Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-01-2016, 07:46 AM
RE: Why?
(25-01-2016 07:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 06:25 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It doesn't look like a Picasso, more like a drunk monkey throwing poo.

I think life is so overbearingly rich, with a profound sense of order, and tragic beauty. As a work of art, there are no competitors. All great artist in comparison only attempt to imitate life.

You can perceive beauty in random, unguided circumstance and nature, no doubt.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-01-2016, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2016 08:54 AM by Tomasia.)
(25-01-2016 07:46 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 07:05 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think life is so overbearingly rich, with a profound sense of order, and tragic beauty. As a work of art, there are no competitors. All great artist in comparison only attempt to imitate life.

You can perceive beauty in random, unguided circumstance and nature, no doubt.

Perceive a profound degree of order and beauty, in what you refer to as resembling poo flung from monkeys?

I think of beauty of nature, of human life, is one that surpassed even the greatest works of art. Great art only attempts to imitate this.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-01-2016, 08:55 AM
(23-01-2016 03:17 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Why doesn't God just make Satan behave or just kill him?

Why doesn't God just skip the test on Earth and start us all of in Heaven if he loves us?

Why didn't he make us not sinners?

Why doesn't God make it obvious that he's the real deal always 'Where's Waldo-ing' us and shit?

These obviously obvious questions need straight forward answers from those who've come here to TTA to save our also not obvious souls!

Because God likes to play games Wink

[Image: hqdefault.jpg]

1 Like = 1 Prayer
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-01-2016, 09:14 AM
(23-01-2016 03:17 PM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  Why doesn't God just make Satan behave or just kill him?

Why doesn't God just skip the test on Earth and start us all of in Heaven if he loves us?

Why didn't he make us not sinners?

Why doesn't God make it obvious that he's the real deal always 'Where's Waldo-ing' us and shit?

Because he doesn't want robot friends, or some shit. Seriously, that's the answer I get almost every time if you drill down on any of those first three questions. We are allowed to literally rape each other so God can know if we "love" him by not raping people (and by swearing an oath of fealty to his son).

This could all be distilled down to "cuz he's a selfish narcissist".
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
25-01-2016, 09:39 AM
(25-01-2016 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 07:46 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  You can perceive beauty in random, unguided circumstance and nature, no doubt.

Perceive a profound degree of order and beauty, in what you refer to as resembling poo flung from monkeys?

I think of beauty of nature, of human life, is one that surpassed even the greatest works of art. Great art only attempts to imitate this.

All art only seeks to imitates life? Of fuck off. Do you use that bullshit to try and pick up chicks at museums and art galleries or something? How fucking pretentious. Dodgy

And I say that as an art major myself.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
25-01-2016, 09:42 AM
(25-01-2016 09:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perceive a profound degree of order and beauty, in what you refer to as resembling poo flung from monkeys?

All art only seeks to imitates life? Of fuck off. Do you use that bullshit to try and pick up chicks at museums and art galleries or something? How fucking pretentious. Dodgy

I said great art does, not all art. Like a great novel is one that often captures some of the deeper realities of human existence.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
25-01-2016, 09:44 AM
(25-01-2016 09:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 09:39 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  All art only seeks to imitates life? Of fuck off. Do you use that bullshit to try and pick up chicks at museums and art galleries or something? How fucking pretentious. Dodgy

I said great art does, not all art. Like a great novel is one that often captures some of the deeper realities of human existence.

"great art" Facepalm

i.e. The stuff people like to be pretentious about. You sound like Deepak Choopra taking about the universe. Dodgy

25-01-2016, 09:50 AM
(25-01-2016 09:44 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 09:42 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I said great art does, not all art. Like a great novel is one that often captures some of the deeper realities of human existence.

"great art" Facepalm

i.e. The stuff people like to be pretentious about. You sound like Deepak Choopra taking about the universe. Dodgy

No, you can say what's "great" is subjective, and that what I personally consider great art, is perhaps different than what you would.

Perhaps human existence, and reality is a hideous and grotesque thing to you, like a pile of monkey poo, but for others it may be a thing of deep beauty and wonder.

25-01-2016, 10:04 AM
(25-01-2016 09:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, you can say what's "great" is subjective, and that what I personally consider great art, is perhaps different than what you would.

There, we can agree, because personal taste is subjective. Now knowing this, if you want to sound like less of a art-snob, try to avoid projecting your opinions as universal truths.

(25-01-2016 09:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps human existence, and reality is a hideous and grotesque thing to you, like a pile of monkey poo, but for others it may be a thing of deep beauty and wonder.

I'm an art major that studied for a practical field, in a school filled with other technical degrees. I went to school with industrial, fashion, and web design majors. I myself went to school for Game Art & Design. You don't get very far waxing poetic about 'great art'. The shit sitting in a museum makes up such an incredibly small fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a percent of what constitutes people's creative endeavors (i.e. art), that to segregate it off as the only stuff worthy of being labeled 'great' makes you sound like an idiot to anybody that actually needs to make a living being creative.

So yes, in my professionally trained and educated opinion, your subjective tastes are not wrong; but the way to talk about them makes you sound like a vapid and pretentious fool.

25-01-2016, 10:15 AM (This post was last modified: 25-01-2016 10:23 AM by Tomasia.)
(25-01-2016 10:04 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(25-01-2016 09:50 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, you can say what's "great" is subjective, and that what I personally consider great art, is perhaps different than what you would.

There, we can agree, because personal taste is subjective. Now knowing this, if you want to sound like less of a art-snob, try to avoid projecting your opinions as universal truths.

And you don't get to project that when I say something is great, just like when anybody else does, that they're expressing universal truths. I'm sure there are people who think Twilight is a better movie then Twelve Years A Slave, that Nicholas Sparks is a better writer than Cormac McCarthy.

Quote:I'm an art major that studied for a practical field, in a school filled with other technical degrees. I went to school with industrial, fashion, and web design majors.

And I'm the one acting like a snob?

Quote:that to segregate it off as the only stuff worthy of being labeled 'great' makes you sound like an idiot to anybody that actually needs to make a living being creative.

I know, when I tell my friends about some of the great restaurants in our area, it must be very offensive for all those other countless restaurants I didn't deem great, or haven't ate it to offer such accolades.