Why?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2016, 07:05 AM
RE: Why?
(31-10-2016 11:44 PM)Velvet Wrote:  I don't think there's a problem with it when you know is not actually true, better understanding how Yahweh is supposed to exist helps me demonstrate better how he actually doesn't.

The problem with the "Free Will" argument is that Yahweh did not invent it. The phrase "free will" is not in the bible. St Augustine created that idea.

You need to point that out. Free will was a human idea.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
01-11-2016, 07:10 AM
(31-10-2016 01:53 PM)Squidlooking Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why god hasn't destroy the devil. Well like god maybe the devil is not real. Or maybe god and the devil are two sides of the same coin. Or maybe the devil and his activity is all part of god's plan. It does leave me wondering which one is really the evil one.

Welcome to the forum, Squidlooking. Are you asking the question as an atheist, a theist, or undecided?
01-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Why?
(31-10-2016 01:53 PM)Squidlooking Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why god hasn't destroy the devil.

Because of this.
[Image: a9a4554fe80a6dd5b244e5b5a750ef87.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like KUSA's post
01-11-2016, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 08:41 AM by Velvet.)
(01-11-2016 07:05 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 11:44 PM)Velvet Wrote:  I don't think there's a problem with it when you know is not actually true, better understanding how Yahweh is supposed to exist helps me demonstrate better how he actually doesn't.
The problem with the "Free Will" argument is that Yahweh did not invent it. The phrase "free will" is not in the bible. St Augustine created that idea.

You need to point that out. Free will was a human idea.

I wasn't aware that St Augustine was the first the come up with the idea, thanks for pointing that out.

I don't think that would make any difference tho, apologetics surely can ad-hoc some new reading in which they infer that Yahweh is (obviously) concerned with our free will. (even if many passages of the bible imply otherwise)

In any case the critique centers in the fact that it doesn't account for suffering aside from human actions, like tsunamis and hurricanes, and it doesn't even attempts to address this lacunae.

As with any free will theme, it also creates a conflict with the predestination of Yahweh's omniscience.

The fact that WL Craig don't ever use theodicy and prefers to attempt to philosophically prove that Yahweh omnibenevolence is not necessarily incompatible with evil can hint us that no theodicy can currently hold on a debate, even if the one who presents it is a very skilled rhetorician.

So in short, probably the best ''solution'' to the problem of evil currently is trying to prove its not be a problem.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
01-11-2016, 08:31 AM
(31-10-2016 01:53 PM)Squidlooking Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why god hasn't destroy the devil. Well like god maybe the devil is not real. Or maybe god and the devil are two sides of the same coin. Or maybe the devil and his activity is all part of god's plan. It does leave me wondering which one is really the evil one.

The reason there's still evil is cuz Chuck Norris wasn't asked to take care of it.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
01-11-2016, 09:06 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 09:09 AM by LostLocke.)
(01-11-2016 07:55 AM)KUSA Wrote:  
(31-10-2016 01:53 PM)Squidlooking Wrote:  Have you ever wondered why god hasn't destroy the devil.

Because of this.
[Image: a9a4554fe80a6dd5b244e5b5a750ef87.jpg]
I swear I saw those two at the Crowbar in Chicago back in the 90s....

------
And, oh yeah. Why didn't Jehovah just kill off Lucifer at the start?
Because no writer worth his salt kills off the main antagonist that soon into a book. Unless you're writing a very short story. Big Grin

[Image: fdyq20.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like LostLocke's post
01-11-2016, 09:53 AM
(01-11-2016 07:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  

Welcome to the forum, Squidlooking. Are you asking the question as an atheist, a theist, or undecided?

I've been an Atheist all my adult life and find it amazing that some people believe I should be punished for it for ever.
[+] 1 user Likes Squidlooking's post
01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
(31-10-2016 04:08 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

You do realise this is an atheist website, right? Blink

Yes I know this an Atheist site but going by the commits I read there are believers and non-believers on this site.
01-11-2016, 09:59 AM
(01-11-2016 09:53 AM)Squidlooking Wrote:  I've been an Atheist all my adult life and find it amazing that some people believe I should be punished for it for ever.

They have the moral comprehension of a lettuce sandwich.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
01-11-2016, 10:38 AM
(01-11-2016 09:53 AM)Squidlooking Wrote:  
(01-11-2016 07:10 AM)Aliza Wrote:  Welcome to the forum, Squidlooking. Are you asking the question as an atheist, a theist, or undecided?

I've been an Atheist all my adult life and find it amazing that some people believe I should be punished for it for ever.

I'm also amazed that there are people who think that way. I certainly don't agree with the theology behind their position, but as long as they can play nicely with others, then there should be no problem.

.... Except many people in these groups can't play nicely. Dodgy