Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-01-2016, 08:14 PM
RE: Why?
Apparently it's because I touch myself at night.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
23-01-2016, 08:44 PM
(23-01-2016 07:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If mankind was created in God's image, it would rational to conclude that God is a sadistic bastard. If we accept that God is a sadistic bastard, then it would make sense for him to put us through this pointless gauntlet for his amusement.

.....Finally. Someone who gets it.
23-01-2016, 08:59 PM
"God requires mankind to obey and live a life of perpetual obedience" (Mattison 1).

This endless cycle of perpetual intellectual and spiritual slavery upon birth, where we continuously strive to bow and scrape in deference to our alleged creator’s self-centered will and ego, is hardly what a thinking person would presume a deity of such universe and life-creating power, would be so obsessed with. What kind of immature supreme being would create all of this, create life, destroy life, send part of his own “body” down in the form of a man through immaculate conception, so he can die on our behalf to satisfy God’s ego requirement for sacrifice. I don’t purport to understand the consciousness of this alleged magical creature, but it is hard to conceive such childish, disingenuous manipulation of life for the entertainment of itself. This dramatic, over thought, contrite, and anthropocentric theory must be the creation of man’s imagination. How could it be anything else?

Rolleyes

Works Cited:

Mattison, Mark. “The Meaning of the Atonement.” Mark Mattison. 1987. Web. Retrieved from http://www.auburn.edu/~allenkc/openhse/atonement.html

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
23-01-2016, 09:23 PM
(23-01-2016 08:44 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 07:33 PM)yakherder Wrote:  If mankind was created in God's image, it would rational to conclude that God is a sadistic bastard. If we accept that God is a sadistic bastard, then it would make sense for him to put us through this pointless gauntlet for his amusement.

.....Finally. Someone who gets it.

And yet, you believe in God. Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-01-2016, 10:16 PM
(23-01-2016 09:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 08:44 PM)Aliza Wrote:  .....Finally. Someone who gets it.

And yet, you believe in God. Consider

Yup!
23-01-2016, 10:30 PM
(23-01-2016 03:25 PM)dimaniac Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 03:17 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Why doesn't God make it obvious that he's the real deal
free will

Not quite.

You are saying that if we are aware of the existence of god then that knowledge would somehow inhibit our free will.

The vast, vast majority of humanity raises their children. Do the children have limited free will because they have direct knowledge of their parent's existence? Or isn't considered better for the parent to directly involve themselves in their children's lives?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
24-01-2016, 08:11 AM
(23-01-2016 10:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 09:23 PM)Chas Wrote:  And yet, you believe in God. Consider

Yup!

Which god? The asshole described in the Torah?

24-01-2016, 09:03 AM
(24-01-2016 08:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(23-01-2016 10:16 PM)Aliza Wrote:  Yup!

Which god? The asshole described in the Torah?

Rolleyes Yes, Chas. But when I read it, I get help from someone who knows the language better than I do and can help me with the explanations in the rabbinic writings. You're basically reading the cliff notes when you read the Torah alone, and according to Jewish tradition, this is the absolute wrong way to study Torah.

Christians place emphasis on the bible alone, and that's fine. That's their business. But just because a christisn says thats the right and proper way of doing things doesnt mean that the Jews do the same thing. The Torah simply doesn't provide the full picture and its not designed to do so.
24-01-2016, 09:13 AM
(24-01-2016 09:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 08:11 AM)Chas Wrote:  Which god? The asshole described in the Torah?

Rolleyes Yes, Chas. But when I read it, I get help from someone who knows the language better than I do and can help me with the explanations in the rabbinic writings. You're basically reading the cliff notes when you read the Torah alone, and according to Jewish tradition, this is the absolute wrong way to study Torah.

Christians place emphasis on the bible alone, and that's fine. That's their business. But just because a christisn says thats the right and proper way of doing things doesnt mean that the Jews do the same thing. The Torah simply doesn't provide the full picture and its not designed to do so.

There is nothing that explains away the actions of that asshole. You are fooling yourself.

24-01-2016, 09:15 AM
(24-01-2016 09:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(24-01-2016 09:03 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Rolleyes Yes, Chas. But when I read it, I get help from someone who knows the language better than I do and can help me with the explanations in the rabbinic writings. You're basically reading the cliff notes when you read the Torah alone, and according to Jewish tradition, this is the absolute wrong way to study Torah.

There is nothing that explains away the actions of that asshole. You are fooling yourself.

Noted. Thanks for the warning.