and Fantasy.

4. Yes, yes, and yes Thumbsup

5. Yes!

6. Yes, millions of "his chosen people" were marched into the ovens of nazi Germany while this mythical god had his thumb shoved up his ass....

7. ???

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
04-05-2015, 04:45 PM
The correct answer is 42

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
04-05-2015, 04:52 PM
(04-05-2015 04:45 PM)onlinebiker Wrote:  The correct answer is 42

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
04-05-2015, 04:56 PM
Why?

Don't panic.
[+] 4 users Like KUSA's post
04-05-2015, 04:58 PM
(04-05-2015 04:56 PM)KUSA Wrote:  

Don't panic.

Grab your towel.

[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post