Poll: Why are you an atheist?
This poll is closed.
You don’t like the 10 commandments 0% 0 0%
You don’t believe Jesus is the God of the Old Testament 0% 0 0%
You believe the bible is full of errors and contradictions 0% 0 0%
You went to church and saw the hypocrisy of the pastors, priests and their ridiculous traditions 0% 0 0%
You believe evidence is against the existence of a supreme being 37.50% 9 37.50%
You see the suffering and the human condition in this world and you therefore don’t understand how a Merciful God could allow this 4.17% 1 4.17%
Something else 58.33% 14 58.33%
Total 24 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 06:53 PM
RE: Why?
(04-05-2015 06:51 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 06:33 PM)Anjele Wrote:  STFU you miserable, whiny old bastard.

You must just wait around for me to say something. Boring life!

Don't have to do much waiting...it's the only song you know.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 06:57 PM
Hey you two! Stop interrupting this vitally important thread! Angel

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2015, 06:59 PM
(04-05-2015 06:57 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hey you two! Stop interrupting this vitally important thread! Angel

Why?

Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-05-2015, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 07:09 PM by Anjele.)
(04-05-2015 06:57 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Hey you two! Stop interrupting this vitally important thread! Angel

It won't be important till Gwynnies makes an appearance. Tongue

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat

Are my Chakras on straight?
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-05-2015, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 07:19 PM by Reltzik.)
(04-05-2015 04:32 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  I have always wondered why it is that some people are atheists. I would very much like to know why. Where the reasons behind that decision come from. And what they are. And so I figured I would do a poll as my first post.

... why isn't "all of the above" a poll choice? Or you can use checkboxes instead of radiobuttons.

Also, in addition to "evidence against", I'd add "insufficient evidence for". I don't have strong evidence against Russel's Teapot, and that doesn't automatically mean I believe it.

Also, I can't bring myself to hate gays. Is this optional? If it isn't optional, how Christianity a religion of love? If it is optional, does that mean all the people persecuting gays in the name of Christ are doing so because of their own choice rather than because of the religion?

Also, if there's a single, knowable, objective truth that Christians are tapping into through revelation, the Bible, relationship with God, whatever, then wouldn't there be somewhat less than the current 40,000ish distinct denominations all disagreeing with each other about what that knowable, objective truth is?

Also.... hell, I'd be here all night if I kept going.

EDIT: In retrospect, the poll question is a bit imprecise? Is the OP asking why we are atheists, or asking why peanutbutter is 376% more awesome than vegemite? FIRE IN THE HOLE.
04-05-2015, 07:10 PM
(04-05-2015 06:53 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 06:51 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  You must just wait around for me to say something. Boring life!

Don't have to do much waiting...it's the only song you know.

CARE TO CITE INSTANCES OF YOUR CLAIM OVER THE PAST FEW MONTHS?
As Starkers put 'there are no right for members here' ... other than for the more special people.
04-05-2015, 07:13 PM
(04-05-2015 06:59 PM)Anjele Wrote:  

It won't be important till Gwynnies makes an appearance. Tongue

[Image: 4wpUqld.jpg]

Can't let an invitation go unanswered. Gwynnies from this morning. Heart

living word
[+] 3 users Like houseofcantor's post
04-05-2015, 08:51 PM
So Kagen, you've wondered why some people have rational minds and use critical thinking when they evaluate a claim.

You've wondered why these people value evidence and truth more that fantasy and lies.

You've wondered why we care if our beliefs are true or not.

You've wondered why we are more moral than a fictional god in a story book.

I hope we can help you gain a sense of rational thought in your own life and hopefully begin to use critical thinking.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
04-05-2015, 09:05 PM
(04-05-2015 04:32 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  I have always wondered why it is that some people are atheists. I would very much like to know why. Where the reasons behind that decision come from. And what they are. And so I figured I would do a poll as my first post.

There is not one reason why anyone would reasonably make a choice to abandon reason and accept any of the thousands of mythological systems that went into the "cooking up" of any of the belief systems. Not one. If you have a good reason why anyone would or should abandon reason, we would like to know what that is. The god of the OT (the 70th son of El Elyon...the Canaanite god of the armies), came straight out of Babylonian mythology. Why would any sane person give that god any credence ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
04-05-2015, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2015 09:09 PM by Astreja.)
Lack of evidence is My main reason for being an atheist.

However, I am an antitheist regarding Christianity. I see the Bible as archaic tripe, a mixture of faux history and extremely primitive morality, and Jesus as almost certainly mythical. Even if he existed as a regular human being, there's no fucking way that nonsense about coming back from the dead actually happened. It boggles the mind to think that there are otherwise sane adults with decent educations who believe such a thing.