Why Am I a Theist, not an Atheist, and Not Just Any Kind of Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
20-12-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: Why Am I a Theist, not an Atheist, and Not Just Any Kind of Theist
Have you found any good agnostic forums? since I don't see you correcting this forum with its false header.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2013, 04:52 PM
(20-12-2013 04:50 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  So far there is no evidence for being an atheist, so you should revert to being agnostic.

Many or most of us are agnostic atheists.

I don't know or claim to know that there are no gods. However, since there is no evidence of any gods, I do not believe that there are any.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
20-12-2013, 04:53 PM
Agnostic atheism is a contradiction.
What Chas said.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
I would approve of this forum if it was called Unthinking Atheist.
(20-12-2013 04:51 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  You are agnostic not atheist. It would be wrong then to call yourself atheist.

Agnostic atheist.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
20-12-2013, 04:54 PM
(20-12-2013 04:48 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  If you make the extraordinary claim God does not exist, the burden of the proof is on you.

In case you missed my edit, whereby I added:

Something I wrote a while back in relation to burden of proof:

From the debates I have witnessed online, theists seem quite fond of continually shifting the burden of proof. This is also referred to as the "appealing to ignorance" fallacy. Theists fail to understand since they are making the positive claim that their deity exists, the burden of proof rests upon their shoulders to provide verifiable evidence supporting their deity's existence.

In most instances, after atheists have logically discounted the pseudo-evidence provided by theists, the religious believers resort to the typical last retort by stating, "Prove God does not exist."

If one is to remain on track, rather than fall for the fallacious tactic, one merely needs to inform the theist that the burden of proof is his.

Theists could state that making the claim "God does not exist" is a positive claim. They would be correct. However, the atheist would then refer the theist to the fallacy of attempting to prove a negative. Logically, one does not argue for the nonexistence of something. If there is absolutely no evidence to support its existence, it would be unreasonable to prove that it does not exist. The lack of evidence for its existence is sufficient enough for the claim of its nonexistence.

For example, consider unicorns. The lack of sufficient evidence for their existence does not mean that they could possibly exist. Where would they be hiding? Are they invisible? They are not real, plain and simple. They are mere concepts created by men. The lack of evidence to support their existence means they are not real.

If we can know that unicorns are not real due to the lack of evidence to support their existence, the same logic can be applied to the existence of a deity. If there is no evidence to support the existence of that deity, then that deity does not exist.

Theists can concoct all sorts of unreasonable notions to substantiate their faith, but in the end they are merely relying upon that which cannot be proven to exist. That is precisely what faith means, the veritable lack of evidence to support the belief.
Thanks for your time. If anyone wants to talk to me further, you can do so at Biblocality forums. I'm busy, and can't waste my time with mindless banter. See ya.
(20-12-2013 04:53 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  I would approve of this forum if it was called Unthinking Atheist.

I don't actually care whether or not you approve. Drinking Beverage

20-12-2013, 04:55 PM
(20-12-2013 04:53 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  Agnostic atheism is a contradiction.

How is it a contradiction? Since there is no evidence of any gods, I don't believe there are any. Doesn't preclude that there are gods, I just don't believe that there are any.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man