Why Americans are not tech savvy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-09-2014, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 12:42 PM by JDog554.)
Why Americans are not tech savvy
Back in March a study by VoucherCloud and published by the LA Times show that 11% of Americans think HTML is an STD. Also in this study 23% thought MP3 was a reboot to Star Wars, 18% thought Blu-Ray was a marine animal, 15% thought Software was comfortable clothing, and 12% thought USB was an acronym for a European country. Being an American this makes me really sad. My mother barely knows how to turn on her computer and she knows what a USB is.

Quote:VoucherCloud surveyed 2,392 people ages 18 or older and, according to the L.A. Times, “were given both tech and non-tech terms and were asked to choose from three possible definitions.”

Time Article

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 12:26 PM
RE: Why American's are not tech savvy
Some of those are pretty funny. "Hey, look at that Blu-Ray over there!"

Laugh out load

I remember reading a few years ago that some fairly high percentage of American schoolchildren couldn't locate Chicago on a map of the US. So I don't think it's limited to tech-savviness. I think Americans are just poorly educated in general. It's part of the culture. I remember reading a book in college (back in the early 1970s) called "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life" by Richard Hofstadter that made this case. The book won a Pulitzer Prize.
04-09-2014, 12:28 PM
What does this button do again?
04-09-2014, 12:29 PM
In this context, it should be "Americans," not "American's."

Smartass

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
04-09-2014, 12:45 PM
RE: Why Americans are not tech savvy
(04-09-2014 12:26 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Some of those are pretty funny. "Hey, look at that Blu-Ray over there!"

Laugh out load

I remember reading a few years ago that some fairly high percentage of American schoolchildren couldn't locate Chicago on a map of the US. So I don't think it's limited to tech-savviness. I think Americans are just poorly educated in general. It's part of the culture. I remember reading a book in college (back in the early 1970s) called "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life" by Richard Hofstadter that made this case. The book won a Pulitzer Prize.

I think we need to start educating better lol

(04-09-2014 12:28 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  What does this button do again?

Not sure if they know what a button is either.

(04-09-2014 12:29 PM)Vosur Wrote:  In this context, it should be "Americans," not "American's."

Smartass

Thanks! Fixed

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
04-09-2014, 01:05 PM
Its because if america was a school student, he would be the one with all Fs and a D

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 1 user Likes Metazoa Zeke's post
04-09-2014, 01:10 PM
(04-09-2014 01:05 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Its because if america was a school student, he would be the one with all Fs and a D

Since you called it a he you don't need to explain why he would have a D Laugh out load

04-09-2014, 01:18 PM
So the sky is not falling people. These kinds of surveys are completely unreliable. The distribution of the sample and the way the questions are asked makes more of a difference than where the survey is done. A bad survey taken in front of MIT would show that college students don't understand basic geography (when asked poorly worded and misleading questions).

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 4 users Like Revenant77x's post
04-09-2014, 01:20 PM
(04-09-2014 01:18 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So the sky is not falling people. These kinds of surveys are completely unreliable. The distribution of the sample and the way the questions are asked makes more of a difference than where the survey is done. A bad survey taken in front of MIT would show that college students don't understand basic geography (when asked poorly worded and misleading questions).

You are probably right but it still honestly would not surprise me if this was true.

04-09-2014, 06:13 PM
(04-09-2014 01:05 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Its because if america was a school student, he would be the one with all Fs and a D

If America was a school student he'd be the big dumb jock. F's everywhere except an A in gym. He's the one that sits next to you at university with the full paid scholarship (including living costs), despite being in the bottom 5% in High School, because he could grab some other big guy's titties and hold him in place for 10seconds.

Sweden is that girl that's just always top or near the top of the class, up there with Switzerland and Norway. Norway and Sweden are bff's and hang out with Denmark who's still really smart but likes to drink a bit more so doesn't have as good a grades as Norway or Sweden. Switzerland is that smart all-rounder who's also good at sport and gets along with absolutely everybody.

Austria is that tall blonde chick with the incredible hot body that everyone drools over.

France is the art freak.

Netherlands is the party hooligan but still manages to pass somehow.

Belgium is that boring guy that everyone sorta knows but isn't really friends with.

The UK is that center of attention dude who get's B's in everything. Thinks way too highly of himself.

Germany is that B+ student who's very efficient and seems to get assignments done incredible fast and easily and has heaps of free time. They just breeze through.

Eastern Europe are those C students.

Spain and Portugal are C students who have to work part time because they have no money.

Italy is that conservative religious asshole, but boy can he cook. C+ sorta student.
His dad is a priest and he belongs to a very religious family.

Turkey is that foreign exchange student that tries to play with everyone but doesn't really fit in.

Russia is that big bully. He had a bunch of friends but they ditched him. He now just goes around picking on people.

Japan is the math geek.

Canada is the B+ student that people have never heard of and forget his name, but he's a nice enough dude.

Australia is that guy with the long blonde hair that all the girls go crazy for. He's an asshole though, but the girls love that.

South America is the football team. Football football football.

New Zealand is the hippie bitch going around "why don't people think of the endangered sea slug!!" getting people to sign petitions to save the animal of the week or some such shit.

India is the weird foreign Indian exchange student. He speaks english, but nobody can understand him.

China is that group of chinese girls. They hang out only with eachother and never seem to stop smiling.

Yes, I am bored, yes I do have too much free time.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post