Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 03:43 PM
RE: Why?
(07-05-2015 03:35 PM)Leo Wrote:  Holy shit and 2 trolls aren't enough ? Call of the wild and that Q dude isn't enough? The gods of atheism are playing a huge joke on us. Facepalm

Remember the FSM works in mysterious ways Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-05-2015, 04:51 PM
RE: Why?
(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  1. You don’t like the 10 commandments

About half of them are good, the other half are arguable in terms of their necessity. If you don't believe in God, they're useless. If you do, I'd still argue they're useless. Really, why does God demand your praise and worship?

(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  2. You don’t believe Jesus is the God of the Old Testament

Sure he's the God of the Old Testament. Oh, wait, I don't even believe in the God of the Old Testament. So what's 0+0?

The historicity of Jesus is already in question. But even if he was a real person in flesh, him being the God of the OT could simply mean he was trying to fulfill old prophecies, or the gospels were written in a way to embellish and make him fulfill old prophecies.

In any case, if he actually IS the God of the OT, then my suggestion is:

hide yo kids,
hide yo wife.

(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  3. You believe the bible is full of errors and contradictions

It is, but I also recognize that apologists have weaseled their way out of them. My concern about the Bible is not the errors and contradictions, but the content of its teachings. Have you read Numbers? All of it? I was an atheist before I started reading the Bible straight through. But I wasn't actually bothered by God's apparent state of psychosis until reading the "Pentateuch".

Even if the Bible had no contradictions, and displayed a truly loving God, I'm still left with the question: why? Why believe?

(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  4. You went to church and saw the hypocrisy of the pastors, priests and their ridiculous traditions

I did at some places. And didn't at others. The most recent churches I attended before becoming an atheist were very good churches, with good people. Nice. Loving. Nonjudgemental. So that's not why I'm an atheist.

(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  5. You believe evidence is against the existence of a supreme being

Let me give you an example. When I was a little kid, I went to a planetarium at a museum somewhere (I don't remember). What I remember was that the program taught us about early, EARLY creation stories. One of the stories I remember was that one Odin and a couple other gods, took the brains of some being and scattered them all over the place, and THAT, children, is how we get clouds.

We now know that's not what clouds are. The point is that the more science explains things, the more that gods or God becomes less and less a valid explanation. The issue is not the evidence against God, the issue is the evidence against the necessity of God. Do we actually need him? Science has enough explanations to make us at least say a very honest answer: I don't know. And if we don't know, why not stick with what we do know?

(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  6. You see the suffering and the human condition in this world and you therefore don’t understand how a Merciful God could allow this

No, I know religion has dealt with this and dealt with this. Pretty much every sermon has to do with believing in God in a world of tragedy. That does not effect my atheism positively or negatively. I do feel the explanations religions give are problematic. But the tragic world is not what's turned me against God.

(04-05-2015 03:57 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  7. Something else

Your title. It's "why?" Why is God the explanation for the things that happen? Why does God demand our worship and praise? Snowflakes have wonderful designs. Christians look at them and go, "That's God. God did that." Why? Why can't you just say, "I don't know what makes them look like that. Why don't we wait and see? Why don't we study it a little more? Tests. Experiments. And if they reveal nothing. Then I guess we're at square one. We don't know." We now know why snowflakes look the way they do, but that's beside the point. Actually it is the point: through science we've found that snowflakes are a process that doesn't have the words "and God made it so" in it.

A good atheist mantra to know is: if you can't show it, you don't know it. You can't show me God, then you don't know he's there. And there's nothing wrong with admitting that you don't know. Why? Because I'm doing it: I don't know.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WalkingSnake's post