Why Am I a Theist, not an Atheist, and Not Just Any Kind of Theist

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 3 Average
20-12-2013, 07:48 PM
RE: Why Am I a Theist, not an Atheist, and Not Just Any Kind of Theist
The main flaw in everything you have stated stands in that you are using reasoning that is purely based in the experiences that you have had

Somehow, you 'Know' something can't come from nothing. How do you know this?

Is it because you have never seen something come from nothing?

If so, then you are using the exact same logic that I apply to the theory of grand design.

If I cannot observe it, I do not believe it. Thus, you should believe that something can come from nothing, because current theory in the field of science allows it to happen, and many things have been observed that prove it has happened (maybe even more than once).

You have also stated that this, 'creator', has been around for an infinite amount of time.

What is infinite? If you have applied the logic that you have to all else, to this, you would understand that nothing in this observable universe can be infinite, because it has come from a beginning (roughly 14 billion years ago).

And, if this creator is infinite, what limits the universe from being so as well (considering the fact that we do not know the rate at which the universe has expanded since its beginning)?

From what you have stated, I have come to the conclusion that you are clinging on to the last thread of faith while dangling over the wondrous cavern of atheism, and that you are only experimenting with new ideas; which is amazing.

It is good to think, and this thought will (most likely, if you continue to think critically and analytically) act as the knife that will slice the rope by which you dangle.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Ah, I see your argument's core now. It took me a while, since many of your sentences are jibberish as written. If I were grading that on a term paper you would have tons of red ink telling you to adjust your sentence structure. In essence I believe you are saying: "since you are not all knowing you cannot be 100% certain there is no god."

This is true. But neither am I 100% certain of the non-existence of vampires. That doesn't mean we have to accept that they do exist.
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
20-12-2013, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 20-12-2013 08:24 PM by savedwheat.)
I am glad you couldn't find anything wrong with my grammar since you weren't able to point any out.

You're slow so take your time with this.

You're still not getting it. There is no evidence for vampires. How does that compare to the trillions of cause and effects in nature and no hard evidence of something from nothing? Therefore, the universe can't start up from nothing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-12-2013, 08:21 PM
(20-12-2013 06:39 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  Is there any way I can get you guys to go to dinner with my in-laws and do the same thing to them as you did to this clown?

y'all kick ass!

Smile

What's for dinner? Consider

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
20-12-2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:I just wanted you to know what I believe, why I believe it and why I can't change what I believe, because the evidence is too substantial and powerful.

I don't give a flying fuck what you believe.

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
20-12-2013, 08:24 PM
(20-12-2013 08:20 PM)savedwheat Wrote:  I am glad you couldn't find anything wrong with my grammar since you weren't able to point any out.

There is no evidence for vampires. How does that compare to the trillions of cause and effects in nature and no hard evidence of something from nothing?

You apparently can't read.
A googleplex of virtual particles FAR outnumbers your "trillions".
Explain how your god caused Causality, if Causality didn't exist (yet).
Take your time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
20-12-2013, 08:25 PM
It doesn't matter how many cause and effects there are. The principle remains the same. Infinite regress is impossible.
20-12-2013, 08:26 PM
Since infinite regress and something from nothing are impossible, nature needs a cause outside of itself, outside of time and space, being uncreated.

This uncreated Creator is what we call God. Therefore, atheism is delusional.
20-12-2013, 08:28 PM
God always existed and brought the causality of nature into being.
20-12-2013, 08:31 PM
What about the causality of God bringing causality of nature into being? This implies two different forms of causality. There is one causality outside of time and space that is supernaturally invented and generated by God to bring supernatural elements into being and nature itself as well as causation of nature into being that is bound up in nature.