Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-10-2016, 04:07 PM
RE: Why?
Sorry, I forgot my point in my nerdgasm. Superman doesn't kill because he's a goody two-shoes, even tho he could easily kill anyone he wanted to and take over the planet. God proved in the bible that he's a total homicidal dick, so he obviously keeps the devil around because they're buddies. It's all about defining character traits.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
31-10-2016, 04:08 PM
(31-10-2016 01:53 PM)Squidlooking Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why god hasn't destroy the devil. Well like god maybe the devil is not real. Or maybe god and the devil are two sides of the same coin. Or maybe the devil and his activity is all part of god's plan. It does leave me wondering which one is really the evil one.

You do realise this is an atheist website, right? Blink

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
31-10-2016, 06:23 PM
All of this is fiction of course but within that context Satan is just God's little pet or employee, he's just the warden of the soul prison except they don't have rules about cruel or unusual punishment. God wants it to be as cruel as he can get it but he's all good right? So he got good ol' boy Lucifer to burn souls forever for him but he's still calling the shots so he's not all good. He could stop Satan from torturing souls forever but he just likes it too damn much.

Considering there is literally an endless amount of Gods we could imagine and create to worship why did humanity pick this one? Why is he so popular? I think God and Satan say a lot about us silly humans, we can't have a good guy without a bad guy even if the good guy created him like how Batman dropped Joker into the vat of acid, we create our own enemies...or something?

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
31-10-2016, 06:23 PM
Look at their respective body count and you're likely to end up wondering why the devil doesn't ditch that bastard.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
31-10-2016, 07:58 PM (This post was last modified: 31-10-2016 08:04 PM by Velvet.)
This is called theodicy and its a very extensively covered branch of theist philosophy, it has some attempts of answers, most noticeably the Free Will argument (that is still largely critiqued)

They are originally, of course, the attempt of makings excuses for people that want to somehow avoid the simpler and most reasonable answer that Yahweh is an evil character.

None of them even attempts to account for human suffering not coming from free will, like hurricanes and tsunamis.

My take on the theodicy of Christian mythology is the following:

Ultimately Yahweh, being an omnipotent and omniscient who knows all the events of the whole existence since the very ''moment'' he decided to create a universe, would necessarily account responsibility for everything that exists, including evil and suffering of all kinds, as he had the power to create any configuration of universe where said suffering wouldn't emerge.

Yes, that includes evil coming from free will, as he already knows the circumstances that lead any given evil to arise, and having the power to circumvent any given number of ''possibly evil emerging events'', he could leave the free will intact without never an evil act take place.

Is also arguable that some other universe configuration with a completely different set of rules could possibly not have suffering or evil included on it, making the choice of this particular universe that would ''give birth'' to evil his own choice.

There's also the idea that Yahweh could create us in a way that we wouldn't ever want to commit any evil, while still leaving the free will intact, a point proved by noticing that Yahweh himself being omnibenevolent wouldn't ever want to do any evil act (supposedly), and he still has his free will untouched nonetheless.

We have, another thread in which we discussed the subject quite extensively if you any any particular questions you can ask me and if it is within my reach I will gladly discuss.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
31-10-2016, 09:35 PM
(31-10-2016 07:58 PM)Velvet Wrote:  This is called theodicy and its a very extensively covered branch of theist philosophy, it has some attempts of answers, most noticeably the Free Will argument (that is still largely critiqued)

Please don't insult philosophy. Theodicy is a branch of theology.
Theology is not philosophy, it is mental masturbation.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
31-10-2016, 09:59 PM
(31-10-2016 09:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 07:58 PM)Velvet Wrote:  This is called theodicy and its a very extensively covered branch of theist philosophy, it has some attempts of answers, most noticeably the Free Will argument (that is still largely critiqued)

Please don't insult masturbation.

Angel

[+] 12 users Like DLJ's post
31-10-2016, 11:44 PM
(31-10-2016 09:35 PM)Chas Wrote:  

I don't think there's a problem with it when you know is not actually true, better understanding how Yahweh is supposed to exist helps me demonstrate better how he actually doesn't.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
01-11-2016, 04:08 AM
Have you ever wondered why Bambi's mom can't escape the fire ?

Answer - That's how the writers wrote the story.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
01-11-2016, 06:55 AM
(01-11-2016 04:08 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why Bambi's mom can't escape the fire ?

Answer - That's how the writers wrote the story.

It wasn't the fire, Bambi's mother was shot by "Man". Just sayin'.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user