Why Am I a Theist, not an Atheist, and Not Just Any Kind of Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
20-12-2013, 07:11 AM
RE: Why Am I a Theist, not an Atheist, and Not Just Any Kind of Theist
(19-12-2013 10:38 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  
(19-12-2013 10:34 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Hold on; if the universe must have had a creator by dint of it existing, doesn't that mean that your supposed creator exists, and thus would itself require a creator, thus causing an infinite regress of creators by your own rules?
Nature requires a creator outside of time and space, so the creator is uncreated, having no cause, but always existed.

And your infinite regress of creators fails for the same reason that if there was an infinite regress of cause and effects, you would have happened already having had an eternity to do so of your gods causing gods forever in the past.

Why doesn't your god require a creator? It sounds like something you're making up to reach the conclusion you want to reach. That's special pleading.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like RobbyPants's post
20-12-2013, 07:15 AM
(20-12-2013 07:11 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Why doesn't your god require a creator? It sounds like something you're making up to reach the conclusion you want to reach. That's special pleading.

His god doesn't need a creator because his god is timeless and has always existed by definition, or some other such nonsense. It's as simple as trying the rid the problem by definitional fiat. It's nothing more than pedantic word games and empty posturing, but he's too ignorant to get that (or he's a troll). Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
20-12-2013, 07:23 AM
(20-12-2013 07:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  His god doesn't need a creator because his god is timeless and has always existed by definition, or some other such nonsense. It's as simple as trying the rid the problem by definitional fiat. It's nothing more than pedantic word games and empty posturing, but he's too ignorant to get that (or he's a troll). Drinking Beverage
Well.. it just seems like all theists do is try to figure out as many logical loopholes they can find Dodgy

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
20-12-2013, 08:09 AM
(20-12-2013 07:23 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 07:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  His god doesn't need a creator because his god is timeless and has always existed by definition, or some other such nonsense. It's as simple as trying the rid the problem by definitional fiat. It's nothing more than pedantic word games and empty posturing, but he's too ignorant to get that (or he's a troll). Drinking Beverage
Well.. it just seems like all theists do is try to figure out as many logical loopholes they can find Dodgy

[Image: 73211c25.jpg]

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
[+] 1 user Likes WitchSabrina's post
20-12-2013, 08:29 AM
So since all superstitions are true, who wants to go ahead and worship some Gnomes? They are freaking awesome, protecting our gardens and shit. Another favorite, every house has a Domovoi, just respect and clean your home and be nice to the domovoi or they'll kill your livestock. They LOVE cheese, I leave some out by the hearth nightly. Not once have they not taken it.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
20-12-2013, 08:37 AM
(20-12-2013 07:15 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(20-12-2013 07:11 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Why doesn't your god require a creator? It sounds like something you're making up to reach the conclusion you want to reach. That's special pleading.

His god doesn't need a creator because his god is timeless and has always existed by definition, or some other such nonsense. It's as simple as trying the rid the problem by definitional fiat. It's nothing more than pedantic word games and empty posturing, but he's too ignorant to get that (or he's a troll). Drinking Beverage

Of course, you can declare the "universe" before the big bang to be "timeless" because there was no time, and that solves that counter. Special pleading is special!

Trollololol
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
20-12-2013, 08:39 AM
(19-12-2013 10:14 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  But Hinduism is false, because that would be silly for you to come back as a chicken if you were a bad human

Hmmm, I bet you'll come back as a chicken, one of those in today's farms , in tiny cages where they can't turn around and with their beaks cut off.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-12-2013, 08:48 AM
Dear sir-

I really think that this is the wrong place for you. I think you know at this point that you are not going to get positive responses. I think you know that you are not going to convert anyone. And I think you know that people here are bothered by your assertions.

I could point out where your argument is flawed. I could pull out my degree in classics and blast a number of your assertions out of the water. I could point out that I have a more extensive background in theology and philosophy. I could point out the logical fallacies in your language. I won't. That would be futile and I have other things to do. I won't pull out the scientific arguments either, partially be ause they would do no good and partially because they were not part of my deconversion.

I wish you luck if you intend to continue, but know that any preaching will not be met well. Any intellectual dishonesty (I like to believe that shown in your OP was innocent of intent) will be met worse.
[+] 6 users Like natachan's post
20-12-2013, 08:51 AM
(20-12-2013 08:48 AM)natachan Wrote:  Dear sir-

I really think that this is the wrong place for you. I think you know at this point that you are not going to get positive responses. I think you know that you are not going to convert anyone. And I think you know that people here are bothered by your assertions.

I could point out where your argument is flawed. I could pull out my degree in classics and blast a number of your assertions out of the water. I could point out that I have a more extensive background in theology and philosophy. I could point out the logical fallacies in your language. I won't. That would be futile and I have other things to do. I won't pull out the scientific arguments either, partially be ause they would do no good and partially because they were not part of my deconversion.

I wish you luck if you intend to continue, but know that any preaching will not be met well. Any intellectual dishonesty (I like to believe that shown in your OP was innocent of intent) will be met worse.

That was both sincere AND kind. Two thumbs up........ (for having patience to show kindness)
ThumbsupThumbsup

When I want your opinion I'll read your entrails.
20-12-2013, 09:07 AM
(20-12-2013 02:14 AM)savedwheat Wrote:  In fact, I can assure you the location in Hell Craig is going to will be far more punishing than the one you go to, because he knows better with so much knowledge.

[Image: a8.jpg]

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post