Poll: Why are you an atheist?
This poll is closed.
You don’t like the 10 commandments 0% 0 0%
You don’t believe Jesus is the God of the Old Testament 0% 0 0%
You believe the bible is full of errors and contradictions 0% 0 0%
You went to church and saw the hypocrisy of the pastors, priests and their ridiculous traditions 0% 0 0%
You believe evidence is against the existence of a supreme being 37.50% 9 37.50%
You see the suffering and the human condition in this world and you therefore don’t understand how a Merciful God could allow this 4.17% 1 4.17%
Something else 58.33% 14 58.33%
Total 24 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 09:27 PM
RE: Why?
(04-05-2015 04:32 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  I have always wondered why it is that some people are atheists. I would very much like to know why. Where the reasons behind that decision come from. And what they are. And so I figured I would do a poll as my first post.

Burden of proof. Look it up, then ask your question.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2015, 09:27 PM
I've chosen 'other' as the reasons are multiple.
I was never a big believer. And a few years reading books and watching plenty of debates etc. I pretty much got to the 99% atheist point. There was one final tendril of god left trailing which was the irrational fear of "what if I'm wrong"

That was until one night, I was working away in the far sticks of the British countryside, when the guy I was working with got a call from his wife to say their 5yo sons routine visit to the optician had resulted to a dash to hospital after the optician spotted something amiss.
The hospital diagnosed him with an inoperable brain tumour and gave him months to live.

We were stuck in the hotel until the morning as it was in the middle of no-where with minimal transport links. So I sat with him through the night until he could arrange some transport to go and be with his son.

Watching another human crumble under the weight of despair and hopelessness is something I hope no one has to witness. It was shortly after that I cast off the final grip religion had on me.

I don't believe a god exists and even if he does, I want nothing to do with him if this is somehow part of his grand plan...

"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too"? - Douglas Adams Bechased
[+] 3 users Like LostLegend's post
04-05-2015, 09:51 PM
If someone told you that there was a fairy in their back pocket that was looking out for them, would you believe them?

If they told you that you just gotta have faith that the fairy in the back pocket was there, would you believe them?

If a lot of people believed in this fairy (i.E the argument from popularity fallacy) would you than believe them?

If they told you they feel in their "heart" and their emotions was their evidence for the fairy being there, would you believe them?

If they told you that a lot of people you can never meet were witnesses, would you believe them?

If he than showed you a book written by completely unknown people who hailed from one small region of the planet, back before science, reason, logic, reliable recorded history were non existent and violance and superstition and ignorance were at their highest. Would you believe them?

Would you believe them if most of those writters didn't even live at the same time or even meet each other?

Now, ask yourself. Wouldn't you be just the tiniest bit suspicious if they did everything in their power to make you believe that because you DON'T believe, you are going to suffer and burn and scream and cry and chock forever and ever until the end of time because you don't believe? Don't you think it is just a tiny bit suspicious that the only way to escape all that is to eat, sleep, live, do, and think in the exact manner they "tell" you to?

Don't you think its funny how nothing in the book happens today? Don't you find it suspicious that everyone today only has feelings or completely unconformable assertions that this fairy exists?

Don't you think its funny that the only reason any of these people believe including yourself is because you were told it as truth as a child? That your parents were told as a child and so on and all these ancient rules have been forcibly passed down all the way back until you reach the person whom invented it? Rules that restrict what we are even allowed to think and if we do not go to this church, pray in the exact manner you are told, give the church YOUR MONEY, and most of all, you are never,never,never,never,EVER allowed to even for a single instant....question anything? Especially the holy leader and the book he is forcing you to adhere to?

Don't you think all of that is just a little bit....suspicious?

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
[+] 4 users Like Shadow Fox's post
04-05-2015, 10:06 PM
All religious claims are either not evidently true, or evidently not true. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Kagen have you ever wondered why you are so gullible ?

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
04-05-2015, 10:16 PM
Very tempted to just say, meh I don't like the 10 commandments so that's my choiceEvil_monster

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-05-2015, 10:19 PM
(04-05-2015 10:16 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Very tempted to just say, meh I don't like the 10 commandments so that's my choiceEvil_monster

The Bill of Rights > The 10 Commandments

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
04-05-2015, 11:38 PM
(04-05-2015 04:32 PM)ii kagen ni shiro Wrote:  I have always wondered why it is that some people are atheists. I would very much like to know why. Where the reasons behind that decision come from. And what they are. And so I figured I would do a poll as my first post.

Believers have yet to show me why I should believe your faith is real. If they are going to tell me their deity exists, show me evidence. Otherwise, I will refute their unsubstantiated claims until they bring me tangible, scientific evidence. It's like if I approached you, told you there was an invisible dragon in my garage that was totally undetectable with any sensory input -- regardless of instrument. Of course you wouldn't believe me, you'd call me crazy. Well, now you know. Not as hate-filled as many people think, is it?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
04-05-2015, 11:51 PM
(04-05-2015 06:34 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 06:32 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I raised the issue simply to indicate why I did not vote.
Why not address the subject matter instead of sniping?

Because "Bait the Woof" is fun for the whole family! Tongue

It might be fun for some low lifes, more so when comments just come out of the blue.
Some pseudo prophets too: seem obsessed with this crass type of humour.......Rolleyes
05-05-2015, 01:35 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 01:45 AM by Szuchow.)
(04-05-2015 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  

Seriously, again? Same question, same answer: there is insufficient evidence for the existence of any gods.

Why is that so hard for you to understand?

Maybe because for believers god is axis of their existence and they simply can not grasp that others do not need faith in some kind of invisible friend?

As for being atheist there is no evidence of god exisitng. Also I outgrow fairy tales quite a while ago.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.